Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was out of toilet paper this morning

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Essilor is the reason why ANSI has loosened standards over the last three decades. Essilor is the reason why we have a “zone system” for cosmetic quality. How many of you remember quarter cyls had +/- 7 degrees? What is it now? +/- 14 degrees. And what is up with acceptable cosmetic defects according to zones 1 through 3?
    Essilor will never compromise? Perhaps not in their commodity products, but they have compromised wholesale/online product quality across the board. Why? Spoilage costs revenue. Wake up!
    Respectfully, I’m not sure you are acquainted with the underlying theory for these tolerances by Darryl Meister and Dick Whitney. Further, no subjective exam modality and its accompanying “precription” warrants slavish devotion to any standards.

B

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A very small fraction of the "science" that goes into prescribing and fabricating eyeglasses.

http://64.50.176.246/files/memo_on_developing_cylinder_axis_tolerances.pdf

They think that monkeys can do this, and they take all of this monkey crap and just stick it in a briefcase completely unaware that their success depends on something more than their shoe shine. You are the product. You, feeling something. That's what sells. -Don Draper

Robert Martellaro
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 10-22-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I feel that one must Know how and what makes “good enough” good enough to consumers in order to deliver real world value solutions that they will see and appreciate.

B
    I get the impression you are going to fire up "Barry.com".

AmIriteoramIrite?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Essilor is the reason why ANSI has loosened standards over the last three decades. Essilor is the reason why we have a “zone system” for cosmetic quality. How many of you remember quarter cyls had +/- 7 degrees? What is it now? +/- 14 degrees. And what is up with acceptable cosmetic defects according to zones 1 through 3?
    Essilor will never compromise? Perhaps not in their commodity products, but they have compromised wholesale/online product quality across the board. Why? Spoilage costs revenue. Wake up!
    Good lord, you'd think we were selling shoes and handbags.

"Consumerism".

Man, our professionalism has taken a gut punch by the non-professionals that have horned in to la cosa nostra. Now we sniff their jocks.

Way to extinguish ourselves! Let's mimic the problem-makers.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Principles that bind and unit us .............................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Way to extinguish ourselves! Let's mimic the problem-makers.

Here is from the Lions mouth:

PRINCIPLES
    THAT BIND AND UNIT US

The challenge of our mission also brings responsibilities: it requires strong levels of quality and innovation, exemplary professional obligation and social commitments.

It’s why all Group employees must observe common principles:
    – Respect laws and apply high standards
    – Anchor our principles in human relations
    – Use resources carefully and responsibly

continue:
    https://www.essilor.com/en/talents/p...les-and-values

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We will see.

Is "eh, good enough" their mantra as well?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good enough is a value appraisal.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Compromise lens coatings.
    Compromise lens materials.
    Compromise frame quality.
    Compromise style.

Don't compromise vision unnecessarily.

Yes, we compromise vision for progressive optics.
    Yes, we compromise vision for cosmetically thinner/lighter lenses.
    But it's a matter of a controlled compromise...a judicious decision is made to give the best of all factors.

"Oh, but I'm adding low cost into the compromise". Well, you don't have to...CR39 works wonders.
    "Oh, but I'm adding convenience into the compromise". Get off your fat *** and come into the optical.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed, drk.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Compromise lens coatings.
    Compromise lens materials.
    Compromise frame quality.
    Compromise style.

"Oh, but I'm adding low cost into the compromise".
    Well, you don't have to...CR39 works wonders.

............................and is still the best and most workable lens material on the market.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is obtuse to pretend that all patients want the highest standard of quality. I would wager MOST want just 'good', not excellent. Especially when they never have to opportunity to do a side by side performance comparison. Especially when most opticians can't explain the functional difference between a 150.00 progressive and a 400.00 progressive. And especially when the increase in quality and performance doesn't match the increase in price.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, but that's not what we're talking about.

We're talking about not taking biometric measurements, not seeing the patient in person, not doing a history, not taking physical possession of the prescription, not selecting the frame, not taking seg heights, possibly letting the patient choose the material as well...

...what a disaster.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I usually don't know what people are talking about.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper first price for a very catching thread title .............................

We're talking about not taking biometric measurements, not seeing the patient in person, not doing a history, not taking physical possession of the prescription, not selecting the frame, not taking seg heights, possibly letting the patient choose the material as well...

...what a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by drk

I was out of toilet paper this morning .........
    Started by drk, 10-18-2018, at 01:34 pm

................it looks like that you are still sitting there and might be getting the top price, for the most catching thread title.

1321 views, and 37 replies in 5 complete days.

I was out of toilet paper this morning
    Started by drk, 10-18-2018 01:34 PM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are we going to see BarrySantini.com or not? Is that what we're building up to?

Look people, in an age where you can decide whether you're a boy or a girl and can live in your own virtual reality and you can have "Your Truth" and you can have Amazon Prime deliver to your doorstop a bathrobe for $2.49 in 24.9 hours, I "get it" that I-want-what-I-what-when-I-want-it is the new normal.

But reality exists. Grown ups live in reality. You can't have everything you want. Sorry.

Perhaps it’s time then for optical businesses to embrace the gray area in returns and repurpose it to increase customer satisfaction, loyalty and repeat business....Mostly, try not to make your quest for perfect eyewear the enemy of making it good enough. And remember, all value approximations are, at their core, individual perspectives on what’s good enough in the eye of the beholder.

OR:

“Without the ability to use a pen, ruler, eye and ear to directly assess physical measurements and evaluate the look, feel and fit of a frame and discover the buyer’s individual needs, wants, desires and expectations, there’s no way you can truly make a great pair of eyewear.”

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Important words for all: Truly understanding what makes good enough good enough.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    what makes hoid enough good enough.

B
    I will ponder that riddle, Barry, for a long time.

Occupation
    Hoid is former King Elhokar's Wit and entertainer. He is a recurring mysterious character in the cosmere.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper According to the Vision Council of America, ........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk

...........................you can have "Your Truth" and you can have Amazon Prime deliver to your doorstop a bathrobe for $2.49 in 24.9 hours, I "get it" that I-want-what-I-what-when-I-want-it is the new normal.
    According to the Vision Council of America,

approximately 75% of adults use some sort of vision correction.

About 64% of them wear eyeglasses, and about 11% wear contact lenses, either exclusively, or with glasses.

Over half of all women and about 42% of men wear glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Follow up to my Invisible Man piece:

Tonite a previous client came back to my office. Had ordered their latest Rx inAR coated progressives from Eyebuydirect. Total cost was $89 for one pair, with an incentive to buy two for a total of $150.00, so they did.

Both zyl frames, one pair broke at the bridge in less than three days while cleaning: “They were so tough to clean and ‘rough’ to wipe I broke the frame while trying to clean the lenses.” I asked: “Did you exclaim SHEET?” “Yes!” Was their response.

The other pair faired better, but they thought the progressive was too high. I marked them up and found the PD accurate to 1mm. They had their order confirmation printed out, so I asked to see it. While their PD, measured by me, was 57, the order listed 59 as the value. I asked “How did you arrive at this value? Did you or they measure it?”

”No” was their response. “I just choose 59 from a drop-down menu because it ‘seemed about right’.” Tbe glasses actually finalled at 58mm, so close enough, yes?

Bigger problem was the finished Height. The circles/cross height was, assuming a 4mm drop, were 3mm above their pupil, so no bueno. I decided to perform an invisible man calc on the blind height, and found the finished height was more than 6mm above the frame’s Mid B. If these had been made using my calcs from the article, they would’ve been fine (3mm-4mm above Mid B, less 1mm).

We picked out a new frame, and I carefully measured the new height. Surprise! Their pupil turned out to be 4mm above the new frame’s Mid B. And I still subtracted 1mm for my ordered fitting height because they asked “to make sure the progressive is not too high...maybe even a little lower, please.” “And do you have an anti-glare that is smoother and easier to clean?”

Between the too-high height and the rough, low grade AR, someone has been suffering.

The new eyewear came to $600.00. Paid in full at time of order and accompanied by a loud “Thank you!”

Invisibility comes with a cost if you don’t know what you’re doing.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-25-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Total cost was $89 for one pair, with an incentive to buy two for a total of $150.00, so they did.

”No” was their response. “I just choose 59 from a drop-down menu because it ‘seemed about right’.” Tbe glasses actually finalled at 58mm, so close enough, yes?

…………….Between the too-high height and the rough, low grade AR, someone has been suffering.

The new eyewear came to $600.00. Paid in full at time of order and accompanied by a loud “Thank you!”

Invisibility comes with a cost if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Two pairs of nicely working glasses would have cost the patient 2 x $ 600.00 = 1200.00.

So that would have been $1,050.00 more for the 2 pairs purchased online.

Interesting…………and good income if you know what you are doing.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Then our websites for ordering glasses will be better than their websites for ordering glasses.

Thanks for the formulas!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry. Your formula for height has been around for quite a while. Check almost any cast PAL semi-finish blank....The fitting cross is almost always 4mm above geo-center. Most all cast FT semi-finish bifocal blanks are 6mm below....

I've read your article twice now. No offence, but you, at times, have a cryptic writing style. I honestly still don't know the exact message you were trying to convey, even with what you've written in this thread...

Are we (as ECP's) to shoot for mediocrity? "Good enough" for perceived "value"? That we will ALL (B&M's) be selling glasses online, so just shoot for averages?...

What I hope you were trying to get across is that meeting a patients "perceived value" is more than about price alone. That atmosphere, great products, precision and friendly, knowledgeable service all contribute toward the "perceived value" B&M's can offer that no online entity can. We need to become a looked forward to "destination" for products and services patients and clients want, not a dreaded place they need to go to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. Value and understanding that fine specific measurements are not nevessary to acheive an adequate result which will satisfy both current industry standards AND VALUE CONSCIOUS BUYERS 80-85% of the time.

And the awareness that hard skills are being surpassed by technology so the whole ownership experience is what matters going forward.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-26-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, lost me again Barry. Did you just say:

A. Shoot for adequate instead of excellence?
    B. If you have an average demographic, be happy with satisfying 80% of them rather than trying for 100% because 100% isn't possible?
    C. That hard skills won't be needed soon because AI will be able to trouble shoot 80-85% of issues that arise from bad refractions/fits/designs/measurements/ect?

D. That I need to put a keg in my dispensary and have a block party daily? (or just medicate myself daily and await my rapidly approaching retirement?)

Thread Information