Thread: Nikon package question...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Nikon package question...

I have a question for you all that can hopefully be answered (our local labs can't seem to)...at what point does the Nikon Performance Package plastic become high index? I've been told by one lab that at over -3.00, the package bumps to high index. Today our office got a job back (-5.50 OD/ -5.25 OS) and the job ticket lists 1.498 plastic. (Another lab informed me that past -8.00, the plastic pkg. bumps to 1.67) Any one with experience with the Nikon package that can give me correct information? Much thanks!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    hello TNOD,

I tried using the "Nikon Performance Package" a while back and it left me confused too. No one at my lab seemed to ever have a good answer, usually something like "the computer calculates it..." . Several times I ordered what I thought should definitely be a high index or poly, and got back an incredibly THICK lens. My solution was just to tell my staff to never order Nikon, because it was a crapshoot as to what material was sent. We went back to specifying design and material. I would rather have the job done right the first time than trying to work the package angle

jon

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

me too.

I agree with Jon. I don't like the package angle from a wholesale arena. That is more for the retail end . As for Nikon I was under the impression that (at least at the beginning), all the lenses of various strenghths were made froma sort of mid-index plastic. Only if specifically asked for would it be a high ind. or poly, and the CT would change depending of Rx.

I could be wrong but that was my impression.

Either way I just don't use it and make my own packages for the retail sales end.

ad

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Nikon Performance Package (NPP) is offered by Essilor through Avisia- a laboratory which represents a joint venture between Essilor and Nikon.

If you order a NPP lens in polycarbonate, that is what you will receive.

For orders other than polycarbonate, the index is optimized to the Rx. The Rx range at which the change from 1.50 to 1.56 to 1.67 occurs varies depending on the spherical and cylindrical power of the lens, and the index you receive should be noted on the job ticket that accompanies the order.

If you have received a Nikon Performance Package job which you believe has been made in the incorrect index, please feel free to contact me via the email provided below, give me the ticket number, and I'll be happy to do some research for you.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We went through the same problem when it first came out. They gave us 10 coupons for free jobs and said they would follow up and see how we like it. (They gave us a duffle bag and about 10 free T-shirts as well). Besides taking anywhere from 3 to 8 days to get the job back, we used 2 of the coupons on the same customer, in the same frame, and we were very embarrassed with the difference in thicknesses. We didn't even use the rest of the coupons, and nobody ever followed up to see if we liked it. Of course, this was awhile ago, so I'm sure it may have changed by now.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See what happens when you let someone else do your thinking for you. Download "Optical Utilities" see post in earlier threads. Then you can calculate your own thickesses in each material and decide what would be best.

Chip

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    See what happens when you let someone else do your thinking for you. Download "Optical Utilities" see post in earlier threads. Then you can calculate your own thickesses in each material and decide what would be best.
    I don't believe NPP was set up as a "think for the Optician" process (however, you have to admit that there is a large number of "opticians" in America who probably can't or won't take the time to understand how to choose the proper material). Ideally, it provides the optimal material for each job at a good price for the customer.

Johns,
    Sorry you had unsatisfactory results when first sampling Nikon Performance Package. The Avisia laboratory is a unique venture, and I know there are always set-up issues when using new equipment, software, and processes. Sometimes you have to start a lab up and run some work before you realize the program picks different materials for the same order, has a calculation glitch, etc. Having walked through the Avisia lab, it is certainly impressive and seems to be extremely capably operated. They generally produce very high quality work.

Like I posted earlier, if someone orders a NPP product and receive an unsatisfactory job, please let me know.

PS- OpticsLite, which is available through the OptiBoard downloads section, is- as Chip mentioned- a valuable and useful tool in figuring out lens geometry.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip:

My office averages over 25 jobs per day. That is not a huge # for you big guys, but w/ 3 employees, we're humping. If you have some concept of lens theory (as most of us do) you can ball park what the lens should look like, without calculating every job.

Sometimes we ARE order takers (oohh I said it), and I'm thankful when the staff has remembered to note the PD, seg, & material. You're darn right I'm going to let the lab do their job.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Pete,

Guess this question would be for you (or maybe any of the guys using the system).. I'm sure there are cost differences in all the materials, say a package in CR 39 package to a 1.60 / 1.67(whatever the indexes are available) so the question is how does a retail know what to charge if they do not know which material is going to be used?
    Just curious.. being in wholesale I don't get to see this kind of packages and how it is passed on to the retail accounts.

Jeff "grind em if ya got em" Trail

PS...Pete you ever check your P.M anymore? :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We were rockin and rollin with NNP for awhile. Not bad product, but to be honest, we found that it took too long to get and there were some material issues.
    Now, if we don't use RF we go straight to crizal package of zeiss package.
    I alos found it interesting that the NNP lab was contacting us directly for our business...an issue that didn't sit well with our Essilor rep.

We order about 10-15 nikon's per week. You have to specify polycarb or thin plastic when you order. Their computer should calculate it , but on a -0.75 lens will come back in a 1.49 and be remarkably thin. It will be generated as thin as possible based on the rx. With a -0.75 lens, would a 1.56 or 1.60 be even thinner? Not really. The only trouble we had with thickness is with a rimless job, but other than than, they are a very good product. They are doing a whole lot better with the turnaround time as well. We stopped ordering them for a while, but we are back on the banwagon.

Baseball season is around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information