Thread: |RUMOR| Rumor has it VSP and Zeiss are getting very close...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

|RUMOR| Rumor has it VSP and Zeiss are getting very close...

Zeiss has begun pulling rights to manufacture their lenses from all labs except VSPOne and the Zeiss laboratories. Rumor has it a merger among the Zeiss Laboratories and VSP is picking up steam to compete with the Eyemed/Essilor/Lux business model.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by independentlabguy View Post
    Zeiss has begun pulling rights to manufacture their lenses from all labs except VSPOne and the Zeiss laboratories. Rumor has it a merger among the Zeiss Laboratories and VSP is picking up steam to compete with the Eyemed/Essilor/Lux business model.
    I asked my rep and his boss about this. (Taken with a grain of salt of course) They said that the labs that they are pulling their product from are unwilling to invest in technology that they require as part of their partner lab agreement. Apparently the outlay is pretty big, so many labs are balking and having the product pulled.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I asked my rep and his boss about this. (Taken with a grain of salt of course) They said that the labs that they are pulling their product from are unwilling to invest in technology that they require as part of their partner lab agreement. Apparently the outlay is pretty big, so many labs are balking and having the product pulled.
    Invest in what technology? The independent labs invested and were selling their products already. I know of 2 labs that had everything that Zeiss required and they still got yanked.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fly View Post
    Invest in what technology? The independent labs invested and were selling their products already. I know of 2 labs that had everything that Zeiss required and they still got yanked.
    This is just what the management is saying. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I used to be a Zeiss rep. 2 years ago, Zeiss management gave us a list of VSP reps and said " call the VSP rep in your territory, become friends, work together to take work from E and Hoya". I remember a VSP trainer speaking at a regional meeting.
    We went through training webinars on VSP lenses and coatings. VSP and most other labs were kickin our butt all over the country and they wanted us to become friends? They are engaged and soon to be married. No doubt.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You were a Zeiss rep? I thought you sold paper at Dunder Mifflin?
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper could be that Zeiss is standing up against their largest competition.................

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bernard View Post

I used to be a Zeiss rep. 2 years ago, Zeiss management gave us a list of VSP reps and said " call the VSP rep in your territory, become friends, work together to take work from E and Hoya". I remember a VSP trainer speaking at a regional meeting.

Very interesting. Maybe there is more development in the near future, could be that Zeiss is standing up against their largest competition.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    The way I see it is Zeiss and VSP know Eyemed and big E are going to lock down as many products as possible. Soon there is going to be a line in the sand, you either have Eyemed and get a Lux frame with Varilux lenses and Crizal OR you have VSP and you're going to get a Marchon or Altair frame and Zeiss lenses and coatings.

Our longtime Zeiss rep quit a few years ago, stating then "Higher ups at the North America office are feeling pressure from Germany to make a splash. They don't care about lens technology like Germany does, they care about number of units sold. They're going to make a splash and I want no part."

The wildcard and other big factor is Hoya. They are opening their lens designs to independent labs. And since they bought Vision Ease, are they going to shift focus back to being a lens blank supplier? Why would they be opening designs to all labs?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    "Invest in what technology? The independent labs invested and were selling their products already. I know of 2 labs that had everything that Zeiss required and they still got yanked."

Exactly. If you have the equipment to do free form and want to pay the initial set up fee and click fees, you could do Zeiss.
    Last edited by independentlabguy; 10-11-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I clicked the wrong button, sorry folks.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Zeiss and VSP now Eyemed and big E are going to lock down.......................

The way I see it is Zeiss and VSP now Eyemed and big E are going to lock down as many products as possible. Soon there is going to be a line in the sand, you either have Eyemed and get a Lux frame with Varilux lenses and Crizal OR you have VSP and you're going to get a Marchon or Altair frame and Zeiss lenses and coatings.

Interesting post.......................................

Is a doctor-governed company,

VSP Global® exists to create value for members and opportunities for VSP network doctors. VSP Global’s complementary businesses include VSP® Vision Care, the only national not-for-profit vision benefits company, which provides access to eye care for its 85 million members around the world through a network of 38,000 eye doctors; Marchon® Eyewear, Inc., one of the world’s largest designers, manufacturers and distributors of high quality eyewear and sunwear; VSP Optics Group, industry leaders in ophthalmic technology and lab services, providing custom lens solutions for the vision and lifestyle needs of patients; Eyefinity®, the eye care industry’s largest electronic health records and practice management software company, and VSP Retail, which creates connected consumer experiences designed to strengthen the relationship between VSP members and their eye doctors. To date, VSP network doctors have provided eye exams and eyewear at no-cost to over a million people in need through a partnership with VSP Global’s Eyes of Hope®.

source:
    http://newsroom.vspglobal.com/vsp-gl...o_announcement

VSP GLOBAL AND ZEISS PARTNER TO DELIVER EXCLUSIVE OFFERINGS AND EXPANDED CHOICE FOR DOCTORS AND VSP MEMBERS

July 05, 2017

Source:
    http://newsroom.vspglobal.com/vsp-gl...nd-vsp-members

ESSILOR AND VSP VISION CARE

are working together to help you defend your VSP Member patients against eye strain and reduce their exposure to Harmful Blue Light

source:
    https://www.essilorusa.com/content/d...Sell_Sheet.pdf

The wildcard and other big factor is Hoya. They are opening their lens designs to independent labs. And since they bought Vision Ease, are they going to shift focus back to being a lens blank supplier? Why would they be opening designs to all labs?
    Could not find any special connections between Vision Ease and VSP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The way I see it is Zeiss and VSP know Eyemed and big E are going to lock down as many products as possible. Soon there is going to be a line in the sand, you either have Eyemed and get a Lux frame with Varilux lenses and Crizal OR you have VSP and you're going to get a Marchon or Altair frame and Zeiss lenses and coatings.

Our longtime Zeiss rep quit a few years ago, stating then "Higher ups at the North America office are feeling pressure from Germany to make a splash. They don't care about lens technology like Germany does, they care about number of units sold. They're going to make a splash and I want no part."

Consolidation continues....Hoya isn't much of a wildcard or big factor as they are always last in the race. Opening lens designs to independent labs seems like a desperate chess move with no future since these labs are already being squeezed out or bought up.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Zeiss has made an entrance into one...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Consolidation continues....Hoya isn't much of a wildcard or big factor as they are always last in the race.

Zeiss has made an entrance into one of the biggest retail-wholesalers..............let's wait and see how it develops.

Hoya is still quite, and so is Rodenstock, after pulling out of a startup in the USA just a few years back.

Rodenstock was in some financial difficulties and they escaped a takeover by Essilor because the European authorities refused to accept the deal out of competitive reasons.
    I heard that they are now owned by some interests in Saudi Arabia (not confirmed)

Rodenstock
    maintains production sites for ophthalmic lenses at a total of 14 locations in 12 countries.

Thread Information