Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The other shoe has dropped!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecare Pro View Post
    Hello Judy and THANK YOU!
    What is the process for presenting opposing arguments to the proposed deregulation? What will the OAV be doing and how can we become directly involved in helping?
    Join OAV! Our members are the greatest resource we have and we need all 1900 of you to win this fight! www.vaopticians.org

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Judy
    PM me and I will be more than happy to talk! There are reasons why I use a pseudonym. And you are right. It is unfair to put all opticians into a box, as many are highly qualified. Out of the 35 VA opticians that I support, 20 are excellent. It’s the balance that drive me batty. This is not an attack. It is more of a reality check. I bring this up b/c of the talks about deregulation that was posted earlier.
    I look forward to touching base with you.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper .....................that will be interesting to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

Join OAV! Our members are the greatest resource we have and we need all 1900 of you to win this fight! www.vaopticians.org

.....................that will be interesting to follow.

Will you be able to mobilize the 1900 members and give your side their full support ?

Here is the link to the full text:

https://vaopticians.org/wp-content/u...hmond.com_.pdf
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the state of Virginia is foolish enough to remove the Opticianry license, you can be a wrench in the works. Refuse to train or help any unlicensed employee learn the ropes; or better yet, teach them the wrong way to do things. Hide your skills and knowledge from them. Deregulation will depend upon optical managers training all new employees off the street. Managers, You will be the new Opticianry program (with no pay increase)! So, step down from management positions if at all possible. Throw away your ANSI sheets. What's ANSI, I don't know? I just receive eyeglass orders from the Mexican labs and hand them directly to the customer. There is no problem solving. If you can't see, we'll just reorder. No harm, no foul. We won't actually alter any parameters based upon our years of training, we will just reorder. See you in another few weeks Mrs. Smith. Oh no, the lensometer is broken. Oh well, I stopped using it anyway. Now that we are deregulated, there is no need to check jobs. No need to read prescriptions either. If you type it in wrong, it can just be remade. Hand out any old contact lens to anyone who demands them. This could be a big boost for business at Halloween. Never mind the micro-cysts! We don't need regulated professionals selling medical devices like contacts and eyeglasses when a part time fry cook can do it! Put the fry cook on the phone with the doctors office and let them interpret the prescription together. Open the HIPPA files to any stoner off the street! Yeah baby, it's time to deregulate! Think it can't get worse? Think again.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper You better find out who initiated this whole thing, .................................

Quote Originally Posted by WorshipfulMaster View Post

If the state of Virginia is foolish enough to remove the Opticianry license, you can be a wrench in the works. Refuse to train or help any unlicensed employee learn the ropes; or better yet, teach them the wrong way to do things.

You better find out who initiated this whole thing, and maybe by pulling the right strings, you could stop it at the source.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the state of Virginia is foolish enough to remove the Opticianry license, you can be a wrench in the works. Refuse to train or help any unlicensed employee learn the ropes; or better yet, teach them the wrong way to do things. Hide your skills and knowledge from them. Deregulation will depend upon optical managers training all new employees off the street. Managers, You will be the new Opticianry program (with no pay increase)! So, step down from management positions if at all possible. Throw away your ANSI sheets. What's ANSI, I don't know? I just receive eyeglass orders from the Mexican labs and hand them directly to the customer. There is no problem solving. If you can't see, we'll just reorder. No harm, no foul. We won't actually alter any parameters based upon our years of training, we will just reorder. See you in another few weeks Mrs. Smith. Oh no, the lensometer is broken. Oh well, I stopped using it anyway. Now that we are deregulated, there is no need to check jobs. No need to read prescriptions either. If you type it in wrong, it can just be remade. Hand out any old contact lens to anyone who demands them. This could be a big boost for business at Halloween. Never mind the micro-cysts! We don't need regulated professionals selling medical devices like contacts and eyeglasses when a part time fry cook can do it! Put the fry cook on the phone with the doctors office and let them interpret the prescription together. Open the HIPPA files to any stoner off the street! Yeah baby, it's time to deregulate! Think it can't get worse? Think again.

Yes, lets all lower our standards to meritocracy levels. That will show them...That will show them that B&M locations aren't any better than on-line. Please don't lower your standards. It only will elevate places like America's Worse (Best) and onliners perceived value.

Unfortunately, deregulation is in a frenzy across the country. Judy, please let me know if there's anything I can contribute to helping you maintain licensure in your great state.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At one time in the mid 1930s, Regulation was in a frenzy.
    Times change

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hate to break it to you, but what you are describing is exactly what I experience on a daily basis in an non-licensed state, it is pathetic. If you are advocating this course of action, you are shooting your self in the foot. It is precisely what they want. The big companies do not want educated people, hell they don't even want people making decisions. Give them a flow chart and follow the rules, no brains need. Then they can pay them minimum wage.

Occupation

Blue Jumper In many countries, most or all professions are regulated ............................

In many countries, most or all professions are regulated by the governments country wide. Learning and passing tests in different levels is an obligation, to receive countywide or even internationally accepted professional certificates.

This system helps to keep the standard of quality delivered to the end user at a maximum.

However this affects only the quality of vision, which are the lenses, their materials and correctness of lens powers and systems.

Spectacle frames however can be made by anyone and anybody in any material you want, and at any pricing you can get away with.

The free for all frames quality, started with the “commercial branding” of frame lines by personality names and not the manufacturers make.

So within these brands you can actually get a highly priced frame, that was made with inferior quality or older systems, like the old rivet type hinges, but a fancy “brand name” to it.

So it has become a free for all world in the optical trade, and the forces for deregulation have become more powerful by trying to go through government levels.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Yes, lets all lower our standards to meritocracy levels. That will show them...That will show them that B&M locations aren't any better than on-line. Please don't lower your standards. It only will elevate places like America's Worse (Best) and onliners perceived value.

Unfortunately, deregulation is in a frenzy across the country. Judy, please let me know if there's anything I can contribute to helping you maintain licensure in your great state.
    There is a donation option on our Facebook page for anyone who can help. Thank you!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    At one time in the mid 1930s, Regulation was in a frenzy.
    Times change
    Our licensing regulation was done in 1954.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Republican governors in Massachusetts occasionally bring this up and find it shot down by the democrat's in our House and Senate.

Who rules each branch in Virginia? Would a change November 6 create a more favorable legislature to keep licensing or are they, like Massachusetts, susceptible to "campaign contributors" aka corporate lobbyists spreading cash around to the right people?
    Democratic administration. Republican controlled General Assembly.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Intelligence and "savoir faire" by humans is not concentrated .......................

Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post

I wish I could agree. Alas, I cannot, not from my chair, and not from what I see on a daily basis.

I have worked closely with FL, NY and CT licensed opticians and never have I had any issues. The MD opticians, all ABO certified seldom give me issues. MD is unlicensed.
    Perhaps I’m expecting too much from our Virginia brethrens?

Intelligence and "savoir faire" by humans is not concentrated, nor missing in specified geographical areas.

Topnotch and ...............not so top notch professionals can be found everywhere and in any business in this world.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are about to go at it with CVS soon. They want to deregulate our Opticians license in Rhode Island.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyscream212 View Post
    We are about to go at it with CVS soon. They want to deregulate our Opticians license in Rhode Island.
    Posted previously.

One of the many deep pockets pushing this:

https://news.kochind.com/news/2017/k...ng-regulations

Thread Information