Thread: High intensity light inspection

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

High intensity light inspection

Good day fellow Optical Professionals,
    I currently use a high Intensity inspection light to QC my AR coating. Sometimes I may pick up small imperfections which are not visible without use of the inspection light.
    The Opticians are not able to see anything in most cases and they will dispense without having any returns in the last 6 months.
    Does anyone use these high intensity inspection lamps in the dispensary as part of your QC?
    Am I being over cautious and too stringent in applying a lab QC measure with special equipment to the dispensary?
    Thank you,
    SuperNova

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it's not detectable without extraordinary inspection measures, its not a problem. This is materials production, not mathematics, perfection is impossible. Look closely at the paint on a brand new car, you'll find plenty of little tiny nicks and scratches, but you're not going to demand the maker repaint it. Plus, do the same inspection of a customer's lenses after a couple months wear sometime. They should still look great to the customer and an optician's mild inspection, but you'll find tons more swirling and scuffing than the new lenses. Imperfections that affect vision or cosmetics, or eventually will, should be remade. Otherwise it's fine.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    If it's not detectable without extraordinary inspection measures, its not a problem. This is materials production, not mathematics, perfection is impossible. Look closely at the paint on a brand new car, you'll find plenty of little tiny nicks and scratches, but you're not going to demand the maker repaint it. Plus, do the same inspection of a customer's lenses after a couple months wear sometime. They should still look great to the customer and an optician's mild inspection, but you'll find tons more swirling and scuffing than the new lenses. Imperfections that affect vision or cosmetics, or eventually will, should be remade. Otherwise it's fine.
    +1
    Arc Lamps or other Hi intensity devices should be used for troubleshooting Quality issues. If every lens inspected has imperfections, then these devices will help in troubleshooting the problem.
    I know of a few opticians that use HIDs, and they are misguided in their belief that they are servicing their customers by rejecting any perceived flaw. The same opticians won't take a 1.67AR out of a zyl during adjustments, then return the lenses as damaged.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Good morning DanLiv,
    Thank you very much for your input. Getting the opinions of those who are more experienced is vital in making good decisions. Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
    Regards,
    SuperNova

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good morning Lensmanmd,
    You identified the problem that I am face with on a daily basis - the Optician wants that perfect lens and if they can detect anything to reject a job then they will.
    Interesting you mention the 1.67 AR in the zyl - I face this everyday - Is this universal?
    Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
    Best regards,
    SuperNova

Thread Information