Thread: Acetate frame won't move at all in the temples but does a little in the bridge?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Acetate frame won't move at all in the temples but does a little in the bridge?

I'm having a ton of difficulty with this particular frame I attempted adjustments on twice; I'm entirely sure they're acetate. I have tried using the heater as well as the hot box and even leaving them in for longer segments than I normally would, and they're not shifting at all. They feel slightly malleable but when I actually try to move them, all I get is almost resistance and creaking of the stem inside. This particular pair was transparent so I could see the stem in there as well and kind of saw the tip of it moving inside the acetate which I guess is where the creaking sound is coming from.

I heated the bridge a little to try to open that up since I couldn't get the more drastic bend out of the temples, and the bridge moved slightly more, but wouldn't hold it's new shape.

I had this issue one other time that was a pair of Kate Spade sunglasses for a client and I'm sure they were acetate as well and same problem, nothing moved, and even trying made the stem squeak inside upon opening or closing the temples from there on out.

Just wondering if this a particular kind of acetate or something I'm not aware of happening, because it's pretty baffling to me. I've been in the industry for a little over a year and adjusted enough to have seen a variety but this is stumping me.

Thanks so much!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What you are working with is not a true acetate. It is most likely a composite nylon or grilimid. These composites are typical in sports and sun frames, but are finding their way into more and more dress frames.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    What you are working with is not a true acetate. It is most likely a composite nylon or grilimid. These composites are typical in sports and sun frames, but are finding their way into more and more dress frames.
    Thanks for the fast response! I am truly confused because they have the weight of acetate, but I'd still say I was wrong and agree with you right away but the customer showed me where she purchased them and the item description has them listed as acetate in detail.

Maybe the company really has duped people and it's truly not. I can't think of any other reason.

Thanks so much again

Occupation
    For giggles. What is the frame, MFR/brand?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For giggles. What is the frame, MFR/brand?
    They were some I hadn't heard of. They were Kathy Ireland's brand by a company called loose leaf new york. No idea on manufacturer.

She showed me where she bought them and the listing said acetate all over and on the loose leaf site too.

Occupation
    I think that the description is wrong. It’s a glorified OTC at $40 on Amazon. The front may be acetate, but I doubt that the temples are. I would contact Loose Leaf.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think that the description is wrong. It’s a glorified OTC at $40 on Amazon. The front may be acetate, but I doubt that the temples are. I would contact Loose Leaf.

I had wondered if it was possible that the front was different than the temples. Makes sense considering I got the bridge to move. But it's a pretty thick acetate on the front if it is and it just wouldn't hold shape at least with that one adjustment. Now I'm really curious as to why that's not working but I'll definitely contact the company so I can find out and have an answer for myself.
    Thanks so much! Glad to have bounced this issue back and forth a little.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Their bargain became your pain in the ***!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well.. contacted Loose Leaf as of Monday and it's now Friday with no response.. I'm pretty sure they're not gonna get back. Kind of frustrating when they won't get back, especially if they've seen it but don't want to answer because if it is injected, it's misleading.

I guess I'll just put it down to what you all said, injected/ material that just isn't interested in moving. : /

Occupation
    Not surprised at all. You could always look that frame up on Amazon and write an honest review. If the review is a 1 star, I'm sure Loose Leaf will then contact you.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper You could always look that frame up on Amazon ...........................

Not surprised at all. You could always look that frame up on Amazon and write an honest review. If the review is a 1 star, I'm sure Loose Leaf will then contact you.

Superb idea....................

Thread Information