Thread: Blue Light Filter

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Blue Light Filter

As you all know there are 2 types of Blue filter available in the market one is blank based and the other is coating based. Wanted to know which is the best blank based or coating based

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Embedded is always better than coated, IMHO. We like the ClearBlue pucks, as it leaves minimal residual color compared to other brands. There are also Thin films with various reflex colors, as well as the old tint based solutions. All else fails, go the photochromic route.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Supposedly all Essilor digital blanks have blue filter , any other manufacturers ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Supposedly all Essilor digital blanks have blue filter
    Yup, love this. Now the whole blue light discussion/argument is a non-issue for me. All my customers get blue light protection at no charge and with no perceptible effect, like UV protection. If in 10 years the evidence shows blue light isn't that bad, no biggie it cost nothing. If in 10 years the evidence shows it is definitively harmful, hurrah I've been protecting all my customers the whole time!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Yup, love this. Now the whole blue light discussion/argument is a non-issue for me. All my customers get blue light protection at no charge and with no perceptible effect, like UV protection. If in 10 years the evidence shows blue light isn't that bad, no biggie it cost nothing. If in 10 years the evidence shows it is definitively harmful, hurrah I've been protecting all my customers the whole time!
    What if it 10 years the evidence shows that blocking 20% of whatever range of nanometers they deem "harmful blue light" is actually is no different than blocking nothing, But blocking 30% would have been very useful? Then all you got was warm fuzzies in your tummy for the last 10 years.

Huzzah! Everyone gets blue light protection! Does everyone who leaves your store also get sunglasses? If not, then its all still just warm fuzzies.

I also disagree that it costs you nothing. Essilor lenses are consistently some of the most expensive lenses available. IMHO, Comparable or better products can be had for less expense to you, and ultimately if you chose, your customers. It also costs you that you have to support Essilor, a company that would rather see all of us out of business.

Having lens companies add whatever they feel is good for our patients into lenses with no choice about it sparks a dystopian looking future for optical. Even more so than it already looms. If Essilor had the technology, I bet they would build in some type of DRM into their lenses. Please pay 12 more credits to continue using the blue light filter in your lenses.

I realise some of that might be a a bit of a stretch, more of a just some thoughts to discuss and a little bit of devils advocate. Nothing personal.

Thread Information