Thread: Which one is better? Essilor Xperio, Zeiss Polarized(Skypol?) or Hoya NuPolar?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Post Which one is better? Essilor Xperio, Zeiss Polarized(Skypol?) or Hoya NuPolar?

Hi, folks:

In terms of the UV400 protection and which one is darker in grey polarized lens?

Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In terms of protection, none of the above. Coopertone by Vision Ease on both counts.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper UV protection has nothing to do with the color or tint.............................

Quote Originally Posted by plumpfacelad View Post

In terms of the UV400 protection and which one is darker in grey polarized lens?
    UV protection has nothing to do with the color or tint. UV is absorbed either by the lens material or by an extra treatment done before tinting the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Xperio Gray is a Blue Gray, it's generally a fairly dark tint color are fairly true and I like it. Though I have to say Xperio seems to have gotten lighter this year, I think it's getting better but I'm not sure if Essilor changed something. Xperio Brown is a Gray Brown and patients seem to like it and it's fairly dark

I'm pretty sure Hoya uses Coppertone now (the Hoya rep was just in a couple of weeks ago) it's a Brown Gray if I remember correctly it was slighly darker than Xperio but there's a lot of Brown for Gray. Not as Brown as Xperio Brown but you will notice the color changes that brown causes (Personally I did not like looking out of Coppertone, I did wear it for a year but I could not wait for the new year to come so I could get a new voucher). Visionease (who makes Coppertone) was the first company to jump on the HEV light (blue light) bandwagon. Coppertone has been advertising blocking HEV for at least a decade (as opposed to the 2-3 years that almost every other lens manufacturer jumped on the bandwagon). I agree with lensmanmd it's the darkest of all the polarized gray lenses I've seen. Coppertone Brown is pretty much the Blue Blocker Color (so an orangey Brown) it's also a darker polarized.

I rarely deal with Younger's Nupolar (an occasional Image in polarized) the Gray polarized is a Black Gray, I've only experienced it through their polarized testing samples (a 2x2 piece of plastic with their filter in it) and it's a nice color with true color perception. I think it might be slightly less dark than Xperio historically. I can't remember what the Brown looks like.

I have never seen a Zeiss polarized lens so I can't comment on it.

This is just the Grays and Browns, I personally wear Xperio G-15 which I love, I don't know who else has any G-15s.
    Last edited by jpways; 09-27-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Zeiss Polarized is NuPolar, at least down here south of the border. You would be surprised by how many 'branded' lenses are made by Younger.
    Coppertone does make a Green, which is very close to G15. It is my favorite. Dark, good contrast and comfortable to wear. Coppertone Brown is good for when high contrast is needed in a darker lens. With a basic HEV spectrometer, all three colors filtered up to 94% into the 450nm range, 100% to 410nm

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I utilize Nupolar, Coppertone, and Xperio. I love Nupolar products, especially their variable polarized options, but Coppertone is THE darkest gray. It is also the most protective polarized option out there. lensmanmd is spot on here.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sell all three also, and have samples - because I don't want any "it doesn't look like I thought" or its "too dark or too light". You go stand in the parking lot and tell me what you want and I will do it.

Sometimes people tell me to "just make it look cool" and then I will decide for myself, but I like to allow the tint choice to be squarely on their shoulders.

Thread Information