Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual material for glasses production

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Zyl breaks down over time with sweat and body oil. I have to wonder how this material with be affected by sweat and body oil. Will it break down faster? Will the frame last less time that a typical frame? I can imagine temples that are nasty after a year.
    On the bridge of the nose, the material was starting to affect, but we fixed it. We further impregnate with hydrophobic substances.
    I test my coffee sunglasses for half a year already, and they are all right. If you are careful to wear the eyewear and do not break it specially, then glasses should last at least a several years.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Coffee Sunglasses by Ochis

The Devil is in the Details

The details are a bit light right now but here is the rundown from their website. The materials are all responsibly sourced and made from a combination of flax seed oil and coffee grounds. Their product page talks about the future of Fashion, being Conscious Fashion. And I love the sentiment. The glasses are handmade and they take approximately 7 days to manufacture. The site states that the coffee is hand tamped… I’m not sure if that means into the mold for each frame or if that means into the office coffee machine before they use the spent grounds. There is no word on whether the grounds are pre-used, or fresh, single-origin, Arabica, or Robusta. I would be curious if the company didn’t ship the glasses with a small sample of coffee so you could taste your glasses as well. All of this is tongue in cheek, of course, but I wonder about some of the processes behind the creation.

The Devil is in the Details

I would be curious if the company didn’t ship the glasses with a small sample of coffee so you could taste your glasses as well.

See at:
    http://www.caffination.com/food-n-co...unglasses-9587
    Oh, it's a good idea, probably we will do it.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Participate in our giveaway to have a chance to win my World`s First Sunglasses made of Coffee. Good luck!
    https://gleam.io/MHUpT/ochis-coffee

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think that if you've done a useful thing that decomposes quickly and is no less useful, it's grandiose! I'm excited about these questions, for example, I need a new coffee maker, maybe one of these, but I'm trying to find out how to dispose of it beforehand, and I have no idea where I'm going to go with this question. The big problem is plastic, which consists of a frame of some glasses and lenses, but I like to solve them, I need to learn how to use the resources we have on the ground correctly.

Thread Information