Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Unusual material for glasses production

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13

    Unusual material for glasses production

    Hi there!
    How often do you hear news about some new brands or new developments in optics sphere?

    For example, small Ukrainian company Ochis Coffee invented the first glasses in the world from coffee (coffee cake). These glasses decompose 100 times faster than simple plastic.
    They are made from recyclable material: coffee cake and flax shive.
    The frame is resistant to water, but if you lose glasses in the sea or dig them underground, they will turn into fertilizer in 10 years.

    Other outstanding features of the glasses are a pleasant coffee fragrance, matt finish, great tactility, and environmental security. There are adjustable ear arms which will match the necessary head size. Also, the frame has a flex system. And the most pleasant is that coffee frame is lighter than acetyl cellulose frame.


    You may find more information on the manufacturer’s website.https://ochis.coffee
    They are planning to start their project on Kickstarter at the end of September.

    Now organic items are in trend, and the whole world is talking about plastic pollution. I think it is a perfect alternative to the harmful non-recyclable plastic in optics.

    How do you like this idea? What do you think about organic glasses?


  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder rbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Gold Hill, OR
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    4,344
    We are seeing a resurgence in the growth of industrial hemp here in Southern Oregon. I may investigate fabricating some frames from the fibers which have some good characteristics. And, how about the cachet. Far out man.

  3. #3
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,812
    It seems lens waste is far more prolific than frames. Any breakthroughs on a bio based 1.6-7-ish material, with an Abbe of 70, shatter & chemical resistance, crazy high tensile strength, and a specific gravity < 0.75?

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder optical24/7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tx.
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,397
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOchis View Post
    How do you like this idea? What do you think about organic glasses?

    Neat idea, but the ophthalmic community won't support you or carry your product because you sell online, in direct competition with them. (though, other online glasses peddlers might.)

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC CANADA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOchis View Post
    There are adjustable ear arms which will match the necessary head size.
    Ear Arms???

  6. #6
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United States
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Ear Arms???
    I assume those nose arms aren’t available.

  7. #7
    Ghost in the OptiMachine OptiBoard Silver Supporter Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,054
    I have to admit, the idea of the residual coffee smell is quite appealing. I'll be a beta taster! - Oh, I mean tester
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  8. #8
    Ghost in the OptiMachine OptiBoard Silver Supporter Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,054
    https://www.greeneyewear.com/

    These frames incorporate real leaves. More for design but it makes each piece unique and tied to nature.

    https://www.modo.com/

    "ECO® biobased frames are unique because they are made with 63% castor seeds-" And they plant a tree for each frame sold.

    Coffee is certainly a new material, but there is competition for upcycled and natural eyewear.

    Best of luck!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  9. #9
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Blue Jumper I have been thinking to convert cabbage leaves ...............................

    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

    These Frames incorporate real leaves. More for design but it makes each piece unique and tied to nature.

    Coffee is certainly a new material, but there is competition for upcycled and natural eyewear.

    I have been thinking to convert cabbage leaves into plastics, because we can start with the colorless ones, and cabbage comes also in other colors which eliminates the adding of dyes.

    It is also cheaper as you can grow it in your backyard, and it does not contain caffeine which will keep you awake at all times if it transfers into you body.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOchis View Post
    Hi there!
    How often do you hear news about some new brands or new developments in optics sphere?

    For example, small Ukrainian company Ochis Coffee invented the first glasses in the world from coffee (coffee cake). These glasses decompose 100 times faster than simple plastic.
    They are made from recyclable material: coffee cake and flax shive.
    The frame is resistant to water, but if you lose glasses in the sea or dig them underground, they will turn into fertilizer in 10 years.

    Other outstanding features of the glasses are a pleasant coffee fragrance, matt finish, great tactility, and environmental security. There are adjustable ear arms which will match the necessary head size. Also, the frame has a flex system. And the most pleasant is that coffee frame is lighter than acetyl cellulose frame.


    You may find more information on the manufacturer’s website.https://ochis.coffee
    They are planning to start their project on Kickstarter at the end of September.

    Now organic items are in trend, and the whole world is talking about plastic pollution. I think it is a perfect alternative to the harmful non-recyclable plastic in optics.

    How do you like this idea? What do you think about organic glasses?

    I'm more interested in a frame that holds up over time -- doesn't break, discolor, etc. -- not one which biodegrades.

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    813
    Great idea, I tweeted about it to see what my customers think

  12. #12
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    We are seeing a resurgence in the growth of industrial hemp here in Southern Oregon. I may investigate fabricating some frames from the fibers which have some good characteristics. And, how about the cachet. Far out man.
    I have already seen one project of the hemp frames. The first samples of their glasses were not very good. But the glasses they are producing now are much better than they produced before.

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Neat idea, but the ophthalmic community won't support you or carry your product because you sell online, in direct competition with them. (though, other online glasses peddlers might.)
    Probably I will try to offer favorable terms and hope we will cooperate instead of competing.

  14. #14
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Ear Arms???
    Adjustable temple. They can bend inward or outward. Also up or down.

  15. #15
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Ear Arms???
    Adjustable temple. They can bend inward or outward. Also up or down. In this place. (you can see on a picture)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	14067
    Last edited by MaxOchis; 09-24-2018 at 10:20 AM.

  16. #16
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Ear Arms???
    Adjustable temple. They can bend inward or outward. Also up or down. In this place. (you can see on a picture)

  17. #17
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I have to admit, the idea of the residual coffee smell is quite appealing. I'll be a beta taster! - Oh, I mean tester

    Haha, thanks, maybe I will be able to send you samples.


  18. #18
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    https://www.greeneyewear.com/

    These frames incorporate real leaves. More for design but it makes each piece unique and tied to nature.

    https://www.modo.com/

    "ECO® biobased frames are unique because they are made with 63% castor seeds-" And they plant a tree for each frame sold.

    Coffee is certainly a new material, but there is competition for upcycled and natural eyewear.

    Best of luck!
    1. As I see, plastic is used in the production of these glasses and leaves are used only in design. Of course, it looks beautiful, but it not enough ecologically.
    2. Competition is great! It stimulates to grow and make the product better. Thank you, good luck to you too.

  19. #19
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    I'm more interested in a frame that holds up over time -- doesn't break, discolor, etc. -- not one which biodegrades.
    The composition of the frame is based on the coffee cake and biopolymer which prevents the rapid decomposition.
    But if to put the frame into the soil or water for a long time it will start to decompose.
    You can wear coffee frame not less than a couple years.

  20. #20
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kiev
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Great idea, I tweeted about it to see what my customers think
    Cool, thank you. It is very interesting to know your opinion. Please, could you be so kind to send here the feedback from your clients or give your twitter contact?

  21. #21
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Redhot Jumper

    Coffee Sunglasses by Ochis

    by Paul Muller | Design, Food n Coffee | 0 comments

    Here in the Northern Hemisphere, it is summertime and the hot glare of our solar benefactor is blazing down upon us all something fierce. Why not look cool and cool off with some shades? How cool would those shades be if they were made from a coffee-based material instead of plastic? I would consider that a fantastic start, but only if they looked as cool as they are. Enter Ochis a Ukrainian based company putting together a Kickstarter for the world’s first designer coffee sunglasses named the Ochis-Coffee. As of the writing of this article, the Kickstarter is not yet live, but we will update this page when it does launch. And you will want to pay attention since the first customers get a pretty hefty discount on the glasses.

    The Devil is in the Details

    The details are a bit light right now but here is the rundown from their website. The materials are all responsibly sourced and made from a combination of flax seed oil and coffee grounds. Their product page talks about the future of Fashion, being Conscious Fashion. And I love the sentiment. The glasses are handmade and they take approximately 7 days to manufacture. The site states that the coffee is hand tamped… I’m not sure if that means into the mold for each frame or if that means into the office coffee machine before they use the spent grounds. There is no word on whether the grounds are pre-used, or fresh, single-origin, Arabica, or Robusta. I would be curious if the company didn’t ship the glasses with a small sample of coffee so you could taste your glasses as well. All of this is tongue in cheek, of course, but I wonder about some of the processes behind the creation.

    The Devil is in the Details

    The details are a bit light right now but here is the rundown from their website. The materials are all responsibly sourced and made from a combination of flax seed oil and coffee grounds. Their product page talks about the future of Fashion, being Conscious Fashion. And I love the sentiment. The glasses are handmade and they take approximately 7 days to manufacture. The site states that the coffee is hand tamped… I’m not sure if that means into the mold for each frame or if that means into the office coffee machine before they use the spent grounds. There is no word on whether the grounds are pre-used, or fresh, single-origin, Arabica, or Robusta. I would be curious if the company didn’t ship the glasses with a small sample of coffee so you could taste your glasses as well. All of this is tongue in cheek, of course, but I wonder about some of the processes behind the creation.

    Stop and Smell my Glasses?

    The glasses actually smell like coffee, according to their website. Talk about a pick me up, but do they have a good mouthfeel if I chew on them. They have a matte finish to the material, but how durable are they? The questions sound funny, and some of them are only half serious, but I would love to find out. They will be available in 5 different styles so no matter your taste one should suit you, priced at 119 Dollars for any of the styles, before the discount. Which isn’t too bad when you consider comparable designer sunglasses can easily be that much.

    So either head on over to their website to enter your email address for the pre-order, or check back in with us periodically. We will add in the Kickstarter when it goes live. Until then, Here’s lookin’ at you!

    See at:
    http://www.caffination.com/food-n-co...unglasses-9587
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,196
    Zyl breaks down over time with sweat and body oil. I have to wonder how this material with be affected by sweat and body oil. Will it break down faster? Will the frame last less time that a typical frame? I can imagine temples that are nasty after a year.

  23. #23
    Ghost in the OptiMachine OptiBoard Silver Supporter Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Coffee Sunglasses by Ochis


    I would be curious if the company didn’t ship the glasses with a small sample of coffee so you could taste your glasses as well.

    See at:
    http://www.caffination.com/food-n-co...unglasses-9587

    Yes! Talk about setting yourself apart. That would be memorable and a coffee connoisseur's dream.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  24. #24
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Yes! Talk about setting yourself apart. That would be memorable and a coffee connoisseur's dream.
    Coffee snobs are very picky about their coffee, so it would have to be excellent coffee.

  25. #25
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    946
    Tanzania Peaberry, perhaps? Dark roast, French press, please.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Unusual Lens Form
    By go_hercules in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 05:39 PM
  2. Unusual Bifocals.
    By Moss in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
  3. Need consult on unusual case
    By Rockstargazer in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM
  4. Am I unusual?
    By Alex in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 07:58 PM
  5. unusual request
    By don A in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-10-2000, 11:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment