Thread: Essilor Ideal

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor Ideal

When looking at a patient’s lenses today. The engraving looked similar to the one on the Essilor Ideal. I’ve never used that lens (I don’t believe it’s available here). What lenses is it similar to in quality? Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Essilor Ideal = Worst. PAL. Design....Ever...

Putting 'em in anything else will be an improvement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not fit them in what you know will work better? I've never understood the mentality of trying to match patients old designs. I can not recall a single time switching a patients progressive design and it being a problem. Fit them in the best design for their Rx, lifestyle, and budget. Done.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Why not fit them in what you know will work better? I've never understood the mentality of trying to match patients old designs. I can not recall a single time switching a patients progressive design and it being a problem. Fit them in the best design for their Rx, lifestyle, and budget. Done.
    You are lucky! I certainly can't say the same. We have had issues in the past due to hard vs soft designs, different fitting styles (previous pair was set too high or too low), or the ever strange patient who prefers an Accolade when we had upgraded them to an Amp HD2C. I always like to start by simply checking what they are used to and usually check the fitting of the current pair. It doesn't mean I match that lens- far from it, but it gives me a good starting point.

As for the original post- I'd steer towards whatever your entry level digital is. That should cover it.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a fun and little-known fact: They called it Ideal because it was ideal to put it in the trash.

If you're looking to get a good feel for the lens, imagine a crummier lens than the original Varilux Physio. Now imagine a lens crummier than that. Where you've arrived is probably about where Ideal is.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'm with Quince, your entry-level digital soft design is probably going to be better.

Side note: Congrats Quince on 1,000 OB posts!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    You are lucky! I certainly can't say the same. We have had issues in the past due to hard vs soft designs, different fitting styles (previous pair was set too high or too low), or the ever strange patient who prefers an Accolade when we had upgraded them to an Amp HD2C. I always like to start by simply checking what they are used to and usually check the fitting of the current pair. It doesn't mean I match that lens- far from it, but it gives me a good starting point.

As for the original post- I'd steer towards whatever your entry level digital is. That should cover it.

I certainly look at what the patient is currently wearing and how they are fit. If something is really different than I would have done, I do some more investigation. Then I give them an expectation of how the new lenses will work and what will be better/different than their current lenses.

Amp HD2C - sounds like a new energy drink. I assume that is a HOYA lens from the unnecessary amount of letters and numbers?

Two people now have suggested fitting the patient in an entry level digital lens. I am curious to know why you would steer them toward entry level? Why not start at the best and work your way down if you have to?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Two people now have suggested fitting the patient in an entry level digital lens. I am curious to know why you would steer them toward entry level? Why not start at the best and work your way down if you have to?
    OP requested a comparable alternative. I would assume that the conversation about the differences between and benefits of different lens types would happen if it is necessary.

Occupation
    bretk0923- thanks! I was wondering what the subject would be as I neared 1,000

Kwill212- I almost never shoot for the stars unless someone has requested the best option, is already in that grade of lens, or has a complex Rx. My reasoning for this- and I do explain this to my patients, is that as their Rx goes up, it is beneficial to be able to upgrade their lens style. If I put them in the best now, then when they come back in a year or two and have a jump in power I don't have anything better to offer them. Otherwise I can see that jump and say 'let's increase the lens design so you don't notice additional distortion.'

To be fair, it sounds like you have less nonadapts or restyles than I do. I haven't seen a trend that would indicate this is the reason but it's something I will need to revisit.

As a side note- I work in quite a competitive area when it comes to optical shops and their pricing. In my experience, if I start someone out at the highest price lens and work my way down, I've become the stereotypical 'salesperson' and lose credibility. By the time I get down to the entry-level digital design they are out the door. My approach is to ask how happy they are with their current lens style and then suggest one step up in design. I also understand that maybe everyone else doesn't offer a plethora of tiers. It is a bit easier to have Good - Better - Best, but my list looks more like Good - Better - Even Better - The Best Better - Best - AMAZING - EPIC!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can wear any progressive from Image and Navigatior to Physio and Varilux X. I have pair in Ideal. It’s my least favorite progressive. So don’t feel you need to keep them in something similar.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I can wear any progressive from Image and Navigatior to Physio and Varilux X. I have pair in Ideal. It’s my least favorite progressive. So don’t feel you need to keep them in something similar.
    +1
    We did a trial comparison of Ideal VS IOT. IOT won hands down.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some labs will use the Ideal as a house brand lens. I've been selling the Ideal Advanced for years as a budget lens and have had good results. Is it as good as an IOT Alpha or this or that? Maybe not. But I'm not selling it a a premium lens.

Occupation
    The H40 is our entry level. Very successful.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    The H40 is our entry level. Very successful.
    We very recently started using the H40. So far, so good. For entry level we have been utilizing this along with the Seiko GX 101. I'd like to introduce more IOT lenses, but we have been Hoya strong for years and now that we have a better lab to process them, it's been smooth sailing. My only complaint (still) is the availability which IOT would blow out of the water.

Occupation
    Yup. I can IOT any puck.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Yup. I can IOT any puck.
    Whereas Hoya can only cross-puck the Array. Not my favorite lens.

Thread Information