Thread: Grrrr

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Grrrr

Plano -.75/+2.25 PAL in 1.67. Patient wants thinnest, lightest lenses. 51/17 frame, 58 pd. WTF! Optician never heard of Trivex? I will process the order as requested, but, really? This came from a licensed optician. How has our industry slid so low?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Greed? I had a similar situation a few years ago. A woman came into our office and asked me to check some glasses she had purchased at different practice. She was having trouble adapting to the PAL... +.25 OU / +2.00.....and they had convinced her to pay for 1.74. It's frustrating when you see someone's lack of knowledge being exploited, rather than taking the time to educate them so they can make the best decision for their needs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    But...... years ago an "licensed optician" wants sell me for a regular frame (53/17 frame pd 67) a 1.67 single vision transitions...

My precription is -2 cyl-1.5..... so.... WTF....I take 1.5 or 1.6 from another

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Years ago, at a previous practice, an optical sales member ( as far as I know we wasn't ABO or state licensed Optician) boasted how he had sold a patient 1.67 with a +.25 sph OU.
    I asked him "why? there was no need to charge her so much." His response was that 1.67 was a better optical material for her and made a better sale.
    He could have sold her anything else that was less expensive, like Trivex or CR-39 or even Poly, and did right by her by not charging so much.
    While he cared about his patients, he was more about the sale and sale experience (which is why his patients loved coming to see him) versus offering the right product for the patient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the stuff that drives me nuts. Pure Greed! When the patient actually learns what everything means do you think they'll be coming back? I care more about keeping my patients for the long term instead of just a quick buck. Does that make me different? Probably. Most people just care about the almighty dollar. Jerks. I've worked with a lot of them in my past. The one that really got me was the Optician who stole frames out of the Lion's Club donation bin and made plano sun lenses for them. He then proceeded to sell them at swap meets and yard sales. That's low. He even bragged about how much he made doing that!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It is frustrating to get this as an order. I'm lucky enough that I can often make appropriate changes for situations like this- usually involving the optician who sold it. I always try to ask because on great occasion, there are people out there that insist on certain things. It is possible, though I wouldn't say likely, that the patient Googled lens materials and insisted on hi-index. It is the optician's job to correct their understanding of light weight materials in relation to the Rx but some people are stubborn. The patient might have walked out at refusal for the upgrade-

-or I could be trying really really hard to find the benefit of a doubt for some sleazy salesperson. The world may never know.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    It is frustrating to get this as an order. I'm lucky enough that I can often make appropriate changes for situations like this- usually involving the optician who sold it. I always try to ask because on great occasion, there are people out there that insist on certain things. It is possible, though I wouldn't say likely, that the patient Googled lens materials and insisted on hi-index. It is the optician's job to correct their understanding of light weight materials in relation to the Rx but some people are stubborn. The patient might have walked out at refusal for the upgrade-

-or I could be trying really really hard to find the benefit of a doubt for some sleazy salesperson. The world may never know.
    That is true. The patient may have insisted on a specific material. I always note that on my order though. That way people don't think I'm the sleazy optician.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    That is true. The patient may have insisted on a specific material. I always note that on my order though. That way people don't think I'm the sleazy optician.
    Every now and then, you'll get that patient who insists on the thinnest material available. They've ordered it before, they know how much it costs. Making my patient happy with their purchase is my job. Determining their budget for them is not.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone using Modpal......my new current employer of 3 months is and has been putting EVERYONE who walked through the door in TRIVEX/167/74 Spectrum Plus....(one lens I have never sold in 35 years of dispensing) now we going to be Modpal..!?? .....any insight on this would greatly be appreciated.....I love my Varilux

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is Modpal

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    What is Modpal
    First for me, too. Please enlighten us spexblu

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Every now and then, you'll get that patient who insists on the thinnest material available. They've ordered it before, they know how much it costs. Making my patient happy with their purchase is my job. Determining their budget for them is not.
    Understood. But isn’t it our jobs to provide professional guidance to those that are under/over/mis/informed? Google is not the wherewithal. It’s not about budget, it’s about the best available options.

Occupation
    Nevermind. Found a link. Modpal is ABB Optical’s fully compensated FF Pal.
    https://www.abboptical.com/eyewear-l...al-eye-lab/mod
    Sorry, ABB, other designs do the same f’n thing. Most likely a customized design by one of the FF vendors.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Understood. But isn’t it our jobs to provide professional guidance to those that are under/over/mis/informed? Google is not the wherewithal. It’s not about budget, it’s about the best available options.
    I agree. If it is a trend than it is something that should be acted upon. Someone, somewhere needs to have a second set of eyes on their sales until they can properly place people in the correct materials.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yeah the MODpal is one of Digital Eye labs lenses. The rep told me it was based on a Rodenstock design long ago, though someone here disputed that claim when I said it years ago.

Thread Information