Thread: Best Material for Moderate Prism?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Material for Moderate Prism?

Hi all! My doc recently gave me a new Rx that is stronger than my last one. It way improves my vision over my old pair. It has fairly high prism but is low in other areas of Rx. I have spoken to other opticians, gotten wonderful feedback, and the general consensus is I should go with either CR-39, 1.60, or 1.67 for best optics. The Rx is:

-0.75 sph with 5 D BI +1.50 Add

-0.75 -0.50 x 150 with 5 D BI + 1.50 Add

I have no vision perks/benefits and the new Rx would probably cost me a bundle. I'll ask the labs I've done business with if they might be willing to help, but I want to be very specific about what to ask for. Would anyone chime in with their opinion on material? I'm not a visually picky person. I've worn lots of materials and progressive styles. But I can't handle narrow corridor progressives. I will be using a 49 or 50 eye metal POF, and eyewear tends to dig into my nose.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally I would go with a 1.74. I like my camber lenses. The digital design I have is very comfortable (It is a lab in house design). Keeping it lighter and thinner would help with the digging in the nose. CR39 with that high of prism will be heavy. I would think that your lab would give you some kind of discount if you do your work with them They may even give you some suggestions to help with adaptation with the lens design. Most labs would. I know our local lab gives opticians and Dr's at their accounts free pair/year.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I just made my father's Rx. Only slightly stronger than your Rx with 3.75 Base In prism. We went for Trivex in a 59 eye semi-rimless with his ~70 PD. The prism correction has only been a part of his Rx in the past 2-3 years but he has worn Trivex for years. I think for his next Rx I will have him try Tribrid though, as the prism has been steadily increasing.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Personally I would go with a 1.74. I like my camber lenses. The digital design I have is very comfortable (It is a lab in house design). Keeping it lighter and thinner would help with the digging in the nose. CR39 with that high of prism will be heavy. I would think that your lab would give you some kind of discount if you do your work with them They may even give you some suggestions to help with adaptation with the lens design. Most labs would. I know our local lab gives opticians and Dr's at their accounts free pair/year.

1.74 with 5D prism OU, hard pass from me. Assuming they are in a well centered frame as they should be. Trivex, Tribrid, or 1.60 gets my vote.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Trivex or 1.60, or even CR39, but the frame choice is the MOST important thing.

This is one of those instances where if someone refuses to take my suggestions I almost feel like making them sign a waver.

Safilo's new flagship line of frames has great larger DBL small A measurement frames, that take a knife edge really well. I have done some good prism stuff in them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I agree with Trivex or 1.60, or even CR39,....
    You want a high abbe material with prisms. Low abbe's mess more with LCA's.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You want a high abbe material with prisms. Low abbe's mess more with LCA's.
    For "first time" prism corrections I almost always like to start with CR39 in an extremely well fit frame (usually an affordable budget type). Then next year, or in 6 months, if the person really wants too I will try a higher index for them - letting them know that I don't think it is a good idea, but I have seen people work well in 1.67 Prism, but I'm sure there is some "I don't care I like my thin glasses" going on in their minds. They can't blame me though!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1.60 with AR.

Thread Information