Thread: Labs that provide RX bpi 550 tinting service

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Labs that provide RX bpi 550 tinting service

Does anyone know of any independent lab (in us and canada) which provides rx lens tinted in BPI 500/550 and 540 diamond dye or equivalent?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Go to the BPI web site and buy yourself a basic tint tank. Tinting lenses in your own office is a license to print money.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

..................or use my patented Microtint system, were you tint simply in you microwave oven, you already have, to make your tea, and no need to buy the tinting unit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tf50fm View Post
    Does anyone know of any independent lab (in us and canada) which provides rx lens tinted in BPI 500/550 and 540 diamond dye or equivalent?
    Any lab or office with a tint machine can purchase a bottle of the dye from BPI. Just curious why you need such high UV protection? The orange/red color is not very cosmetically desirable.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Any lab or office with a tint machine can purchase a bottle of the dye from BPI. Just curious why you need such high UV protection? The orange/red color is not very cosmetically desirable.

I am seeing requests for it from OD's for therapeutic use (concussions / migraines). I am suspecting there was a study or seminar that happened recently that caused this sudden interest in those tints. I think the 550 can also help with certain colour blindess too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh good grief - the old FL-41 "magic tint" thing again. The problem is 99.99999% of doctors never do any actual clinical testing to *actually* determine if there is ANY benefit to their particular patient WHATSOEVER. But it get prescribes like its some magical flaming sword that cure's everything "migraine" related. Funny thing is, the tint was developed in the late 80's-early 90's, when monochrome CRT monitors and horrific green fluorescent office lighting were much more the norm. Certainly, there are probably very limited cases where this type of therapy could be clinically tested for, and properly prescribed - both in terms of specific tint color, and of course, density for a given working environment.

But that, of course, is literally NEVER done by prescribing physicians.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Forgeting about all this "therapeutic" malarkey. It's the dollars that count rather than all this "medical" marketing bologna. You dye tank will pay for a weeks ski vacation in Switzerland every year or you can upgrade that tinker toy 28 footer that you have been sailing. Perhaps I overstate the value of tinting plastic lenses but I think that the dye tank, more than any other single factor, with the possible exception of the Feds mandating dress safety standards, contributed to the popularity of CR-39 lenses back in the sixties.

At that time I was working at a Guild shop and the majority of our dispensed lenses were glass. The acceptance of polymer lenses was the simple fact that we could pull a pair of finished single vision lenses from stock, edge them and then drop them in the dye tank for a few minutes and charge an extra $25.00 for them. In addition to regular sun glass lenses we had "fashion" tints, gradient tints, multicolored tints and we even sold some plaid tints.

With very few exceptions every lens that left our office was untinted.

Make em smile - earn a pile!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Forgetting about all this "therapeutic" malarkey .........................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Forgetting about all this "therapeutic" malarkey. It's the dollars that count rather than all this "medical" marketing bologna. You dye tank will pay for a weeks ski vacation in Switzerland every year or you can upgrade that tinker toy 28 footer that you have been sailing. Perhaps I overstate the value of tinting plastic lenses but I think that the dye tank, more than any other single factor, with the possible exception of the Feds mandating dress safety standards, contributed to the popularity of CR-39 lenses back in the sixties.

Make em smile - earn a pile!

Dick, you just hit the nail on its head ......................

These days tinting yourself is like getting the plague. It is much better to have it done 1,000 miles away, and pay multiple times more than doing it yourself.

Today we can get fanciest name colors

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I am seeing requests for it from OD's for therapeutic use (concussions / migraines). I am suspecting there was a study or seminar that happened recently that caused this sudden interest in those tints. I think the 550 can also help with certain colour blindess too.
    There has been studies done and there are about 6 colors that are used to treat a few conditions such as migraines, anxiety, autism etc.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know nobody asked, but this is a great resource with white papers and evidence based links for commonly used tints.

http://colorlenses.com
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    I know nobody asked, but this is a great resource with white papers and evidence based links for commonly used tints.

http://colorlenses.com

+1

I have this bookmarked. Great resource.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SO multiple lens colors for singular symptoms / retinopathy / etc. And NO densities listed. What were the testing methods used, and is the prescribing doctor using the same in chair? I bet you the last 30 years of my salary they are not. See the issue?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Go to the BPI web site and buy yourself a basic tint tank. Tinting lenses in your own office is a license to print money.
    Sounds dreamy, wish I had been there. I fire up the ol BPI every now and then.

Maybe one day you guys can show me how to spearhunt a mastadon. j/k

Thread Information