Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastal is back with new website .....................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Coastal is back with new website .....................................

VANCOUVER, April 28, 2014 /CNW/ -Coastal Contacts Inc. ("Coastal.com" or "theCompany") (NASDAQ: COA)(TSX: COA) announced today the completion of the plan of arrangement under which Essilor International (Compagnie Générale d'Optique), S.A.("Essilor") has indirectly acquired all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Coastal.com for a purchase price of CAD$12.45 per share (the"Transaction")

With The completion of the Transaction, Coastal.com's common shares are expected to cease trading and be delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange following the close of trading on May 1, 2014. Coastal.com's shares will be suspended from trading on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange following the close of trading on April 28, 2014.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...514163731.html

Coastal is back with a new website 2018.....................................

Interesting. as the company was renamed CLEARLY a while ago and now this new website registered by :

*Copyright © 2018 Clearly. All rights reserved.*

has now popped up under the old name and registration of COASTAL with all the latest and newest ideas,

at:

https://www.coastal.com

and has an impressive Alex ranking of:

A global Alexa rank of 53,504
    and a USA ranking of 12,062
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 08-26-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper There can be only one reason, in my assumption ............................

There can be only one reason, in my assumption, that they did not get the expected repeat customers back from 2014, the year they bought Coastal and then changed the name to Clearly.

Internet retail sellers just use the name, a phone number, and a e-mail address, and therefore remain incognito.

So if *Joe Blow* wanted a new pair of glasses 3-4 years later he could not find them anymore, and they must have lost a ton of repeat customers, and are coming back under the old name.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There can be only one reason, in my assumption, that they did not get the expected repeat customers back from 2014, the year they bought Coastal and then changed the name to Clearly.

Internet retail sellers just use the name, a phone number, and a e-mail address, and therefore remain incognito.

So if *Joe Blow* wanted a new pair of glasses 3-4 years later he could not find them anymore, and they must have lost a ton of repeat customers, and are coming back under the old name.
    Which brings us back to my post of last week stating that my Essilor rep told me that they were unable at this point to grow Clearly's market penetration.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Which brings us back to my post of last week stating that my Essilor rep told me that they were unable at this point to grow Clearly's market penetration.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Couldn't agree more it has flat lined. Great news for those independents! Everybody gets burned once.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The Coastal site has made an instant comeback in website traffic. ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Couldn't agree more it has flat lined. Great news for those independents! Everybody gets burned once.

.................i really thought you guys were somewhat internet savvy, but it looks that I was way mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser

and has an impressive Alexa ranking of:

A global Alexa rank of
    and a USA ranking of 12,062

Optiboard which is a very successful site, has an Alexa ranking in the 130,000,th.

Which means that Coastal has nearly ten times the amount of USA Website traffic to their site.

You guy s have been rejoicing way to early, the new *Coastal* site looks, and shows that it is like an instant super success, and does not have to wait a few months to get better ranking.

The Coastal site has made an instant comeback in website traffic. ........................and it looks like everybody wants to get burned again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    .................i really thought you guys were somewhat internet savvy, but it looks that I was way mistaken.

Optiboard which is a very successful site, has an Alexa ranking in the 130,000,th.

Which means that Coastal has nearly ten times the amount of USA Website traffic to their site.

You guy s have been rejoicing way to early, the new *Coastal* site looks, and shows that it is like an instant super success, and does not have to wait a few months to get better ranking.

The Coastal site has made an instant comeback in website traffic. ........................and it looks like everybody wants to get burned again.
    Chris, traffic rankings do not imply sales. Every consumer shops around before making a decision which includes using the sites as showrooms and to compare prices before making the decision of whether to buy online or go the B&M route.

E commerce is definitely not a fad, but I think has peaked in eyewear sales. B&M locations may decrease but will always remain with those savvy owners that are on top of their game.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris Grim Reaper Ryser.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Having worked in the online marketing industry while on a hiatus from Optical I take very little stock in what the numbers say. It is so easy to buy clicks these days.

Occupation

Blue Jumper It is so easy to buy clicks these days.........................

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post

Having worked in the online marketing industry while on a hiatus from Optical I take very little stock in what the numbers say. It is so easy to buy clicks these days.

That is possible......................however in the 18 years I had my 2 sites I never paid anybody for ranking, I just kept the pages updated on a daily basis.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Our aim at Coastal has always been to improve your ................................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

.................... Now that "Clearly" has been re-baptized to its former name "COASTAL" with a brand new website in the latest Essilor style at

https://www.coastal.com/eyewear/our-mission

and are giving away eyeglasses to the poor in other countries.

"Sight is one of our most important sensesas it enables us to read, learn, work and enjoy life. So when this sense ishindered, it can mean major life challenges, making it more difficult tonavigate through life. That is why we are proud to announce the launch of our Buy One, GiveOne program. Our aim at Coastal has always been to improve yourlife by improving your sight, and through our partnership with the EssilorVision Foundation we’re able to fulfil this on a global scale. "

2017 alone has seen more than 1.5 million people screened and over 400,000 pairs of glasses given to people in need. But despite this great accomplishment, there’s still more to be done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    .................... Now that "Clearly" has been re-baptized to its former name "COASTAL" with a brand new website in the latest Essilor style at

https://www.coastal.com/eyewear/our-mission

and are giving away eyeglasses to the poor in other countries.

"Sight is one of our most important sensesas it enables us to read, learn, work and enjoy life. So when this sense ishindered, it can mean major life challenges, making it more difficult tonavigate through life. That is why we are proud to announce the launch of our Buy One, GiveOne program. Our aim at Coastal has always been to improve yourlife by improving your sight, and through our partnership with the EssilorVision Foundation we’re able to fulfil this on a global scale. "

2017 alone has seen more than 1.5 million people screened and over 400,000 pairs of glasses given to people in need. But despite this great accomplishment, there’s still more to be done.

Utilizing philanthropy to win back ECP's?

Occupation

Blue Jumper I am not so sure that philanthropy is the case.................

Utilizing philanthropy to win back ECP's?

I am not so sure that philanthropy is the case.................

Personally I am more of the opinion that the change back of the company name to "COASTAL" is the real reason to get back on track in the online optical world, that had a total increase of up to 15.5 % of total optical sales at the last count.

They (Essilor) are preparing for the merger and want to have the most powerful optical online presence ever seen.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I am not so sure that philanthropy is the case.................

Personally I am more of the opinion that the change back of the company name to "COASTAL" is the real reason to get back on track in the online optical world, that had a total increase of up to 15.5 % of total optical sales at the last count.

They (Essilor) are preparing for the merger and want to have the most powerful optical online presence ever seen.
    Perhaps globally online sales are up, but they are flat in Clearly.

The name change is just a desperate move to try and re-familiarize past customers, re-ignite and stimulate sales growth. Personally, the Clearly name is much better for the optical industry branding. Coastal sounds like a vacation resort spa.

The problem isn't with the name, it's the fact that most online eyeglass customers try the service once or twice then stop and return to their B&M retailer. Prices in retailers have been declining, and Clearly's prices have been increasing to the point where the two will soon match.

At that point, there is zero value for the consumer to utilize the service.

Occupation

Blue Jumper The name change is just a desperate move .................................

Perhaps globally online sales are up, but they are flat in Clearly.

The name change is just a desperate move to try and re-familiarize past customers, re-ignite and stimulate sales growth. Personally, the Clearly name is much better for the optical industry branding. Coastal sounds like a vacation resort spa.

..................that is exactly why I said they changed the name back to "Coastal", which had been one of the best selling online opticals 4 years ago when they paid some $ 40 million for it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    ..................that is exactly why I said they changed the name back to "Coastal", which had been one of the best selling online opticals 4 years ago when they paid some $ 40 million for it.
    To be specific, it was $435 million, and never made a single dollar profit in its history.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To be specific, it was $435 million, and never made a single dollar profit in its history.
    So it paid no taxes but reinvested everything back into the company?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ............so I am assuming that they did not get blindfolded into this venture.....

..............however I would bet all the tea in China, that none of any share holders of that corporation was unhappy with the amount they got paid for that sudden value increase of their shares.

.............furthermore E is a company that studies every move they make in depth and at length into the future and take their time doing it.

............so I am assuming that they did not get blindfolded into this venture and their future, and will be able to prove your statement invalid in due time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    ..............however I would bet all the tea in China, that none of any share holders of that corporation was unhappy with the amount they got paid for that sudden value increase of their shares.

.............furthermore E is a company that studies every move they make in depth and at length into the future and take their time doing it.

............so I am assuming that they did not get blindfolded into this venture and their future, and will be able to prove your statement invalid in due time.
    Chris, the only one laughing on that deal is Roger Hardy. In fact, he laughed so hard on that grand slam he opened up his own investment firm.

Top brass have sheepishly admitted it was the worst acquisition they have ever done, not for just the monetary amount vs ROI, but also how it seriously affected their ECP business, loss of sponsorships and resulting lawsuit with the colleges.

But on the bright side, they have done many stellar deals that have performed as expected. Other big players in Canada can't say the same.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Enough of this continuous 'Clearly' bashing. Let us put this thread to bed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Tmorse, who's bashing? Simple facts being tossed around. I'm certain they sponsor you're program.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Enough of this continuous 'Clearly' bashing.............................

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post

One does not kill a thread that shows on today's date:
    Replies:19 and Views: 1,016 in a period of 17 days.

Obviously, there must be a general interest in a subject, to attract that many viewers over such a short period of time.

Optical retail business history is being made and changed these days, and the outcome is not yet all totally clear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simple facts being tossed around. I'm certain they sponsor you're program.
    Sponsoring my program? I wish! They have sponsored my program as much as you have.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Organize during waiting time .................................

With longer road to merger approvals, companies must weigh risk of delay

JOHN BODRUG
    CONTRIBUTED TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
    PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 4, 2018 UPDATED SEPTEMBER 5, 2018

John Bodrug is a partner at Davies Ward Phillips andVineberg LLP.

As global M&A activity continues to grow, so too does the merger review timeline for complex multinational deals. In some cases, the review process can extend well over a year. Eyewear maker Luxottica and ophthalmic lens maker Essilor recently announced that they expect to close their merger in late September after receiving clearance in China, more than 18 months after announcing their proposed transaction in January, 2017.Similarly, Dow/Dupont and Bayer/Monsanto each took about 20 months to obtain regulatory clearances, while Agrium/PotashCorp took about 15 months. In Canada,the Competition Bureau’s average review time for complex mergers has increased from about 36 days in 2015-16 to almost 53 days in 2017-18.

In light of this trend, companies considering embarking on a merger transaction may need to prepare for a lengthy – and potentially costly– period of uncertainty. Pending regulatory approvals, the businesses normally cannot be integrated, creating challenges for managers while competitors seek to exploit the uncertainty by targeting key employees, customers and suppliers.

One reason for some of these delays is that competition authorities are increasingly looking beyond the typical “horizontal”competition issue, which focuses on whether the parties are direct competitors and whether the merger will allow the new entity to raise prices in the market in which the parties compete.

They are now also more closely scrutinizing “vertical”mergers between a customer and a supplier, as in the case of Luxottica and Essilor. While Luxottica and Essilor each have some retail operations, their businesses are largely complementary: Luxottica sells eyewear while Essilor Makes lenses. Consequently, the focus of global competition regulators appears to have been on whether the transaction would allow the merged entity to foreclose competition in lenses or frames by tying or bundling their products together or otherwise restrict access to their products by downstream competitors.

Continue reading:
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...longer-road-to
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-14-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Except for the shareholders, I have yet to meet anyone that has said this potential merger is exciting great news. Even the employees that I still know working there seem concerned about their long term future going forward.

We all know that giant mergers most always result in job cuts across the board after the 2 year grace period.

It would be interesting if this merger suddenly went sideways and does not get its final approval. Although the lawyers will always be smiling.

Occupation

Blue Jumper It would be interesting if this merger suddenly went sideways .......................

It would be interesting if this merger suddenly went sideways and does not get its final approval. Although the lawyers will always be smiling.

Do not worry..................it will give them more time for all the changes they have to make.

The rebirth from Clearly to the old "Coastal" is only one thing that needed doing.

The merger most probably will not go sideways, as the cash box is still rattling, to help the poor across the underdeveloped world counties.

Thread Information