Thread: A WWYD question

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A WWYD question

Well, what do you do is a better question since we all get this I’m sure.
    When a patient states that because they spend X amount of dollars at your optical shop, they must come first before anyone else.
    A patient returned to change their order while I was out to lunch and asked my coworker to tell me to call her. She told me, and I was going to but when I got back the office was slammed, there was no way I was going to tell all the people in front of me to wait so I can call this lady. This was no emergency. If my coworker was told that I must call immediately, she didn’t relay that to me.
    i really wanted to say something, but i simply let her talk herself out, apologized for being extremely busy that I couldn’t call her immediately.
    ive been out of the business for awhile and I truly can’t remember what I say to this type of person.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only way I could see them being upset is if you told them that because you didn't speak to them earlier now they can't change their order. Otherwise what difference does it make?

That being said the people who love glasses, spend tons on glasses and make us feel appreciated... you better believe they are going to get better response time from me. I honestly hustle and care for everyone who comes through that door, from the frame and lens package people, to the non-profit work, to the "I only want what my plan will cover" people, but I am not going to be rude or dismissive to a person in front of me to call someone else unless it is an emergency.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The concept of self importance and entitlement has been very evident recently for me. Patients who get upset over the tiniest set-backs and expect us to grovel before them. I'm not saying everyone is like of course, but lately it feels like they are coming out of the woodwork in droves... I moved from being an optician to managing a small surfacing lab to somewhat escape the customer service portion of what we do; unfortunately I still get called on for a lot of the troubleshooting and therefore get to work with all the upset people.

The greatest lesson that was ever taught to me (by a manager at Eyemart) is this: when people are upset, ask what they would like you to do. How can I fix the problem? Instead of giving options and having someone shoot them down, let them make suggestions or simply vent. A lot of times people just want to be heard and when asked this question will give a good pause. It cools them.

I know this isn't quite what you were asking, but I hope this can help get you out of some stressful situations. When it comes to the specifics you posted about, I would explain that the store was busy with patients needing assistance and that though all patients needs are important, you were unable to put a phone call ahead of those who had traveled. Remind them that giving a call is always a good idea to keep the office aware that they were in need of further assistance and that they had not been forgotten.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is nothing you can say that will make a person like that less irritable. Say as little as possible while apologizing(even though you did nothing wrong). Smile and nod in agreement, then pour yourself a stiff drink at the end of the day.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So it seems like I attract the crazies, or maybe this is what it’s like in an ophthalmologist practice. I know that’s ageist but damn! I replace someones nose pads and now she blames me for her scratched up lenses. I can prove to her that I didn’t cause them all day but of course, it’s my fault. Sorry. Vent over. Thanks for the advice, it’s appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by mscoco View Post
    So it seems like I attract the crazies, or maybe this is what it’s like in an ophthalmologist practice. I know that’s ageist but damn! I replace someones nose pads and now she blames me for her scratched up lenses. I can prove to her that I didn’t cause them all day but of course, it’s my fault. Sorry. Vent over. Thanks for the advice, it’s appreciated.
    Ahhh. Optics. Don’t worry, it’s not just you. This is a pandemic. Been there done that, many times over.

Thread Information