Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shamir PAL?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Shamir PAL?

Hi there. This is my first start of a thread. I've gleaned info off of this site for some years now and thought I should finally join :-)

A VSP rep was visiting yesterday and told me that Shamir is rolling out a new PAL. I think she said it was called the "Intelligence" lens? Regardless, it's supposed to be better than the Auto III. Anyone heard of it and know it's selling features?

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is the Shamir Smart and also the Shamir Smart Attitude(true, I didn't make this up) but I've not heard anything about the Intelligence.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    sounds stupid

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post
    sounds stupid
    You guys in WI are really negative.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Angry

I am a Shamir rep and I really want to tell you all how much easier your lives are going to be when this lens drops. However, I am not allowed to for a few more days. It’s like nothing you have ever seen and has the potential to change the way you think about meeting your patients’ visual needs. Take the red pill, find how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticurtis View Post
    I am a Shamir rep and I really want to tell you all how much easier your lives are going to be when this lens drops. However, I am not allowed to for a few more days. It’s like nothing you have ever seen and has the potential to change the way you think about meeting your patients’ visual needs. Take the red pill, find how deep the rabbit hole goes.
    Oh I'm ready.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by opticurtis View Post
    You guys in WI are really negative.
    You guys in RI have no sense of humor.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yes, there is a new design being released a Expo this year. I can't tell you much other than it truly uses a new technology in the way the prescription is calculated at your lab. And it will be a top dollar lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by independentlabguy View Post
    Yes, there is a new design being released a Expo this year. I can't tell you much other than it truly uses a new technology in the way the prescription is calculated at your lab. And it will be a top dollar lens.
    It uses a new technology or new software and algorithms?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    It uses a new technology or new software and algorithms?
    Whats the difference? Isnt a new algorithm new technology?
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujiradesu View Post
    Whats the difference? Isnt a new algorithm new technology?
    Sure I guess it would fall under the "application of science" definition of Technology. I know its probably splitting hairs but if its nothing more than a new calculation of blur management that increases the sensation of the corridor width being 2% wider it would be "truly new technology" but that is a much broader definition than I would hope for. Camber lenses, Varilux X blanks, those imho are "truly new technologies"

I just was wondering what it is thats all.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    https://www.shamirlens.com/technology?tab=93

This is a link to the Shamir tech bullet points. The 'Intelli-Corridor' has been a part of their higher-end PALs for couple of generations. It pertains to the how quickly the distance RX fades into reading. Not sure if this is what was being referred to, but it is featured with Auto III and the InTouch, probably along with a few others.

Either way, welcome aboard charisw!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    https://www.shamirlens.com/technology?tab=93

This is a link to the Shamir tech bullet points. The 'Intelli-Corridor' has been a part of their higher-end PALs for couple of generations. It pertains to the how quickly the distance RX fades into reading. Not sure if this is what was being referred to, but it is featured with Auto III and the InTouch, probably along with a few others.

Either way, welcome aboard charisw!
    I heard tell that the new lens will be a departure from the intellicorridor. Not sure if that is accurate, but it was put out there.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was talking to a Shamir rep yesterday. He mentioned a new lens coming out with the name..........wait for it.............here it comes...............Autograph IV!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JGor View Post
    I was talking to a Shamir rep yesterday. He mentioned a new lens coming out with the name..........wait for it.............here it comes...............Autograph IV!
    No way. Really? How...unoriginal. Although, it does make it easy to determine where it is in the whole line-up of Shamir lenses. Did the rep say what kind of "new" technology was going into it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No mention of any new technology although it is to be assumed a new lens/design will be incorporating new tech. Won't it?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JGor View Post
    Nope. It's called the Autograph Intelligence and it uses Artificial Intelligence (AI). Lens will be announced at Expo and available Oct. 1st.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope. It's called the Autograph Intelligence and it uses Artificial Intelligence (AI). Lens will be announced at Expo and available Oct. 1st.
    I know you can't get into the specifics... but that is cool. I'm assuming they didn't create the AI themselves... Do you know whose model they are basing theirs off of?

EDIT: Also I have just tried to think of what an AI would add to on the fly free form lens design. I can't think of a benefit.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I know you can't get into the specifics... but that is cool. I'm assuming they didn't create the AI themselves... Do you know whose model they are basing theirs off of?

EDIT: Also I have just tried to think of what an AI would add to on the fly free form lens design. I can't think of a benefit.
    This is just speculation, but I am under the assumption that when the free form calculator runs its calculations, the AI aspect will simulate the patient wearing the design and make adjustments based off of it's calculations. Free Forms of today take into account the entire Rx and calculate that with the frame measurements to make a custom design, I am assuming this will take it a step further with AI.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is just speculation, but I am under the assumption that when the free form calculator runs its calculations, the AI aspect will simulate the patient wearing the design and make adjustments based off of it's calculations. Free Forms of today take into account the entire Rx and calculate that with the frame measurements to make a custom design, I am assuming this will take it a step further with AI.
    Still seems like something that could be achieved by research, a complex data array and algorithms. I still can't understand what an AI system could add to lens design but I'm SUPER excited to eat cheese and drink wine while I learn about it.

I also hope the cost of the AUTOIII comes down hah.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    They wrote their own AI engine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks.
    Yep, I got that little tidbit a bit late to share.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That sounds a lot like Hoya's MyStyle consultation tool. To be sure, the algorithms can be tweaked and improved, face-to-face consultation with a competent ophthalmic optician will outperform the stupid and careless AI.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    That sounds a lot like Hoya's MyStyle consultation tool. To be sure, the algorithms can be tweaked and improved, face-to-face consultation with a competent ophthalmic optician will outperform the stupid and careless AI.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    A true AI will never be stupid or careless, and will have nothing to do with this lens, either. When a real AI exists we as human beings will all be living in single family homes of our own with no cares but painting, writing, philosophy and laughter or will be running from Arnold and his leather jacket or eating spicy ramen and wondering if androids dream of electric sheep.

One thing I am certain of is this lens will be nothing but a a faster processor, new real world data to analyze, and a few tweaks to an algorithm.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A true AI will never be stupid or careless, and will have nothing to do with this lens, either. When a real AI exists we as human beings will all be living in single family homes of our own with no cares but painting, writing, philosophy and laughter or will be running from Arnold and his leather jacket or eating spicy ramen and wondering if androids dream of electric sheep.

One thing I am certain of is this lens will be nothing but a a faster processor, new real world data to analyze, and a few tweaks to an algorithm.
    Progressive addition lens design has reached a practical maximum- the only way to improve performance is with stronger government standards for ophthalmic optician training and education.

Nice references to three possible human race futures- Solaria/Asimov, Skynet/Cameron-Ellison, Post-apocalyptic/Dick

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terminator.jpg  
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information