Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shamir PAL?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    A true AI will never be stupid or careless, and will have nothing to do with this lens, either. When a real AI exists we as human beings will all be living in single family homes of our own with no cares but painting, writing, philosophy and laughter or will be running from Arnold and his leather jacket or eating spicy ramen and wondering if androids dream of electric sheep.

One thing I am certain of is this lens will be nothing but a a faster processor, new real world data to analyze, and a few tweaks to an algorithm.
    From the topical (even more so today) 70's movie "Network":
    Arthur Jensen: You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and I won't have it! Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case! The Arabs have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance! You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state, Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused. And I have chosen you, Mr. Beale, to preach this evangel.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

actually yeah I will lol but it was fun to say

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by independentlabguy View Post
    This is just speculation, but I am under the assumption that when the free form calculator runs its calculations, the AI aspect will simulate the patient wearing the design and make adjustments based off of it's calculations. Free Forms of today take into account the entire Rx and calculate that with the frame measurements to make a custom design, I am assuming this will take it a step further with AI.
    They wrote their own AI engine.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post
    sounds stupid
    You guys in WI are really negative.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Angry

I am a Shamir rep and I really want to tell you all how much easier your lives are going to be when this lens drops. However, I am not allowed to for a few more days. It’s like nothing you have ever seen and has the potential to change the way you think about meeting your patients’ visual needs. Take the red pill, find how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticurtis View Post
    I am a Shamir rep and I really want to tell you all how much easier your lives are going to be when this lens drops. However, I am not allowed to for a few more days. It’s like nothing you have ever seen and has the potential to change the way you think about meeting your patients’ visual needs. Take the red pill, find how deep the rabbit hole goes.
    Oh I'm ready.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by opticurtis View Post
    You guys in WI are really negative.
    You guys in RI have no sense of humor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did another google search today and came up with this!! http://www.lentiqlenses.com/en/
    Bottom line: download an app, it tracks you for ten days and then provides a personalized suggestion for your new lenses (ie, include bluelight inhibitor, photochromic, etc.). I hope to get the app on my phone soon to give it a try.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If that is what the hubbub is all about... I am underwhelmed.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://shamirautographintelligence.com/

From what I read, it looks like they've sourced an AI engine to interpret a large amount of data (Big Data, as they call it), and come up with trends that appear as add power increases (Visual Age, as they call it). Best I can tell, they're giving us a unique power profile that varies based on add power.

Not exactly sure how I feel about this. I've never been a fan of a lens company making decisions for my patients for me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    If that is what the hubbub is all about... I am underwhelmed.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if this is the new thing. Guess we'll have to wait to find out. I did put it on my phone, though. The only "experts" available to discuss the results are in Israel (the home of Shamir). When I submitted my email address to request a link to download the app the email was in Hebrew

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, this was just posted as another thread, for those who are still reading: http://shamirautographintelligence.com/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like shamir lenses, I like science and technology. I like that Shamir pushes the envelope - but this still doesn't sound like AI to me. An AI designed on the human brain would learn and develop itself over time. This still just sounds like a fixed data array of possibilities from previous research and the computer program looks at the factors, cross references with the options and in their own words chooses a "go/no go" on different aspects of design. Now maybe more of this is being done in the surfacing software on the fly instead of previously in just a set 200 or so "designs" like the Auto III.... but I don't see how that will affect the end result that much, if at all. At least that is what I understand from the "White Paper"

I'm sure it will be a fine lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a bit of a run down from Shamir "downunder" about their new lens.
    https://www.insightnews.com.au/Artic...ber+Newsletter

Thread Information