Thread: A tale from the future...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A tale from the future...

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...6275249573888/

I had tried to copy and paste, but text formatting accompanied the story

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 08-08-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Link will not work either, Barry, but I saw it on LinkedIn as well. A good read. I cannot find it now, or would try myself. Should cause some discussion here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting read.
    Had a millennial kid in the office the other day who stated to office staff and his mother that the reason he did not have a drivers license yet or had a desire to get one is because very soon there would be computer/satellite driven cars for us and a drivers license was something he didn't need. He was supposedly working his way towards law school.
    That being the case I guess he would be the one printing out his own glasses and contacts after doing his eye exam with his cell phone.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's like Fahrenheit 451 all over again! Any enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The fate of the Eye Exam .................................

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

I had tried to copy and paste, but text formatting accompanied the story

B

The fate of the Eye Exam

• Published on August 7, 2018

Vitor Pamplona

Founder, CEO at EyeNetra; President at SciBr Foundation

It’s the year 2050. My AI assistant just decided to 3D print me new glasses…
    "Tell me again, why do I need new glasses, Morgan?"

"Not only you are already 59 years old, Dr. Peter, but you are now holding books 1.5 inches further away from your eyes than 6 months ago", Morgan justifies."Please try the titanium first", it insists, as I wear the firstoption. "No, I was wrong. I am sorry. The titanium version won't fit well with your dress, tonight", Morgan continues. "Try the red-goldbio-acetate"… "Perfect". "Now tell me if this ain't better to read".

Peter: "You're Right! This is more comfortable. I guess I will need glasses even on my grave...".

Morgan: "No, Dr.Peter. You will be free from glasses when you pass away.

Peter: "30 years in and you still can't understand my jokes, hah? What's that for*intelligence*?"

Today, all eyeglasses (frames, lenses, and contact lenses) are 3D printed at home for not more than 30 cents. We used to ship them from big factories across the sea… What a waste… Products don't come from China anymore.

The eyeglasses manufacturing industry succumbed to the global supply chainrevolution: Everything is made locally and, generally, at the patient's ownhouse.

With the advancement of 3D printing, data capturing and home automation, the supply chain of the early 2000s was simply too expensive to survive as a business. Not even the biggest merger in our field, Essilux, got out of this. Now we 3D print everything, from food to pills, from eyeglasses to solar panels. Reusable printing materials are considered an utility, just like electricity and internet, it's environment friendly, ultra-low-cost and widely available for the 9.8B people on earth. Plastic products have been eradicated and it's illegal to extract oil. We produce about 4% of the waste we did in the beginning of the century. The planet is in a different mood all together.

The health 5.0 turnover started with the camera revolution. Nobody could have imagined that consumer cameras in tiny phones would eventually be better than the expensive and bulky professional cameras. That was the clue. Even though 90% of consumers didn't use their "professional" cameras, it was there, in their pocket, at all times. Just waiting for that one-in-a-lifetime shot. That's what triggered everything else. If the consumer was willing to pay for a feature he barely uses, what else would he be willing to pay? The industry went to work.

read all of it:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fate-...vitor-pamplona

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When that happens the cost of living will drop to a tiny fraction of what it is today, and it will be a whole new world.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper it will be a whole new world.................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

When that happens the cost of living will drop to a tiny fraction of what it is today, and it will be a whole new world.

It has already started to become a new world, and we better start thinking of adapting to it.

Thread Information