Thread: Essilor blue blocking

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Essilor blue blocking

Does anyone have any information on the "essential blue series" that is included in all there new lens. Is it something that is built into the lens? What wave lengths does it actually block? Any information on how they designed this? I was under the impression that they just took out the darkening effect of transitions and repackaged it as the new "blue series" that is now in their lens. Based on a pamphlet I received form Essilor the Essential Ble Series and non activated transitions block the same amount of harmful blue light.
    Last edited by bta89; 08-01-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is automatically in all Essilor/Varilux digital lenses unless otherwise specified. It does replace or interfere with Transitions, if I remember their graphs correctly unactivated Xtractive has decent blue blocking and unactivated Signature blocks almost no Blue light, with both blocking most blue light when activated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    It is automatically in all Essilor/Varilux digital lenses unless otherwise specified. It does replace or interfere with Transitions, if I remember their graphs correctly unactivated Xtractive has decent blue blocking and unactivated Signature blocks almost no Blue light, with both blocking most blue light when activated.
    IIRC, even unactivated Signature VII filter some degree of blue light, just not as much as XTractive and not as much as when either are activated.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    I know that was the case for a couple of years, but is that still true? We are now having to request the essential blue filter and pay extra for it.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Blue-filtering can be added to just about any lens Essilor makes, and is marketed under the term Essential Blue Series.

There are a couple of processes used to add the blue-filtering to the blank, but the consistent result is at least 20% of light falling in the 415-455nm range will be filtered, and the lens will have a clear appearance.

Regarding Transitions lenses,
    in an inactivated (clear) state, Transitions Signature lenses filter at least 20% of the 415-455nm range.
    when fully activated (dark), Transitions Signature lenses filter up to 85% of the 415-455nm range.
    in an inactivated (hint of tint) state, Transitions XTRActive lenses filter at least 34% of the 415-455nm range.
    when fully activated (dark), Transitions XTRActive lenses filter at least 88% of the 415-455nm range.

Crizal Prevencia on a regular 1.50 lens filters at least 20% of the 415-455nm range.
    When you add Crizal Prevencia on top of an Essential Blue Series lens or a Transitions lens, add 10% to the figures above (e.g., a Transitions Signature lens with Crizal Prevencia will filter at least 30% of the 415-455nm range).

Although blue-filtering was previously included as a standard feature in most Varilux digitally surfaced products, it is now offered as an option. First, this allows the practitioner to chose whether or not to include blue-filtering (there are some practitioners who do not wish to offer blue-filtering). Second, making it an option made it possible to make blue-filtering available on nearly every product- not just the most premium (you can order Essential Blue Series in regular SV lenses, Essilor PALs, etc.). Finally, making blue-filtering optional emphasizes the true value of the feature. Just like AR coating, polarization, tint, photochromics, and UV coating, blue-filtering is a feature that increases the cost to produce the product and delivers a benefit to the wearer.

Hope this helps,
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    ...(there are some practitioners who do not wish to offer blue-filtering)...
    Hey Pete, why am *I* getting the stink eye here??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    For those clamoring about peer reviews, check this one out. I have only skimmed it, but this study is NOT financed by the lens industry. I will review this further once I have time to dig in.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28254-8
    Last edited by lensmanmd; 08-10-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Semantics

Thread Information