Thread: VSP's Unity Via PAL series

Occupation
    Optometrist

VSP's Unity Via PAL series

I tried to search Optiboard but to no avail.

Any scoop on this? http://www.unitylenses.com/dam/jcr:e...te%20Paper.pdfv <---mega kudos for releasing such an in-depth description.

It looks like, per their website, that it is "new and improved" over the (now older) PL series (PLxtra, PLXtreme, PLXpression=camber).

Please don't make me set up an appointment with a VSP Lab rep!
    Last edited by drk; 07-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    UNITY VIA MOBILE—DESCRIPTION AND TARGET

Developed specifically for electronic device users, the Unity Via Mobile design provides widevisual fields for both near and distance vision with smooth transitions between visual fields. Thedesign also includes a shorter progression profile and a closer near working distance of 32 cm toincrease visual comfort when viewing digital devices such as smartphones, which are typically heldcloser than printed reading materials. Unity Via Mobile has an extra addition of 0.125D in the nearvision area to deliver extra magnification when reading the small font on digital device screens.This lens is a good solution for demanding users who have high visual expectations and a frequentand intense use of digital devices

^^From white paper (so racist).

I wonder how many opticians are designing lenses to optimize digital device use. It makes sense.

I did a quick survey of how close I hold my "digital device". I think it is closer than the standard 40cm for me and most.

But are we good with juicing the add (although +0.12 is ludicrously small)(P.S. to white people making paper: It's not "magnification"! F/4+1 = 1.03X)?

Are we good with juicing the convergence inset? Sounds like a tricky task for a lens design.

I'm not being negative.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From everything I've learned from white papers, lab reps and sales reps, the best I can ascertain is that it's basically a re-market with the "digital" label on it. There's a lot of marketing BS in the white papers that means basically nothing. It's sort of frustrating as an optician, because every lens maker that re-releases a lens says it's "digital" when really what they're referring to is the fact that their CNC machine got a software update. Think of it this way:

Via series > PL series in the same way that Physio W3+ > Physio Enhanced. They're both good lenses, and both have very similar fitting characteristics (and in Varilux's case they're actually made from the same lens blanks), but being that the Via series is "newer" it's probably a good idea to use it instead of the PL series. Honestly, there probably isn't much of a difference, and those who are currently wearing the PL series likely won't notice anything if you switched them.

For the record though, I generally don't dispense VSP's lenses because I have had little success fitting them in my experience. Given the choice between the new Via Elite and Autograph III, I'm probably going to fit Autograph III unless the patient's plan dictates otherwise. And I'm certainly not going to use VSP's lenses for any private pay patients.
    Last edited by bretk0923; 07-23-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fixed grammar errors, added more clarity

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Unity Mobile is going to be similar to the Camber lens. It may even be the same design. We used the plx mobile lenses and had good success with them so it bums me out that they are discontinuing them. Patients responded well to the variable basecurve.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bret:

You know how other software upgrades work, right? Like, MS Windows 10 is forced upon us (as an automatic update!) and you must learn to love it.

Despite that, how would you feel if the lens manufacturers didn't try to "monetize" each and every change (adding to our dizziness), and just went with regular "updates", like Windows 10?

I could see, with your example, "Autograph" or "Varilux" or "Unity" and then add a number representing big changes and a decimal representing upgrades..."Autograph 7.1" or "Varilux 10.1" or "Unity 3.3".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You know how other software upgrades work, right?
    To be totally honest, I was not aware until after I posted my reply that they were discontinuing the PL series. I assumed that like Varilux's releases the previous generation would still be available. Shame on me for not doing my research. In all honesty though, all the marketing material and white papers don't even try to say what's "better" about them than the PL series, so that leads me to believe that there really won't be a lot of differences between the two lens series.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think they are discontinuing the PL.

What I meant by my question is "would you prefer that they would discontinue the old versions" and just position the new lenses as "upgrades"?

I would.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think they are discontinuing the PL.

What I meant by my question is "would you prefer that they would discontinue the old versions" and just position the new lenses as "upgrades"?
    Forgive me for misunderstanding. To answer that question, no. I much prefer having a wider array of options. When it comes to progressives, there's always those select few patients that get entrenched in a lens and can't adapt to anything else (good old Varilux Comfort, for example). Getting rid of old lens designs on a more frequent basis would cause more headaches and remakes for those patients.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder how many opticians are designing lenses to optimize digital device use. It makes sense.
    Yes, how the wearer uses their eyes i.e., work distances, zone heights and widths, safety, etc.

WRT mobile phones and the Unity Via Mobile, except for sustained viewing (rare), the depth of focus for most presbyopes allows for adequate acuity without requiring an add power different than what was prescribed for general purpose use, if the near zone is positioned according to the wearer's needs.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got a pair of Unity Via Elite progressive lenses last week. My first reaction when I put them on was they were swimmier than my Varilux X lenses. But within a few hours they were fine though they are not quite as clear when I look through the outside part of the lenses.

I got the SunSync Plus lenses because they lighten so fast. I do notice they aren't quite as dark as my Transition 7 lenses but it's been over 100 here and none are getting very dark.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do very well with them and I use them interchangeably with the IOT lenses I use for most private pay.

Would I sell them for the cost of a Varilux X? LOL No. I know they moved away from the Camber because they kept messing them up during surfacing and finishing, though even the best labs I use send me camber lenses dotted up on the Camber markings sometimes.

My experience with the PLXpression was terrible in my experience, my rep told me it was because they were always surfacing them off axis.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Tall, is it your understanding that the Camber front is not in the Via design?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tall, is it your understanding that the Camber front is not in the Via design?
    No it 100% is not Camber, I'm pretty sure its still IOT, I was told they ditched the Camber because of "production" difficulties, also is only variable corridor as well for same reason.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We also had a bad experience with the plxpression especially for the price point. So far the VIA Elite is doing well for us for the Category N.

Thread Information