Thread: Am I crazy? Probably.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Am I crazy? Probably.

OK, see if this makes sense.

I made myself some new PALs, and they were comped by my lab (very nice).

Of course I botched them!

I'm about -7.00 with +2.25 add.

On my last PAL, I was happy except at night when driving, when I noticed that if I jammed them into my eyesockets I saw better. Daytime no problems. Despite the potential of me being underminused (I wasn't, I don't think) or me having "vertex slip" (probably was), I figured it was a combo of 1.) night myopia and 2.) I'm 54 doggone it, and my lens nuclei are probably feeling it, and 3.) I'm just going to compensate for my narrow bridge and oily skin by expecting a longer vertex distance to happen.

Solution: determined to overminus next time by 1/4 D.

On my last PAL, I was underwhelmed by my peripheral optics with the +2.25 add in a 1.67 material. Solution: experiment with a lower add...try +1.75.

So...I'm miserable with the new glasses. The overminus makes me a total loser on a computer screen. The reduced add in combination with the overminus leaves me with so/so near vision. Now I have to figure out a way to get a remake, even if I have to pay.

I need that +0.25. All this misery over +0.25.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You can try the DriveSafe by Zeiss or the IOT inMotion. Both are designed with night myopia in mind.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You think your crazy, I have a patient who told me they want a +4.00 lens (their rx is a -0.50 OU) and then they want to wear contacts under at a -4.50 so that the lens make her eye big. I told them that it wasn't a very good idea too do, but they are wanting to find a doctor who will be willing to experiment with them. To me, that's crazy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never over minus for us old geeks. Instead think about putting some minus in a chem clip ,using a pair of office glasses while at work and/or try newest prog like the Varilux X or equivalent. As much as I don't like Essilor in general , I have to admit the X is good at night.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That really IS crazy.

https://youtu.be/p5sRQ2jqV8Y

Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    You think your crazy, I have a patient who told me they want a +4.00 lens (their rx is a -0.50 OU) and then they want to wear contacts under at a -4.50 so that the lens make her eye big. I told them that it wasn't a very good idea too do, but they are wanting to find a doctor who will be willing to experiment with them. To me, that's crazy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Must be a Potter fan. Professor Trelawney comes to mind. Never a dull moment in our industry.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Now that you are at the baby age of the seignior age group, .........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

So...I'm miserable with the new glasses. The overminus makes me a total loser on a computer screen. The reduced add in combination with the overminus leaves me with so/so near vision. Now I have to figure out a way to get a remake, even if I have to pay.

drk......................

Now that you are at the baby age of the seignior age group, you will have to rethink your growing into the old age community in many ways. The main secret for a longtime survival is to keep yourself busy, physically and mentally, plus a lot of willpower.

I am still happiest on the computer in my old ST35 which cover the whole area of my corner desk, from a large screen to the working area.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Sounds like you need an OPD scan - and a pair of nite driving glasses doc

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did your adjustments solve your night driving and peripheral distortion ailments? If so, accept a multiple-pair lifestyle. We all routinely recommend it to customers, we oughtta play by our own rules. This is my second year in progressives (+1.25) and they work well outside the office, but I always wear dedicated office/computer eyewear all day, and I have overminused SV night driving glasses to use when my eyes are tired and the progressive vision doesn't keep up (though I agree with rdcoach5 the Varilux X's night vision is excellent). I even have high-plussed iPad glasses for watching netflix at about 12".

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Did your adjustments solve your night driving and peripheral distortion ailments? If so, accept a multiple-pair lifestyle. We all routinely recommend it to customers, we oughtta play by our own rules. This is my second year in progressives (+1.25) and they work well outside the office, but I always wear dedicated office/computer eyewear all day, and I have overminused SV night driving glasses to use when my eyes are tired and the progressive vision doesn't keep up (though I agree with rdcoach5 the Varilux X's night vision is excellent). I even have high-plussed iPad glasses for watching netflix at about 12".
    +1

I'm all about multipairs and I don't even need my Rx most of the time. But I have crazy options, so why not have tons of specialized pairs? PALs are the Swiss army knife of glasses. They will never be perfect for all your needs. Treat yourself to multiple high functioning pairs.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    +1

I'm all about multipairs and I don't even need my Rx most of the time. But I have crazy options, so why not have tons of specialized pairs? PALs are the Swiss army knife of glasses. They will never be perfect for all your needs. Treat yourself to multiple high functioning pairs.
    Yup. You need one pair of glasses about as much as you need one pair of shoes.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    What the....?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm finding I need to be the bearer of the bad news to patients that as we boomers "mature" as one of my doc's so diplomatically puts it- We just do not see as well and I find this true as I was 20/15 in my youth but now at best 20/20 so the ball off the tee is lost where before I was often the only one who could follow it. Over 60 now and still buying green banana's!!!

I'm convinced that I could wear 2 different rx's for fluctuations in my acuity during the day and night. (@+1.00 -1.00 x 90ish add +2.50)

And don't get me started on dry eye;)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    OK, see if this makes sense.

I made myself some new PALs, and they were comped by my lab (very nice).

Of course I botched them!

On my last PAL, I was happy except at night when driving, when I noticed that if I jammed them into my eyesockets I saw better. Daytime no problems. Despite the potential of me being underminused (I wasn't, I don't think) or me having "vertex slip" (probably was), I figured it was a combo of 1.) night myopia and 2.) I'm 54 doggone it, and my lens nuclei are probably feeling it, and 3.) I'm just going to compensate for my narrow bridge and oily skin by expecting a longer vertex distance to happen.

Solution: determined to overminus next time by 1/4 D.

On my last PAL, I was underwhelmed by my peripheral optics with the +2.25 add in a 1.67 material. Solution: experiment with a lower add...try +1.75.

IMHO your mistake was cutting the add not the -.25 distance. Overminus will obviously reduce your int/near a tiny bit. But cutting the add screws up the entire vertical power progression of the PAL. The intermediate power, about +1.00, is so far down in the lens you need to basically be reclining to get there. And the near power of +2.25 is non-existent.

If you made a variable corridor PAL, you have essentially made yourself an extremely long corridor with your full near power cut off the bottom of the lens. Reducing the add power in a PAL almost never works. The only time I have used it successfully was to make an extra short corridor with reduced add for a bus driver who only wanted distance and intermediate for the dashboard area, no reading.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with everything Kwill said

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks, all.

Thread Information