Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: VSP Out of Network (OON) Discontinued?

  1. #26
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    4
    Hi, I have an onboarding scheduled tomorrow afternoon with Patch. Would you mind telling me how the first month has worked out for you with their service?
    Last edited by Bestinsight; 08-20-2018 at 06:48 PM.

  2. #27
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Honestly, it's too early to tell at this point. I'm still learning how to use it and until checks start rolling in consistently and quickly and accurately I won't be doing any celebrating. I will say it hasn't been horrible implementing it and their support has been very good thus far. I have been pleased with customers' response to the system when I can show them their benefits on a computer screen rather than what I used to scribble down on a post-it note after sitting on the phone for a few minutes. They seem to 'trust' that computer screen.

    As far as 'what it is doing' for me? Well, at this point I can log on and check benefits and reimbursement amounts and submit bills. All without the hassles of the phone... which VSP just pulled our ability to use. Not to mention the convenience of simple online billing. I agree, $200 a month is NOT cheap. But, you want to know whats more expensive? Losing customers. And I don't have the time or patience to have to explain, multiple times a day that I no longer have ability to check someone's benefits on the phone and then frustrating them with a VSP OON homework project and expecting them to keep their business here. Although I suspect many would out of sheer loyalty. If my spending this kind of coin makes us more efficient, and improves the customer experience then I'll say it's money well spent. Time will tell. I didn't see other good alternatives so I jumped in with both feet. It's just how I do things...
    Hi, I have an onboarding scheduled tomorrow afternoon with Patch. Would you mind telling me how the first month has worked out for you with their service?

  3. #28
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestinsight View Post
    Hi, I have an on boarding scheduled tomorrow afternoon with Patch. Would you mind telling me how the first month has worked out for you with their service?
    Sure. So far I'd say I'm about 50/50 satisfied and unsatisfied. My biggest gripe is the time it takes to get patients 'Verified' which means loaded into the system and confirmed coverage. Quite often you end up having to use Patch's online chat system and get help from one of their helper folks. The helpers are always very pleasant but it's not a real-time chat situation, typically it takes some time going back and forth and can be very annoying and slow. I'm not the one who does most the billing in our office and the young lady who's in charge of that has definitely had some gripes with the speed of the system. However, she was off today and I verified and billed about a half dozen patients quickly and easily so when it works, it works really well.

    The payments have been coming in quickly and accurately so no problems there. Also, I've been surprised by how many other out of network insurances we've billed. I had anticipated it being almost entirely VSP but we've done plenty of others. Although I do have some gripes about the speed of the system, our patients haven't griped once yet.

    While I'm certainly not screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful the system is, it DOES work. Also, the patch folks give quite a sales pitch about the evolution of their product and how improvements are always in the pipeline so I hope they keep their word on that and it improves.

  4. #29
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Sure. So far I'd say I'm about 50/50 satisfied and unsatisfied. My biggest gripe is the time it takes to get patients 'Verified' which means loaded into the system and confirmed coverage. Quite often you end up having to use Patch's online chat system and get help from one of their helper folks. The helpers are always very pleasant but it's not a real-time chat situation, typically it takes some time going back and forth and can be very annoying and slow. I'm not the one who does most the billing in our office and the young lady who's in charge of that has definitely had some gripes with the speed of the system. However, she was off today and I verified and billed about a half dozen patients quickly and easily so when it works, it works really well.

    The payments have been coming in quickly and accurately so no problems there. Also, I've been surprised by how many other out of network insurances we've billed. I had anticipated it being almost entirely VSP but we've done plenty of others. Although I do have some gripes about the speed of the system, our patients haven't griped once yet.

    While I'm certainly not screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful the system is, it DOES work. Also, the patch folks give quite a sales pitch about the evolution of their product and how improvements are always in the pipeline so I hope they keep their word on that and it improves.
    Thanks for your honesty, we frequently have VSP patients walk because we are not allowed to join the VSP network (which I understand might be a blessing). I just wandered how many VSP patients would accept a reduced reimbursement for an OON provider.

  5. #30
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southwest US
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    421
    So, if I hear what you are saying, it is just a patch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    Sure. So far I'd say I'm about 50/50 satisfied and unsatisfied. My biggest gripe is the time it takes to get patients 'Verified' which means loaded into the system and confirmed coverage. Quite often you end up having to use Patch's online chat system and get help from one of their helper folks. The helpers are always very pleasant but it's not a real-time chat situation, typically it takes some time going back and forth and can be very annoying and slow. I'm not the one who does most the billing in our office and the young lady who's in charge of that has definitely had some gripes with the speed of the system. However, she was off today and I verified and billed about a half dozen patients quickly and easily so when it works, it works really well.

    The payments have been coming in quickly and accurately so no problems there. Also, I've been surprised by how many other out of network insurances we've billed. I had anticipated it being almost entirely VSP but we've done plenty of others. Although I do have some gripes about the speed of the system, our patients haven't griped once yet.

    While I'm certainly not screaming from the rooftops about how wonderful the system is, it DOES work. Also, the patch folks give quite a sales pitch about the evolution of their product and how improvements are always in the pipeline so I hope they keep their word on that and it improves.

  6. #31
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    So, if I hear what you are saying, it is just a patch.
    Lol. Correct. An aptly named one.

  7. #32
    Ghost in the OptiMachine OptiBoard Silver Supporter Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    1,023
    *Big sigh...

    I've been asked to get further opinion on Patch. Personally, I think all insurance is just a bunch of flaming hoops to jump through, but the office manager is looking to add to our capture rate for out of network plans.

    So if anyone wants to either add praise for Patch or give me ammo against it, I will gladly accept either as long as they are honest. Thanks!

    In the meantime, I think we should come up with a PSA about how insurance is fooling people into thinking they are saving money.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  8. #33
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    44
    Just broadcast a constant stream of Drugs, Inc. in the waiting room, with a sign above the television that says "Now imagine this, but for insurance companies."

  9. #34
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,607

    Redhot Jumper Insurance is nothing else than legal gambling............................

    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

    In the meantime, I think we should come up with a PSA about how insurance is fooling people into thinking they are saving money.

    Insurance is nothing else than legal gambling.

    You are betting to get paid a replacement for the loss or damage of something
    within you possessions.

    Insurance companies have the odds all figured out, and are never losing out.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. VSP In-Network - billing exam only
    By optician2601 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2015, 09:40 PM
  2. How to submit claims to VSP out of network.
    By optician2601 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-22-2015, 11:38 PM
  3. Costco is Now in-Network Providers of VSP
    By kcount in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 08:12 AM
  4. Optician owner wants in network VSP
    By hdvision in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
  5. Out of Network VSP Help
    By uniqueu in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics and Vision Equipment