Thread: The beginning of the end of conventional optical retail business ....................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The beginning of the end of conventional optical retail business ....................

The beginning of the end of conventional optical retail business and the start of a new way should begin over the next few days.
    So far nobody has else come up with another action idea to counter what is going start in a few days from today, or anytime thereafter.

Optiboard and a very few others, are your only instant and direct communication means left on the internet, at a time when such a means is of the highest value.

As of next Monday July 2, 2018 we can expect to hear, that the merger has been completed, or will happen anytime now, and read and experience a new way, to sell eyeglasses to the public, in massive worldwide, news and advertising campaigns.

The official change of optical eyeglass retail sales, is going to happen over the next few days !

original post:
    https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...232#post547232

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good to know the sky is still falling, thanks for the update.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homer.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	13964

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinfoil.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	13965
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Doom and gloom. They said this when WalMart came to town. They said this when Costco came to town. We still stand strong by looking forward, not backwards.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are averaging 2 new patients per day and plenty of ophthalmologist walk ins. Thanks tho Chris! When is it going to be easy for me to order your hydro spray again?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    We are averaging 2 new patients per day and plenty of ophthalmologist walk ins. Thanks tho Chris! When is it going to be easy for me to order your hydro spray again?
    You'll have to call McCray Optical in Toronto.

Occupation

Blue Jumper That translates into 261 new patients per year ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

That translates into 261 new patients per year plus the other walk ins. That is superb business by the new older generation that is already standing at the bus stop playing with their latest cellphones without interruption.

If I had the magic know how to renew my body and brain waves, I would maybe go back into business again, and make you some magic spray again.

However being a conventional older male, I know have reverted to keep the physical and mental side of my body in in the best possible shape, to the amazement of my doctors, by doing a lot of physical work around the house and garden.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Luxottica, Essilor extend deadline for merger pending China's........................

Essilor International : Luxottica, Essilor extend deadline for merger pending China's approval

MILAN (Reuters) - French lens manufacturer Essilor and Italian eyewear Luxottica have extended a deadline for their planned merger to July 31 as the Chinese competition authority has not yet approved the transaction.

In a statement published on Friday the two groups said that they remained confident the antitrust processes in China and in Turkey will be completed in the coming weeks.
    The approval by the Chinese authority is a condition of closing the deal.
    The first general meeting of EssilorLuxottica shareholders, which was scheduled for July 25, will be reconvened for a later date.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Chris, not this terrifying. China will not approve the merger for this moment, as China is busy with Trump in its trade fight. I heard this matter from a person from Essilor looking for help in the approval. Merger, or not merger, pretty much the same as before.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Essilor International : Luxottica, Essilor extend deadline for merger pending China's approval

MILAN (Reuters) - French lens manufacturer Essilor and Italian eyewear Luxottica have extended a deadline for their planned merger to July 31 as the Chinese competition authority has not yet approved the transaction.

In a statement published on Friday the two groups said that they remained confident the antitrust processes in China and in Turkey will be completed in the coming weeks.
    The approval by the Chinese authority is a condition of closing the deal.
    The first general meeting of EssilorLuxottica shareholders, which was scheduled for July 25, will be reconvened for a later date.
    Wouldn't that be an interesting chess move if China declines the approval. A good portion of Lux's brands including RayBan are now manufactured in China including some of Essilor's stock lenses which continue also to be manufactured also in Vietnam and Thailand.

The size of China's economy and authority certainly carries some clout.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I heard the major hurdle of China's approval is from the disapproval from the only publicly listed company of eyeglasses retail in Shenzhen Stock Exchange. There may be some unhappy deals between the big E or Lux with this company.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Wouldn't that be an interesting chess move if China declines the approval............

Quote Originally Posted by OcuSky View Post

I heard the major hurdle of China's approval is from the disapproval from the only publicly listed company of eyeglasses retail in Shenzhen Stock Exchange. There may be some unhappy deals between the big E or Lux with this company.

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight

Wouldn't that be an interesting chess move if China declines the approval. A good portion of Lux's brands including RayBan are now manufactured in China including some of Essilor's stock lenses which continue also to be manufactured also in Vietnam and Thailand.

The rope pulling match has already began, I am convinced of.
    They will threaten to move some, or all of chinese manufacturing elsewhere.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Life goes on as usual. Considering the special details of the optical retail, plus the current regulations, traditional optical can still survive for a very long time.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just received the last payment of my 38 year old optical business. I'm so glad I'm done with this industry. How is this not a monoply. There is no future for the independent Optician and it is totally our own fault.

Occupation
    In the US online sales account for 8.1 percent of total retail sales for the year. This percentage is surely growing but the biggest threat to your business success is sleeping with these "insurance" companies.

Occupation

Blue Jumper biggest threat to your business success is sleeping with these "insurance" companies.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

In the US online sales account for 8.1 percent of total retail sales for the year. This percentage is surely growing but the biggest threat to your business success is sleeping with these "insurance" companies.

Dick..............you are so right

While waiting a couple of weeks for the weather to get better my wife run out of here regular monthly prescriptions down south in Naples.

She had to see a doctor who gave her the Rx and charged $ 150.00, and then the drugstore cost me $ 980.00 .

Back home in Montreal the doctor would have been paid by the government health insurance, and the drugstore charge would have been $ 110.00.

My own Nitro spray that costs me between $ 8.00 and 12.50 for a one oz. bottle back home, the USA drugstores charges $ 350.00 without insurance.

Knowing all this, to visit the USA, anybody using any Rx from a medical doctor should make sure to take along everything needed for the time of the visit, or get ripped off big time. And that also works the same way for glasses.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

+1

...Chris, how did you not learn from last time?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    These so called vision plans reduce the optician to the status of a share cropper. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with allowing a third party to determine your business model and pricing structure. Why can't you stand on your own two feet and deal directly with your customers, eh?

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

+1

...Chris, how did you not learn from last time?

In the US online sales account for 8.1 percent of total retail sales for the year.

To correct the figure of total online sales in the USA:
    at 9.9 %

Food & Beverages 14.4 %

no results on glasses

see at :
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...oduct-category

These are 10% of the USA sold glasses, and each one was not sold by a conventional retailer and the figure is going up as the population is aging and the newer old people are leaning towards buying on the web.

Essilor and Luxottica are not stupid companies, everything is studied down the the nitty gritties, and they are banking on it and investing in it on a worldwide basis.

Every single pair has not been sold the conventional way that has existed for the last few hundred years.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sorry I shouldn't have posted more than one topic together. I meant the price hike of meds in the US. It is something I certainly wouldn't forget. Being gouged that hard for something that is manageable where you live, I mean.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation

Blue Jumper insurances that have driven the prices for healthcare skyhigh .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

Sorry I shouldn't have posted more than one topic together. I meant the price hike of meds in the US. It is something I certainly wouldn't forget. Being gouged that hard for something that is manageable where you live, I mean.

Thanks......................You are forgiven

Ten years ago I had to see an ophthalmologist when my Florida drivers license was up for renewal. He found that I had a cataract in my left eye. He offered to fix me up at a cost of $ 4,000.00. I refused and had it done back home in Canada at no charge a few month later. The cost was covered by the Canadian health care system.

Being also a heart patient I use the 1 oz bottles of nitroglycerin spray when needed. Cost in Canada between $ 8.00 and $ 12.00, while in Naples Fl. it varied between $ 280.00 (Costco) and $350.00, for the exact same brand,
    depending on the drugstore chain.

So I ended up buying the old fashioned pills at about $ 1.00 each.

In my opinion it is the health insurances that have driven the prices for healthcare skyhigh in the USA.

Thread Information