Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Mirrors

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Multiple Mirrors

I'm looking into filling a special request for a close friend of mine. She may be the perfect guinea pig for this idea, though I am growing more interested in trying it myself.

The idea is to make a set of prescription polar sun lenses in the same color but add a different mirror to each lens. We are thinking brown NuPolar with a blue mirror on one lens and a purple/pink on the other.

I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone else has done this before and see what their experiences were. I will be sure to post findings as we both get a chance to try a final product.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know a good lab that does custom design mirrors from a jpeg picture, like say a Pair of suns with your favorite NFL mascot on it???

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Why?
    Why not?

​She wants something zany to wear to a music festival. I want to experiment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Why not?

​She wants something zany to wear to a music festival. I want to experiment.
    No lab will spend time to research a project to satisfy a drunken hippy at a music event. They will however make 2 separate pairs in different colors. So pick 2 frames of the same and do that. Much easier than trying to manipulate a process.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    No lab will spend time to research a project to satisfy a drunken hippy at a music event. They will however make 2 separate pairs in different colors. So pick 2 frames of the same and do that. Much easier than trying to manipulate a process.
    Right. I can get away with planos, so I will have some fun trying some different combos, but I'm not sure how Opticote will feel about my request for prescription lens. I will cross that bridge once the lenses are ready to be sent out.

I think 'research' is a strong word for what I am doing, but my position has been very liberating in a sense of adding to what the company can offer. I recently made a list of unique plano sun options that have everything from gradients, to mirrors, to Coppertone, to Drivewear, to Infinite Grey.

This is more like my color-deficiency experiments- not really practical for the office, but gives us another specialty over the competition, which usually has no interest in expanding options, unless a rep has told them to.

Occupation
    Speaking of drunken hippies though- has anyone checked these out?

https://glofx.com/

Super fun stuffs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you should have no problem getting that done, send each lens as an individual order so that you don't confuse them. When they call you to tell you that doing a single lens won't match, you can explain that it doesn't matter.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Oh my

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    you should have no problem getting that done, send each lens as an individual order so that you don't confuse them. When they call you to tell you that doing a single lens won't match, you can explain that it doesn't matter.
    Yep. Simple.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh man. This is hilarious. I was just talking about this with my boss' 15 year old son. He wants to do the same thing just for fun! We were joking around with trying to do a blue lens and a red lens, each with different mirrors, to make old fashioned 3D glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I personally think that there a multiple labs that wouldn't have an issue with making lenses like this, for you to speak for every single lab saying they wont make it is pretty bold. Its not necessary to comment if you're just going to be negative, this is a forum for help and advice. No need to be rude and negative about something that could potentially be really interesting.
    I think that if this pulls off then the "drunken hippy" has just brought us a whole new perspective on suns.
    GooglyEyeGirl

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by googlyeyegirl View Post
    I personally think that there a multiple labs that wouldn't have an issue with making lenses like this, for you to speak for every single lab saying they wont make it is pretty bold. Its not necessary to comment if you're just going to be negative, this is a forum for help and advice. No need to be rude and negative about something that could potentially be really interesting.
    I think that if this pulls off then the "drunken hippy" has just brought us a whole new perspective on suns.
    I wasn't being rude; was being realistic and practical. There is zero market for this idea with a north American lens manufacturer. Your best bet would be to contact a Chinese manufacturer that produces plano sunglasses eyewear, order the 300 minimum pairs required cash up front, pay shipping, taxes, duty and import excise fees and rent and let me know how many you would sell at a concert kiosk. They have to be priced no more than $20 per pair. Let me know how you make out.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The world will have a different color right vs. left.

Is that a feature or a bug?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Exactly, a new market to induce and promote synesthesia? Not likely.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I wouldguess ‘feature’. Apparently back in the 80’s someone promoted through mailorder plano 2-color lens glasses as a means for weight loss . The theory wasthat the brain becomes confused by the two different-colored lenses and a formof asthenopia develops, which inhibits a desire for food much like a death inthe family or a relationship breakdown might. But because of the (medical?) claimof weight loss, the postal system refused to ship these two-color glasses withoutproof of proper medical trial testing with documentation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    I wouldguess ‘feature’. Apparently back in the 80’s someone promoted through mailorder plano 2-color lens glasses as a means for weight loss . The theory wasthat the brain becomes confused by the two different-colored lenses and a formof asthenopia develops, which inhibits a desire for food much like a death inthe family or a relationship breakdown might. But because of the (medical?) claimof weight loss, the postal system refused to ship these two-color glasses withoutproof of proper medical trial testing with documentation.
    As they say, there's a sucker born every moment.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasn't being rude; was being realistic and practical. There is zero market for this idea with a north American lens manufacturer. Your best bet would be to contact a Chinese manufacturer that produces plano sunglasses eyewear, order the 300 minimum pairs required cash up front, pay shipping, taxes, duty and import excise fees and rent and let me know how many you would sell at a concert kiosk. They have to be priced no more than $20 per pair. Let me know how you make out.
    I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. The "drunken hippy" bit is just amusing -- I wonder how judgmental you'd be of that person when they're in their work outfit and bringing their kids and insurance plan to your office.

Food for thought, dude.

Occupation
    Speaking of differences in color perception, I had originally planned on doing this on a brown lens, but am also considering grey. I felt like brown, already having some color play, would be more comfortable. Could be the opposite... opinions?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I would do it in either, whichever the client preferred looking through, but definitely the same base tint right and left

Occupation
    Attachment 14024Attachment 14025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180714_163250.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	14026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180714_164012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	14028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180714_165408.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	14027

Finally! Here's some shots of the multiple mirror set I did. Not sure why the center ones are upside-down but as you can see there is a slight color difference due to the mirror. When on, it isn't noticeable. It seems that the difference is mild enough that your eyes don't have a problem adjusting for it.

Too bad the concert got flooded out... I'm sure she'll find a use for them!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper These glasses would not have shocked anybody............................

These glasses would not have shocked anybody else at the festival, most of the people who would have seen it, might have thought it was just a manufacturing mistake or a badly done job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    These glasses would not have shocked anybody else at the festival, most of the people who would have seen it, might have thought it was just a manufacturing mistake or a badly done job.
    I agree. It looks like a mistake that isn't really that noticeable to the average Joe. I see more AR's that don't match which drives me nuts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I think you should have made them more different, like a red and a blue

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Does anyone know a good lab that does custom design mirrors from a jpeg picture, like say a Pair of suns with your favorite NFL mascot on it???
    Us, here in America, have NO, yes I yelled it, and will again, NO!! favorite NFL mascot! Not until they get off their damn knees.

Thread Information