Thread: PD in PAL

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PD in PAL

Would you remake lenses in a PAL if the PD is off by .5mm in one eye? Is there any tolerance chart because my doc is adamant on remaking the lenses. Im just not sure the .5mm will make a huge deference.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Whether or not it will make a difference is up to the strength of RX and how adaptable the patient's eyes are- but mostly likely not.

The key here is that your finishing lab/ inspection station should have a list of the ANSI standards. Otherwise, how do you know when anything is out of tolerance?

Here are a couple different resources, but the general rule is 1mm in each eye for PD.

https://www.thevisioncouncil.org/sit...rence%20v2.pdf

http://64.50.176.246/tools/ansi.php (see "Horizontal Fitting Point Location")

And welcome to OptiBoard!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So helpful. Thank you!!!!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If your customer is having "issues" with the eyewear its dollars to donuts not the half millimeter variance that you speak of.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's how I feel. I'm not sure how to convince my doctor otherwise. He took him back and changed the RX, but for some reason wants to blame the PD's

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Surprised that he is not blaming the BCs, too.
    Match BC, match PD.....all day f'n long.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Surprised that he is not blaming the BCs, too.
    Match BC, match PD.....all day f'n long.
    How true...
    Might as well match old Rx!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone out there still take the glasses and let them just "rest" on the shelf a couple days and then call the pt to come pick up their "new" glasses and then dispense them very very optimistically assuring the pt everything will be better for them......and they assure you that all is soooo much better now.
    We all know that there are some patients out there that have it stuck in their head that their glasses must be made several times to meet the need of their "special eyes".
    By the way, good luck moving that PD half a millimeter. The Dr is just grasping at straws right now because he has no answer and he knows the pt is expecting a answer from him.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Does anyone out there still take the glasses and let them just "rest" on the shelf a couple days and then call the pt to come pick up their "new" glasses and then dispense them very very optimistically assuring the pt everything will be better for them......and they assure you that all is soooo much better now.
    We all know that there are some patients out there that have it stuck in their head that their glasses must be made several times to meet the need of their "special eyes".
    The old "Magic shelf" technique. I've only had to use it a couple times, both at OD's insistence. My impulse is always to try to actually fix things, even if I know damn well it's all in the patient's head.

By the way, good luck moving that PD half a millimeter. The Dr is just grasping at straws right now because he has no answer and he knows the pt is expecting a answer from him.
    But remember, just like the "magic shelf," Doctors' remedies are often "magic remedies." An optician and an OD can tell the patient the same exact thing and the optician's opinion will be considered a load of crap while the doctor's opinion will be treated like a wagonload of gold.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahhh the DDD, deep dark drawer technique

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    The old "Magic shelf" technique. I've only had to use it a couple times, both at OD's insistence. My impulse is always to try to actually fix things, even if I know damn well it's all in the patient's head.

But remember, just like the "magic shelf," Doctors' remedies are often "magic remedies." An optician and an OD can tell the patient the same exact thing and the optician's opinion will be considered a load of crap while the doctor's opinion will be treated like a wagonload of gold.

Girl, you are a riot

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by daniokelberry View Post
    That's how I feel. I'm not sure how to convince my doctor otherwise. He took him back and changed the RX, but for some reason wants to blame the PD's
    If the error is the Rx, it's a prescribing error. If the error is the PD, it's a fitting error. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard, "Fitting heights or PD's or base curves are wrong, but as long as you have to remake, change the Rx." Sure Doc, blame me. I get it. There are 3 O's in this world. And if the Pt. can't see, it's always the little o's fault.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    .5mm doesn't seem like that much and we must remember that ANSI standards are a guide line which benefits the processor more than anyone else. You are assuming that the PD you took is spot on without any deviation. if the PD you took is off by a .5mm in the same direction then you are going to be a total of 1mm.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post
    .5mm doesn't seem like that much and we must remember that ANSI standards are a guide line which benefits the processor more than anyone else. You are assuming that the PD you took is spot on without any deviation. if the PD you took is off by a .5mm in the same direction then you are going to be a total of 1mm.
    Very good point, is the PD off .5 mm after fabrication, or was it measured .5mm off during the fitting?

Thread Information