Thread: Essilor and Luxottica sales dip ahead of merger ..........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Essilor and Luxottica sales dip ahead of merger ..........................

Essilor and Luxottica sales dip ahead of merger
    04-06-2018

Essilor and Luxottica have both reported a drop in first quarter earnings compared to the previous year, with fluctuating currencies, bad weather and a dip in wholesale revenue cited as the main contributors to the muted performance.

With the conclusion of the highly-anticipated merger approaching, sales for France-based Essilor dropped 5.8% to €1.8 billion (AU$2.8 b), due primarily to the weakness of key US, Chinese and Brazilian currencies against the euro.

see all of of it:
    http://www.insightnews.com.au/Articl...head-of-merger

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Essilor and Luxottica sales dip ahead of merger
    04-06-2018

Essilor and Luxottica have both reported a drop in first quarter earnings compared to the previous year, with fluctuating currencies, bad weather and a dip in wholesale revenue cited as the main contributors to the muted performance.

With the conclusion of the highly-anticipated merger approaching, sales for France-based Essilor dropped 5.8% to €1.8 billion (AU$2.8 b), due primarily to the weakness of key US, Chinese and Brazilian currencies against the euro.

see all of of it:
    http://www.insightnews.com.au/Articl...head-of-merger
    That's quite a large, sudden drop to blame simply on 'weakness of currencies'. Perhaps ECP's are starting to see the writing on the wall and doing something about it?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This may be a cynical response, but maybe some of the "revenue dip" is from them shutting down many of the online re-sellers of their products?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    That's quite a large, sudden drop to blame simply on 'weakness of currencies'. Perhaps ECP's are starting to see the writing on the wall and doing something about it?
    I like the optimism. But if the ECPs couldn't see the writing on the wall years ago, I don't think this latest move is going to convince them. I can hear them in my head now, "But, what will I do with all the people who come in asking for Ray-Ban and Coach?"

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper According to the rules at the time, Zeiss had to ban him ......................

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post

"But, what will I do with all the people who come in asking for Ray-Ban and Coach?"

Some 50 years ago, when Zeiss was the only king in lenses in Germany the president of the German master opticians opened a second floor office in Kiel Germany.

According to the rules at the time, Zeiss had to ban him and not sell him any of their lenses.

So he asked all his customers : " would you want a Zeiss lens or something better ?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I like the optimism. But if the ECPs couldn't see the writing on the wall years ago, I don't think this latest move is going to convince them. I can hear them in my head now, "But, what will I do with all the people who come in asking for Ray-Ban and Coach?"
    and Oakley, and Tory Burch...

Still working on changing my doc's perspective from the "everyone is looking for those brands!" as well.
    I understand you should offer what people are looking for and what will sell, but you don't have to sell pretty much what every major chain is already selling.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamEye View Post
    and Oakley, and Tory Burch...

Still working on changing my doc's perspective from the "everyone is looking for those brands!" as well.
    I understand you should offer what people are looking for and what will sell, but you don't have to sell pretty much what every major chain is already selling.
    Worse than that is when your doctor insists that you bring in a brand because "everybody is asking for it" when it's one person a week asking for it and there's a 70-piece buy-in to carry the line.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Worse than that is when your doctor insists that you bring in a brand because "everybody is asking for it" when it's one person a week asking for it and there's a 70-piece buy-in to carry the line.
    Exactly. And the one the patient asks for is a model you don't have part of that 70 piece buy in (or the right size, or color).

Rep: this aqua green tort is our number one seller!
    Optical: okay, I'll choose that one.
    Patient: Does it come in all black?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    should we host a charity ball for them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    should we host a charity ball for them?
    Heck no. But perhaps they should host one for us?

Thread Information