Thread: Optician Friendly Insurance Plans

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Optician Friendly Insurance Plans

Doing some research. Which plans can be taken by opticians and don’t require an OD?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Might depend on the state you live in, in California for example, I don't believe we can take any insurance plans without having an OD.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are NO dispenser or OD "friendly" "insurance" plans available today. There are degrees of villainy of course, but rest assured - ALL of them fall heavily on the side of their own financial interests, and NEVER yours, or your patients financial or health benefit.

With that said, it can indeed vary widely from state to state.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

There are NO dispenser or OD "friendly" "insurance" plans available today. There are degrees of villainy of course, but rest assured - ALL of them fall heavily on the side of their own financial interests, and NEVER yours, or your patients financial or health benefit.

The only experience I have in realty experienced in the USA, is by having to purchase my monthly medication without insurance, by staying a few weeks longer in Florida than planned.

The charge for my monthly pills was $ 1,550.00, for the same I usually pay in Canada $ 98.00.

One single item worth mentioning is my tiny spray bottle of Nitro which costs me up to $ 12.00 in Canada, they wanted $ 350.00.

I am convinced that the drugstores are not paying any more for the same drugs in the USA than their equivalents in Canada.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis used to give panels without OD, but there is no financial reason to take it without exam....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

With that said, it can indeed vary widely from state to state.
    With that said, anyone have more information on NJ? I believe Davis and Eyemed do. Not sure about others. Superior, Nva, Cps, Gvs, VSP, Spectera, Etc....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They all want OD, But why dont you ask them?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    They all want OD, But why dont you ask them?
    the insurance companies? I figured I would ask here first to here from others who may Be opticians and accept vision plans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really doubt there are many opticians who want to be involved with third party plans and dont have a doctor in NY. I understand that NJ could be different.... Unfortunately when the union member comes in, they mostly want to do exam and glasses at the same time and at the same place. And most of those unions would not let the member split the benefits.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I really doubt there are many opticians who want to be involved with third party plans and dont have a doctor in NY. I understand that NJ could be different.... Unfortunately when the union member comes in, they mostly want to do exam and glasses at the same time and at the same place. And most of those unions would not let the member split the benefits.
    I may have worded incorrectly. I know OD is a must for exams. But which insurances where OD does not need to be owned like VSP and optician can bill.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The only experience I have in realty experienced in the USA, is by having to purchase my monthly medication without insurance, by staying a few weeks longer in Florida than planned.

The charge for my monthly pills was $ 1,550.00, for the same I usually pay in Canada $ 98.00.

One single item worth mentioning is my tiny spray bottle of Nitro which costs me up to $ 12.00 in Canada, they wanted $ 350.00.

I am convinced that the drugstores are not paying any more for the same drugs in the USA than their equivalents in Canada.
    Shheeeesh, sounds like they work on big multiples Chris - almost like the ECPs? Nah, the ECPs must be greedier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Other then greed on the part of a pharmacy I am trying to wrap my mind around how this post has anything to do with Opticians or Optometrist as the original question posted by diana317 ask for.
    No need for a Optician to do anything with medication and very very little for a Optometrist to pay attention to.
    Not trying to be a smart ***, inquiring minds want to know.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by diana317 View Post
    Doing some research. Which plans can be taken by opticians and don’t require an OD?
    Around here, VSP is the only major plan that cannot be taken in-network without being doctor owned.

I'm trying to let this go, as you did say it was for research, but I am telling you now- if you are in a practice that is currently not accepting insurance and are looking to- it is not pleasant. I am trying DESPERATELY to talk my company into dropping Eyemed. Insurance will run you through flaming hoops, tell you they are going to pay you and then will send you less than, be absolutely useless to their patients when it comes to helping them 'figure out' their plan, will keep you on hold for 2 hours then disconnect you, all to try and get extra traffic in the door?? Not. Worth. It.

Be an awesome business that has people coming back for the selection and raving to their buddies about the fantastic service. Do not fall prey to insurance if you are free from their clutches now. Please, for the sake of everyone wishing to be in your shoes.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Around here, VSP is the only major plan that cannot be taken in-network without being doctor owned.

I'm trying to let this go, as you did say it was for research, but I am telling you now- if you are in a practice that is currently not accepting insurance and are looking to- it is not pleasant. I am trying DESPERATELY to talk my company into dropping Eyemed. Insurance will run you through flaming hoops, tell you they are going to pay you and then will send you less than, be absolutely useless to their patients when it comes to helping them 'figure out' their plan, will keep you on hold for 2 hours then disconnect you, all to try and get extra traffic in the door?? Not. Worth. It.

Be an awesome business that has people coming back for the selection and raving to their buddies about the fantastic service. Do not fall prey to insurance if you are free from their clutches now. Please, for the sake of everyone wishing to be in your shoes.
    i am actually thinking of opening cold. I agree with you that insurance is a scam, but it gets people in the door in the area I am in, and I’ve also been dealing with them for so many years i’ve Learned to make them work.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diana,

You can take VSP out of network and Eyemed as well. Neither are profitable. I believe you can take Superior and Davis too without an OD in office

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i am actually thinking of opening cold. I agree with you that insurance is a scam, but it gets people in the door in the area I am in, and I’ve also been dealing with them for so many years i’ve Learned to make them work.
    Where are you in NJ?
    I think you are better off finding someone in your state because of the 2 doors law....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the only plan that requires 51% OD ownership is VSP, but you can always bill VSP out of network thru third party or even direct!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen26 View Post
    Diana,

You can take VSP out of network and Eyemed as well. Neither are profitable. I believe you can take Superior and Davis too without an OD in office
    Is it through that PAtch subscribstion?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it through that PAtch subscribstion?
    You can actually do it yourself, but you have no assess to eligibility or thru Visionworld or GVS

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lol

Thread Information