Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: New Look Vision had record sales .................................

  1. #1
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Redhot Jumper New Look Vision had record sales .................................

    MONTRÉAL, March 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- New Look Vision Group Inc. ("New Look Vision" or the ‘Company’) (TSX:BCI), a leader in the Canadian optical business with 379 stores across Canada, reported financial results today for the 13 and 52 weeks ended December 30, 2017 (“Q4 2017” and “fiscal 2017”). This press release should be read in conjunction with the Company’s management discussion and analysis (the “MD&A") and consolidated financial statements for fiscal 2017, which are available on the Company’s website at www.newlookvision.ca/investors and have been posted on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.

    Revenues reached $67.5 million and adjusted EBITDA(1) reached $12.5 million for Q4 2017, representing increases of 23.9% and 28.3% respectively over last year. The revenue increase was mainly due to the net addition of 159 stores to the network in the last twelve months as well as same store sales growth of 2.8% over last year.

    See all of it:
    https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...scal-2017.html
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    MONTRÉAL, March 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- New Look Vision Group Inc. ("New Look Vision" or the ‘Company’) (TSX:BCI), a leader in the Canadian optical business with 379 stores across Canada, reported financial results today for the 13 and 52 weeks ended December 30, 2017 (“Q4 2017” and “fiscal 2017”). This press release should be read in conjunction with the Company’s management discussion and analysis (the “MD&A") and consolidated financial statements for fiscal 2017, which are available on the Company’s website at www.newlookvision.ca/investors and have been posted on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.

    Revenues reached $67.5 million and adjusted EBITDA(1) reached $12.5 million for Q4 2017, representing increases of 23.9% and 28.3% respectively over last year. The revenue increase was mainly due to the net addition of 159 stores to the network in the last twelve months as well as same store sales growth of 2.8% over last year.

    See all of it:
    https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...scal-2017.html
    Those are some decent figures with growth across the board. This just proves that independents need to stop whining about the onliners selling glasses and work more effectively with their smaller suppliers. Strong brick and mortar retail sales achievement is still possible with the right business model.

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Those are some decent figures with growth across the board. This just proves that independents need to stop whining about the onliners selling glasses and work more effectively with their smaller suppliers. Strong brick and mortar retail sales achievement is still possible with the right business model.
    What in this press release suggests that independents ought to work with smaller suppliers? Not that I disagree, but I don't see how NL's business model applies to my own whiny little independent practice.

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    What in this press release suggests that independents ought to work with smaller suppliers? Not that I disagree, but I don't see how NL's business model applies to my own whiny little independent practice.
    I didn't say 'their' business model, I said the right business model. Which means doing things differently, including more aggressive marketing, better trained staff than can sell, lowering your selling price (God forbid) to compete effectively and improve retention rates.

    Everybody whines from time to time, but many do diddly squat about it. Independents have a unique position in the marketplace since they can adjust their model on a whim, large corporations cannot.

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    I didn't say 'their' business model, I said the right business model. Which means doing things differently, including more aggressive marketing, better trained staff than can sell, lowering your selling price (God forbid) to compete effectively and improve retention rates.

    Everybody whines from time to time, but many do diddly squat about it. Independents have a unique position in the marketplace since they can adjust their model on a whim, large corporations cannot.
    And too toot my own horn....think about doing in house modified lens surfacing (Fast Grind) and save a LOT on your purchasing AND provide much faster delivery.

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    And too toot my own horn....think about doing in house modified lens surfacing (Fast Grind) and save a LOT on your purchasing AND provide much faster delivery.

    Great idea Don!

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    britishcolumbia
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    18
    Lab Insight you've hit the nail right on the head here - brick and mortars can be competitive with online! A lot of these older guys never had to compete with anyone other than the other opticals in town, so they're freaking out now that there's new competition out there. And they don't need to. As you say, the smaller the company the more agile it can be - shouldn't be that hard to make some changes and keep up with the times. Might even result in some positive changes for the consumer. More competition usually does that :)

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by throughalensdarkly View Post
    Lab Insight you've hit the nail right on the head here - brick and mortars can be competitive with online! A lot of these older guys never had to compete with anyone other than the other opticals in town, so they're freaking out now that there's new competition out there. And they don't need to. As you say, the smaller the company the more agile it can be - shouldn't be that hard to make some changes and keep up with the times. Might even result in some positive changes for the consumer. More competition usually does that :)
    Exactly! Thanks for the kind post.

  9. #9
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper As of March 20, 2018, it operated a network of 379 optical stores,...................

    New Look Vision Group Inc. provides eye care products and services in eastern Canada. The company offers prescription eyewear and non-prescription eyewear; contact lenses; sunglasses, protective eyewear, and reading glasses; and accessories, such as cleaning products for eyeglasses and contact lenses. As of March 20, 2018, it operated a network of 379 optical stores, including 208 stores in Quebec, 47 stores in British Columbia, 39 stores in Ontario, 25 stores in New Brunswick, 22 stores in Nova Scotia, 16 stores in Newfoundland & Labrador, 7 stores in Prince Edward Island, and 2 stores in Saskatchewan primarily under the New Look Eyewear, Vogue Optical, Greiche & Scaff, and Iris banners. The company also operates lens processing laboratories in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and Ville St-Laurent, Québec. The company was formerly known as New Look Eyewear Inc. and changed its name to New Look Vision Group Inc. in June 2015. New Look Vision Group Inc. was founded in 1986 and is headquartered in Montreal, Canada.

    source:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...ivcapId=876120


    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  10. #10
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper Who is investing $ ......................................

    Mr. Antoine Amiel is President, Director of the Company. He was Vice Chairman of the Board of the Company. He is an experienced international executive from the optical lens industry. Between 2009 and 2012, Mr. Amiel held executive positions within Nikon Essilor Co. Ltd., a Tokyo based joint venture between Nikon Corporation and Essilor International which manufactures and distributes Nikon ophthalmic lenses worldwide. From 2005 to 2012, he was Executive Officer, Vice President International Subsidiaries and CEO of Nikon Optical USA, Canada and United Kingdom. From 2002 to 2005, Mr. Amiel was Managing Director of Nikon Optical UK Ltd. From 1999 to 2002, he was Nikon Essilor’s Chief Financial Officer. Prior to his time with the joint venture he held several finance and marketing positions in Asia Pacific and North America

    Chairman Since 2015

    Amiel has a master in Corporation Finance from the University de Paris IX Dauphine.

    source:
    https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/man...-Antoine_Amiel
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  11. #11
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper So Figure it out yourself, who is the pulling the strings in this venture.

    Here is some more .....................................

    The company has accumulated 173.28 M in total debt with debt to equity ratio (D/E) of 123.2 indicating the company may have difficulties to generate enough cash to satisfy its financial obligations. New Look Vision Group has Current Ratio of 1.06 suggesting that it is in a questionable position to pay out its financial obligations in time and when they become due.

    source:
    https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/man...-Antoine_Amiel


    So Figure it out yourself, who is pulling the strings in this venture.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-16-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here is some more .....................................

    The company has accumulated 173.28 M in total debt with debt to equity ratio (D/E) of 123.2 indicating the company may have difficulties to generate enough cash to satisfy its financial obligations. New Look Vision Group has Current Ratio of 1.06 suggesting that it is in a questionable position to pay out its financial obligations in time and when they become due.

    source:
    https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/man...-Antoine_Amiel


    So Figure it out yourself, who is pulling the strings in this venture.
    Their capital must be derived from private equity firms, it's not Essilor. Essilor no longer 'lends' money without a large ownership stake. And the fact both companies are public and listed on the stock exchange, it would be listed as such by federal law, but it is not.

    As for the debt to equity ratio, they should hope the loan(s) never gets called early, or the interest rate spikes sharply.

  13. #13
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Redhot Jumper How one giant company will dominate the way the whole world sees. ...................

    The question is whether there is anyone, beyond its shareholders, that will be able to hold EssilorLuxottica to account. I’m not sure there is. The next few years might be rocky, as the new company grapples with its size and attempts to find a new leader who can define the corporation and its ultimate goals under the fading shadow of Del Vecchio. But after that, the field is open and the fundamentals are clear.

    See Post om Main Forum,
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-19-2018 at 04:03 AM.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  14. #14
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The question is whether there is anyone, beyond its shareholders, that will be able to hold EssilorLuxottica to account. I’m not sure there is. The next few years might be rocky, as the new company grapples with its size and attempts to find a new leader who can define the corporation and its ultimate goals under the fading shadow of Del Vecchio. But after that, the field is open and the fundamentals are clear.

    See Post om Main Forum,
    What happens when you put the two richest, biggest egos together in a room? Now try and marry them.

    There will be more issues than synergies to iron out along the way. Not to mention each has its own very large piggy bank.

    While it may take some time grappling for alpha dog position in the pack, that period will be an advantage for independent ECP's and suppliers to pave their own roads.

    Their marketing initiatives lately says it all - tons of educational training, we support ECP's, sweet notes and sentiments on LinkedIn, group hugs, charity events, yadee yadda. Damage control from their competitive online presence IMHO.

    Think they're not feeling guilty and concerned just a tad?
    Last edited by Lab Insight; 06-19-2018 at 06:00 AM.

  15. #15
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper Think they're not feeling guilty and concerned just a tad?...........................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    What happens when you put the two richest, biggest egos together in a room? Now try and marry them.

    Think they're not feeling guilty and concerned just a tad?

    No they are not feeling guilty just a tad. They are fully 100% prepared for their future and have been for always.

    I know that, because I worked on their American market study in the early 1960s. Even then nothing was done without checking in depth.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    No they are not feeling guilty just a tad. They are fully 100% prepared for their future and have been for always.

    I know that, because I worked on their American market study in the early 1960s. Even then nothing was done without checking in depth.
    Chris, as for the guilt, you could be right. As for the blending and mashing, could be interesting.

  17. #17
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Redhot Jumper Some more evidence;.....................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    As for the debt to equity ratio, they should hope the loan(s) never gets called early, or the interest rate spikes sharply.

    I found one more:


    2017

    In connection therewith, the Company raises $50,000,000 of new equity capital by private placement


    This confirms the In October, the Company acquires IRIS, le groupe visuel, a national optometrically driven chain and banner, with a network of 147 locations across Canada (50 corporate, 77 jointly owned and 20 franchised) for a price of $120,000,000.

    Company's position as the largest optical company in Canada with four significant banners, New Look Eyewear, Vogue Optical, Greiche & Scaff and IRIS and estimated annual sales of $265,000,000 (owned) and $315,000,000 (total network) respectively.

    source:
    http://www.newlookvision.ca/en/history.aspx
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I found one more:


    2017

    In connection therewith, the Company raises $50,000,000 of new equity capital by private placement


    This confirms the In October, the Company acquires IRIS, le groupe visuel, a national optometrically driven chain and banner, with a network of 147 locations across Canada (50 corporate, 77 jointly owned and 20 franchised) for a price of $120,000,000.

    Company's position as the largest optical company in Canada with four significant banners, New Look Eyewear, Vogue Optical, Greiche & Scaff and IRIS and estimated annual sales of $265,000,000 (owned) and $315,000,000 (total network) respectively.

    source:
    http://www.newlookvision.ca/en/history.aspx
    Could easily be gobbled up by EssilLux in the near future. This is the exact type of acquisition that is attractive. Coastal got CDN $435M and never made a single dollar in profit, wonder what exuberant amount this could potentially fetch?

  19. #19
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper The company is already run by an Essilux veteran, ......................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    Could easily be gobbled up by EssilLux in the near future. This is the exact type of acquisition that is attractive. Coastal got CDN $435M and never made a single dollar in profit, wonder what exuberant amount this could potentially fetch?


    The company is already run by an Essilux veteran, whose original citizenship is French and employment by Essilor can be traced back to 1999, at Essilor. He is now Chairman since 2015, all of it can be found on the internet.



    Amiel has a master in Corporation Finance from the University de Paris IX Dauphine.

    Looks like Essilux is already heavily involved.

    So what is your conclusion ?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 07-16-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  20. #20
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The company is already run by an Essilux veteran, whose original citizenship is French and employment by Essilor can be traced back to 1999, at Essilor. He is now Chairman since 2015, all of it can be found on the internet.


    Looks like Essilux is already heavily involved.

    So what is your conclusion ?
    That could both help and hinder the likelihood of a deal.

  21. #21
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    That could both help and hinder the likelihood of a deal.


    The whole thing is a one way street.........well planned and thought out to be in their favour.

    Just watch and wait, as the optical retail has always done over the last many years.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  22. #22
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,633

    Blue Jumper New Look Vision financed the acquisition .........................

    New Look Vision Group Inc. Completes Acquisition of Iris

    MONTREAL, QUEBEC--(Marketwired - Oct. 24, 2017) - New Look Vision Group Inc. (TSX:BCI) ("New Look Vision"), announced today that it has completed the acquisition of all of the shares of Iris, le groupe visuel (1990) Inc. ("Iris"). As previously announced, the purchase price is $120 million on a cash-free and debt-free basis, subject to customary post-closing price adjustments. Based in Laval, Quebec, Iris has a network of 147 locations across Canada. It is estimated that the combined entity will have annual system-wide revenues exceeding $315 million1, estimated consolidated revenues exceeding $265 million1,2 and a store network of 379 locations. It is the largest Canadian integrated retail optical company in a fragmented optical retail industry characterized by competition from other optical retail chains and independent operators, as well as vertically integrated business models, warehouse stores, supercenters and online retailers
    As previously announced, New Look Vision financed the acquisition though an increase to its senior secured term facility with its bank syndicate, a new junior unsecured debt facility and the private placement of 1,616,000 subscription receipts at a price of $30.94 per subscription receipt. These subscription receipts are exchangeable today for 1,616,000 Class A common shares of New Look Vision. As a result thereof, 15,439,260 Class A common shares of New Look Vision are currently issued and outstanding.

    source:
    http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...ci-2238237.htm


    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Look Vision reported record revenues ...................................
    By Chris Ryser in forum Canadian Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2018, 05:41 AM
  2. OPTICAL SALES CUMMING GA, pearle vision
    By KINGY in forum The Job Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
  3. Sales Tax for low vision aids
    By icmor in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 04:07 AM
  4. Sales Tax on Low Vision Devices
    By AZeyedoc21 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
  5. Sales Representative - Vision Care
    By Bausch & Lomb in forum The Job Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2000, 06:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics and Vision Equipment