Thread: Lenses and how to minimize or avoid fisheye lens effect

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Lenses and how to minimize or avoid fisheye lens effect

First I must apologize for posting in your professional forum but I really need your help as no optician has been able to help me.

I always used to buy my glasses at a local optician and always got 1.67 Zeiss, Rodenstock, brand name etc. with the best AR coating.

My prescription is:
    Right: sph -5.25, cyl. -0.50, Axis 153°
    Left: sph -4.50 cyl. -2.75, Axis 22°
    PD: Right 32.5 Left 32.5

My lenses have always produced a degree of fisheye lens effect. Just thought nothing could be done about this and I just got used to it.

Until recently where I bought a set of glasses online in Germany with a noname lens. Still chose 1.67 and best AR coating.

These glasses had almost no fisheye lens effect compared to my most recent Zeiss duravision platinium 1.67.
    Flat things once again looked flat. My pc monitor looked flat, not like looking at the top of a sphere.
    I took the cheap glasses to a number of local opticians to get analyzed, trying to find the answer to why these cheap lenses produced a more correct vision.
    They were intrigued but unable to find out why. The only thing that was very evident was that the AR coating was incredible bad and that the lenses seem to be a little bit thicker than Zeiss 1.67 however not much.
    I later returned them because of the poor AR coating. Considering getting them back though.

I since ordered 2 more sets of glasses online trying to figure out this optical mystery.
    Ordered a set with essilor 1.67 Crizal Forte coating.
    Very nice coating but they had a little more fisheye lens effect than the set from Germany however less than the Zeiss.

Ordered a super cheap version with 1.6 noname lens and the cheapest AR coating possible.
    These had the same level of fisheye lens effect as the Zeiss but a much sharper peripheral vision. Which I understand is to be expected from a lower index lens. I would love to try 1.5 index too. But it will probably be a little thick.

All lenses bought was fitted in the exact same frame. All lenses was tested at a local optician and found to have the exact same prescription.

Does anyone have any insight? I would love to find the lens that gives me the best vision regardless of price.

Thank you for reading
    Hope you can help me

- Peter

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you will not get any help here, this forum as you know is for optical professionals

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I'm sorry to hear that as you are the only place with the knowledge to help me

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nightrhyme View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that as you are the only place with the knowledge to help me
    There is no way anyone here COULD help you. You need to go to see someone, a doctor and an optician who is familiar with the situation. I'm sorry you couldn't find one so far that could help you but you must keep looking. There is absolutely no way.

Occupation
    As per the forum rules you agreed to when you registered:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are not allowed to post on the Board, although they can read posts and search topics."

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information