Thread: Any one with experience using edger wheels from "superabrasive"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Any one with experience using edger wheels from "superabrasive"

Hi,
    Was interested in getting a rough grind wheel for our Santinelli 9000 edger. I found a company online, www.superabrasive.com which seems to have much lower prices than the original wheels from Santinelli. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if the wheels are good quality. The products are made in Bulgaria and are very inexpensive. This would be for mainly poly and plastic work. We don't do trivex or glass. There seems to be a tremendous variance on the prices with these wheels. For example, the original one from Nidek is "Norikato brand" and is being sold for $1300! I've found other manufacturers such as CDP Diamond Products inc who offer their own version for a fraction of the cost. The only difference between the CDP one and the Superabrasive one is that CDP manufactures in the U.S. Seems like a roughing wheel is not rocket science and should not range in price from cheap to astronomical.
    Last edited by adoc; 05-17-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a roughing wheel and finishing wheel from superabrasive on my ME1000. I see no difference. Also where are you seeing $1300 roughing wheels? The Santinelli Catalog has them listed for $675 or $375.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc View Post
    Hi,
    Was interested in getting a rough grind wheel for our Santinelli 9000 edger. I found a company online, www.superabrasive.com which seems to have much lower prices than the original wheels from Santinelli. I was wondering if anyone has used them and if the wheels are good quality. The products are made in Bulgaria and are very inexpensive. This would be for mainly poly and plastic work. We don't do trivex or glass. There seems to be a tremendous variance on the prices with these wheels. For example, the original one from Nidek is "Norikato brand" and is being sold for $1300! I've found other manufacturers such as CDP Diamond Products inc who offer their own version for a fraction of the cost. The only difference between the CDP one and the Superabrasive one is that CDP manufactures in the U.S. Seems like a roughing wheel is not rocket science and should not range in price from cheap to astronomical.
    Used them many moons ago when we used to rebuild edgers, bought a bunch, never had any problems

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I have a roughing wheel and finishing wheel from superabrasive on my ME1000. I see no difference. Also where are you seeing $1300 roughing wheels? The Santinelli Catalog has them listed for $675 or $375.

It was advertised on optiboard on Jan 11 2018 by Piramida for $1300. I have also seen one on ebay for $1200. So, yes, they are out there. A little too rich for my taste. If superabrasive works well I will gladly buy that instead.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Grinding wheels either diamond or vitrified are a standard off the shelf product which are branded for resale by your edger manufacturer. You can save a big bunch of money by buying them from an industrial supply house.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc View Post
    It was advertised on optiboard on Jan 11 2018 by Piramida for $1300. I have also seen one on ebay for $1200. So, yes, they are out there. A little too rich for my taste. If superabrasive works well I will gladly buy that instead.
    I assume you are referring to this posting? Where Piramida is selling the wheels for less than directly from Santinelli. The roughing wheel #32101104 is $500 is that post and is $675 from Santinelli. $1300 is for a finish or polish wheel, which are $1500 from Santinelli.

Do you need a roughing, finish or polish wheel?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The specialty Trivex wheel from Superabrasives is a winner on my ME1200. An absolute MUST for trivex

B

Thread Information