Thread: 1.67 FT28 with Transitions

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

1.67 FT28 with Transitions

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a lab that makes a ft28 1.67 with Transitions? I checked with all of our lab accounts and the highest index I can find with transitions is 1.56.

This patient has an rx of +6.25-025x085 and +6.25-1.25x180.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As far as I know, it isn’t available. I’d like to know as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I googled around and saw an online retailer offering a 1.67 ft28 with trans by a lens company named optimum one but I cant find any info on the Optimum One company.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Upgrade the patient to a Shamir Duo (digital bifocal option) and you can get Trans.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Vision Dynamics also supposedly has something called Sun Smart, but I have never worked worked with this company. I agree with switching to a Duo to keep the material in this instance. If I had to go with a line, I would suggest the Trivex/poly composite lens from Younger. It is mostly poly to keep the lens thin but the transition layer is Trivex so it works better.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I wasnt familiar with the Duo lens but after looking it over, we convinced the patient to give it a try.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Quince. Duo is a whole another thing. St28 trivex composite is so good a thing that Essilor is using it themselves on the newest Transpoly lenses. Call it Transitions 7.5

One thing I like about shamir is they don't change the name of their lens every time they update the software.

Younger/shamir/Hoya could the three of them stand up against the E? That would be a lot of shares to buy.

I don't fit 1.67 ft anymore unless its approaching - 10. And if I do its zeiss sourced 1.67, which is rare.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I agree with Quince. Duo is a whole another thing. St28 trivex composite is so good a thing that Essilor is using it themselves on the newest Transpoly lenses. Call it Transitions 7.5

One thing I like about shamir is they don't change the name of their lens every time they update the software.

Younger/shamir/Hoya could the three of them stand up against the E? That would be a lot of shares to buy.

I don't fit 1.67 ft anymore unless its approaching - 10. And if I do its zeiss sourced 1.67, which is rare.
    Shamir is majority owned by Essilor globally so that's not going to happen. The only company that could challenge them head to head financially is Hoya, but they lack the cahoonas to do so, not to mention they are happy eating Essilor's scraps from their growing online investment and presence.

Ironically (not), Hoya has also entered the direct to retail arena, naturally under an alias in the hopes it goes unnoticed. The only pioneer manufacturer that is left out there with a stellar squeaky clean history to date is Younger and I sure hope it stays that way. They have zero interest in wavering from their business model and rightfully so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Shamir is majority owned by Essilor globally so that's not going to happen. The only company that could challenge them head to head financially is Hoya, but they lack the cahoonas to do so, not to mention they are happy eating Essilor's scraps from their growing online investment and presence.

Ironically (not), Hoya has also entered the direct to retail arena, naturally under an alias in the hopes it goes unnoticed. The only pioneer manufacturer that is left out there with a stellar squeaky clean history to date is Younger and I sure hope it stays that way. They have zero interest in wavering from their business model and rightfully so.
    I did not know Shamir was majority owned, I thought they are like how Trans used to be in that they were 49% owned.

Interesting about Hoya.

I have heard rumblings from industry people for a while that Hoya and Younger are on the verge of combining.

I love younger products.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I did not know Shamir was majority owned, I thought they are like how Trans used to be in that they were 49% owned.

Interesting about Hoya.

I have heard rumblings from industry people for a while that Hoya and Younger are on the verge of combining.

I love younger products.
    If you look at Hoya's recent acquisitions, I wouldn't call them stellar, pays very little for them, and are usually companies Essilor has already passed on.

Hoya will never ante up enough capital to acquire Younger, it is a healthy booming very successful business.
    Last edited by Lab Insight; 05-12-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Hoya will never ante up enough capital to acquire Younger, it is a healthy booming very successful business.
    Maybe vice versa then?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, back to the original thread, even though it appears like I'm a day late and a dollar short...

Not sure if anyone saw this in 20/20 a little while back, but SunSensors apparently has availability for 1.60 and 1.67 in a photochromic straight-top. There is a list of suppliers near the end of the article that states Cherry Optical, Digital Eye Lab, Expert Optics, and Luzerne all have access to this product.

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/materiall...d-photochromic

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    So, back to the original thread, even though it appears like I'm a day late and a dollar short...

Not sure if anyone saw this in 20/20 a little while back, but SunSensors apparently has availability for 1.60 and 1.67 in a photochromic straight-top. There is a list of suppliers near the end of the article that states Cherry Optical, Digital Eye Lab, Expert Optics, and Luzerne all have access to this product.

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/materiall...d-photochromic
    Interesting. I called one of those labs looking for a 1.67 ST28 with transitions within the last 2 weeks and they didn't have anything to offer. One lab recommended trivex because apparently the trivex ST28 is thinner than the poly ST28.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post
    Interesting. I called one of those labs looking for a 1.67 ST28 with transitions within the last 2 weeks and they didn't have anything to offer. One lab recommended trivex because apparently the trivex ST28 is thinner than the poly ST28.

I wasn't sure if this last bit was sarcasm, but just in case it isn't- that is false. Unless- they are referring to the Younger composite. In which case, it is as thin as poly but the Trans is more effective because that portion is Trilogy (trivex).

I have also been told by Cherry that they don't offer a hi index FT trans- I did not ask specifically about Sunsensors, mainly because I would rather not use that version of a photochromic.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    At that high of an RX, I'd rather have the 1.67 with an inferior photochromic than brand-name Transitions with any other material. The lens weight and thickness affect the patient every waking moment; the photochromic only occasionally.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What really would be the difference in center thickness between a Poly FT trans or a 1.67 sunsensor in that RX, assuming knife edges and well fit frame? I did around a +5.75 in trivex trans with knife edges in an 8 base lens and they came out about 3.5 mm center thickness. Thats pretty darn good.

Before recommending hi index to a person with an RX like that I always pick the frame first and calculate the resultant options.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Before recommending hi index to a person with an RX like that I always pick the frame first and calculate the resultant options.
    Frame selection is absolutely the most important factor for this RX.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Vision Dynamics SunSmart FT28 photochromic is a good performing photochromic. It can be ordered through pretty much any wholesale lab, however it is a fairly new product so your lab may or may not know about it.

Thread Information