Thread: Ian Jordan plans a trip to Houston in November...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ian Jordan plans a trip to Houston in November...

The winds from across the pond carry whispers that Ian Jordan will be speaking in the Houston area this November.

Mr Jordan works in cutting edge aspects of vision correction using specific (often extremely specific) tints in lenses to help an array of visual issues.

Those who recognize the name may recall he was recently banned in Great Britain from calling himself an Optician.

His ongoing litigation to restore his reputation will keep him from speaking directly to us but as I have only recently heard about this trip I wanted to get this out there sooner rather than later.

For now let me get his Ayr Scotland home page up for all to see. When I have more time- or perhaps some of us can post OB links to his work...

http://www.jordanseyes.com/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Here is the Full story, published by the BBC..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Those who recognize the name may recall he was recently banned in Great Britain from calling himself an Optician.

Here is the Full story, published by the BBC:

An optician who claims to be able to treat the vision of people with autism and brain injuries using coloured filters has been struck off.
    Ian Jordan works in Ayr but has seen thousands of patients from across the UK and abroad.
    He claims he has been able to transform the lives of patients with a range of visual problems by using tinted lenses.
    But the General Optical Council has now "erased" him from its register of dispensing opticians.

Read the actual full story at BBC, of March 8, 2018 :

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-43300723

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here is the Full story, published by the BBC:

An optician who claims to be able to treat the vision of people with autism and brain injuries using coloured filters has been struck off.
    Ian Jordan works in Ayr but has seen thousands of patients from across the UK and abroad.
    He claims he has been able to transform the lives of patients with a range of visual problems by using tinted lenses.
    But the General Optical Council has now "erased" him from its register of dispensing opticians.

Read the actual full story at BBC, of March 8, 2018 :

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-43300723
    Or you can go here where it was already discussed back in March: https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...-Coast-Lecture
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So close..... yet sooooo far!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    History is full of examples where someone with innovative thinking decides to specialize in an area not particularly understood by their colleagues, discovers new and wonderful applications that appear to benefit mankind, then finds that regulatory officials banded together against his discoveries and talent using the excuse ‘to protect the public’. 18th century thinking at its worst. Thank goodness that Ian Jordan can still continue his work as an innovative vision therapy consultant.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Optician struck off over autism claims .............................

Optician struck off over autism claims

9th March 2018 by Gareth Jone

An optician has been struck off for claiming that he could treat people with autism by using coloured filters.
    Ian Jordan was found to have shown disregard for his professional colleagues and had displayed inflated confidence in his own abilities by the General Optical Council.

Jordan said he believed that many people on the autistic spectrum had some form of prosopagnosia, or face-blindness, a cognitive disorder of face perception rather than a problem with their eyes. The optician works in Ayr but has seen people from across the world.

He said he had delivered positive treatment to around 5,500 people and said that giving people glasses with tinted lenses could deliver life-changing results.

"The differences in people are life-changing,” Jordan told the BBC. “We see people on a daily basis with all sorts of major problems."

Experts have said that although the lenses can be used to treat conditions such as migraines and reading difficulties, making grand claims about them brings the profession into disrepute.

The council said removing Jordan from its register of dispensing opticians was the only sanction suitable to protect patients.

The determination said he had shown disregard for the scope of his practice and the potential risks to patients. It also said there had been repeated and persistent departures from professional standards.

Charlene Tait, director of autism practice and research at Scottish Autism, said research had shown that there is no cure for autism.

“All scientific evidence and credible research compiled to date indicates there is no cure for autism," she said. "That is why we put our focus on promoting further understanding and acceptance of the condition across society and supporting autistic people enhance their quality of life and access as many as opportunities as possible.”

Read more at: http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-new...5uHFWcSFqph.99

source:
    http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-new...-autism-claims

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ian Jordan will be speaking in Casper, Wyoming for two full days. One of the events that members would be interested in can be found on eventbrite.com . search Casper WY Vision Connect 2018 Professional Development or here is a direct link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/vision-...ts-49644955398 .

Anyone here is welcome to attend. Also if you are in the United States and have a BPI turbo tinter please contact me at wyovisualstress@gmail.com as I am seeking temporary assistance in the US tinting lenses using the V-Dex line of tints Ian uses. I am the only clinic in the US doing this at this time. I will eventually purchase the equipment to do tinting.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The dates are coming very soon. November 5th and 8th, just before he leaves to speak in Houston.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So....the elephant in the room - Has he now been able to back up the claims with data and science since he was defrocked (or whatever the Scottish Dispensing board calls it) for not doing so before?

Occupation

Blue Jumper The 5th World Autism Organization ..................................................

The 5th World Autism Organization International Congress (WAO2018) has been approved as a continuing professional education (CPE) provider for the State of Texas!

Conference Program

Check back often for program updates!

*Program is subject to change
    TUESDAY NOVEMBER 13, 2018

CS 48 Recognising, assessing and treating some of the most significant symptoms of ASD using visual processing modification
    Jordan, Ian (United Kingdom) + MaGuire, Grianne (Ireland)

See all of it:

http://worldautismorganisation.com/c...at-a-glance-26

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    So....the elephant in the room - Has he now been able to back up the claims with data and science since he was defrocked (or whatever the Scottish Dispensing board calls it) for not doing so before?
    There's more to it than that Uilleann. This is an optician telling the medical community (and the very closed UK opticians guild that is obviously very dependent on the medical community) that something as simple as a very specific tint is showing promise for many heretofore conditions thought to be not treatable.

Jordan's studies are out there but are dismissed much the way the chiropractor was decades ago.

Also, this may never be "proved" as it is related to photons and quantum mechanics (physics?), which cannot be proved but examples are consistent in countless applications. So when EEG's are showing brain activity where none previously existed and the patient is responding positively who are we to deny them this benefit?

Oh- That's right...lowly opticians!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's more to it than that Uilleann. This is an optician telling the medical community (and the very closed UK opticians guild) that something as simple as a very specific tint is showing promise for many heretofore conditions thought to be not treatable.

Jordan's studies are out there but are dismissed much the way the chiropractor was decades ago.

Also, this may never be "proved" as it is related to photons and quantum mechanics (physics?), which cannot be proved but examples are consistent in countless applications. So when EEG's are showing brain activity where none previously existed and the patient is responding positively who are we to deny them this benefit?

Oh- That's right...lowly opticians!!!
    I dunno - everything I read on why he was censured or whatever they called it, was because he could demonstrate no medical correlation. No charting. No notes. No follow up testing. There are scientific and medical testing methods in place for a reason - to negate and call out quackery and pseudoscience. And while I'm always a proponent of pushing new frontiers of knowledge, it seems he was - at best - exceedingly sloppy in his testing and documentation. *shrug*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have it on good authority he is basically being railroaded but is appealing and cannot respond to news media/internet reports of everything that went on and is going on.

Stay tuned.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will wait with great anticipation. In the interim, I'll remain healthily skeptical...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's more to it than that Uilleann. This is an optician telling the medical community (and the very closed UK opticians guild) that something as simple as a very specific tint is showing promise for many heretofore conditions thought to be not treatable. Jordan's studies are out there but are dismissed much the way the chiropractor was decades ago.

Also, this may never be "proved" as it is related to photons and quantum mechanics (physics?), which cannot be proved but examples are consistent in countless applications. So when EEG's are showing brain activity where none previously existed and the patient is responding positively who are we to deny them this benefit? Oh- That's right...lowly opticians!!!
    I cannot agree more.

I watched and was very impressed by one young girl laboriously trying to read a written page of material, and then a simple purple-tinted plastic sheet was superimposed on top. Suddenly she could read the same page without any seemingly trouble, but what impressed me was when she suddenly turned to the researcher and screamed...

'Why wasn't I give this (tinted page) before!!'

Sure, not very scientific evidence. Nevertheless I found her reaction very compelling.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If there is a scientific basis for the claims he makes, they should be repeatable by other researchers, and treatment protocols established. That's the way it's done in science. Anecdotes are nice to see/hear - but do not a scientific method make.

Occupation
    Another chapter in the ongoing practice of pulling the wool over the eyes of the sheep. At least it "does no harm" unlike the lobotomy or the Belladonna treatment. Just another “Essay on False Genius”

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If there is a scientific basis for the claims he makes, they should be repeatable by other researchers, and treatment protocols established. That's the way it's done in science. Anecdotes are nice to see/hear - but do not a scientific method make.
    Yes his science is there but being dismissed by the medical and his professional community by and large.

I believe he is involved in litigation that prevents him from defending himself publicly for now- but like I said- stay tuned.

Mr. Jordan will be the first (and has) admitted this will not work for everyone, but when it does results can be dramatic and life changing.

I'm thinking he's something like a modern day Faraday and is waiting for Maxwell to come along.

For the non nerd among us:

https://www.signature-reads.com/2014...agnetic-world/
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-01-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Who was pictured in the famous photo on Einstein's study wall???

Occupation

Redhot Jumper General Opticians Council of the UK: Reinstate Ian Jordan ...........................

General Opticians Council of the UK: Reinstate Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan is a global expert on optics and sensory integration, and over many years has helped thousands of children and adults with sensory issues related to Autism, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, and other developmental disorders.
    His colored glasses, and systems for testing, have been groundbreaking. Children who could not recognize their parent’s faces have looked on those for the first time, or who have never been able to write in a straight line soared in educational attainment. Ian managed to get positive results for double vision, where the local hospital had failed repeatedly.

Jordan’s Opticians has been a lifeline for many—and often the only real improvement patients have seen in their quality of life. For myself, his glasses helped improve my balance and coordination. For parents and children desperate to improve, Ian’s practice has been a lifeline. I have recommended over twenty people to Ian’s practice who were experiencing vision and sensory issues in relation to developmental problems. Ian’s outstanding commitment to patient care, and his passion for improving the lives of children with sensory integration issues. His work has spread mostly by word of mouth, as patients who have seen positive results share their experiences with friends and family.

After a ten year investigation costing tens of thousands of pounds, the General Optician’s Council has struck Ian off because—according to their ‘expert’ who has never seen Ian work, and never talked to any of the thousands of patients he’s helped—there ‘might’ be a theoretical risk and patients ‘might’ get ‘false hope’.

The GOC have also slurred his professional reputation by saying he ‘diagnosed’ autism unlawfully. This is arrant nonsense, and one I can testify to personally.

As a responsible clinician, if a child is displaying a broadly recognizable set of traits related to autism in front of him, Ian refers the child and parents back to their GP for am assessment and, following that assessment, a diagnoses by the relevant NHS team. Any professional in the team around the child may do so. That is what happened in my case (and he wasn’t the only professional surrounding her raising those concerns, her nursery workers did the same) and the diagnosis of my daughter's Autism was made by the local diagnostics team. It is not possible in the UK for anyone to make an official diagnosis of autism other than a trained diagnostician, and the referral always goes through the Health Visitor or GP.

The GOC have struck Ian off because . . . well, we’re at a loss.

Did he harm anyone?

No.

Was anyone hurt by assessment received at Jordan’s Opticians?

No.

Did his glasses or machinery blind people, perhaps?

Er. . .no.

Nothing.There is not a single cogent reason for striking Ian off.

He was struck off because ‘might’ be giving ‘false’ hope. Because there ‘might’be a ‘theoretical risk’. In doing so the GOC ignored the thousands of real patient experiences in the face of nebulous “theory” from an expert who has not spoken to a single one of us.

Our voices, apparently, do not matter. The GOC have also ignored the testimony of respected expert who HAS seen Ian work.

This was not an investigation. It was witch-hunt by a medical-industrial complex with a clear bias and an unethical agenda.

This petition is to call on the General Opticians Council to reinstate Ian Jordan, to retract their vile, inaccurate, and unjust findings, and to apologies to the Jordansfor ten years of a groundless, vexatious investigation.
    Enough's enough.

Please add your voice to mine, and share if you can any positive experience sand real results you’ve had with Ian Jordan and his practice.

I will continue to recommend Jordan's Opticians—still in business—to all friends, family and acquaintances who are having sensory issues with vision. Jordan’s will be remaining my optician and my choice for my child.

Lucy Johnson

Patient

Source: https://www.change.org/p/the-general...ate-ian-jordan

:
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 11-01-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So Lucy has nothing but anecdotal evidence as well? This smacks of the entire silly blue light scare frankly. I remain highly skeptical...

Always happy to see peer reviewed and repeated scientific study data to change my mind of course.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

This smacks of the entire silly blue light scare frankly. I remain highly skeptical...

Always happy to see peer reviewed and repeated scientific study data to change my mind of course.

.............................good point

Ian Jordan is missing scientific backing, but what counts even more these days, the financial one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Johnson.Patient

I will continue to recommend Jordan's Opticians—still in business—to all friends, family and acquaintances who are having sensory issues with vision. Jordan’s will be remaining my optician and my choice for my child.

.............................good point

Ian Jordan is missing scientific backing, but what counts even more these days, the financial one.

If above recommendation would have been written by Bill Gates, how would the reaction have been ?

Blue light protection has all the financial backing by the largest optical Corporation.

Thread Information