Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How one giant company will dominate the way the whole world sees.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper How one giant company will dominate the way the whole world sees.

Here is what got sent to my email box this morning, the full history and background to the merger between Essilor and Luxottica, totally complete and in details, and fascinating to read all of it.

How one giant company will dominate the way the whole world sees.
    By Sam Knight
    Thu 10 May 2018 02.13 EDT

If you have been wearing glasses for years, like me, it can be surprising to discover that you perceive the world thanks to a few giant companies that you have never heard of. Worrying about the fraying edge of motorway lights at night, or words that slide on the page, and occasionally spending a fortune at the opticians is, for many of us, enough to think about. And spectacles are unusual things. It is hard to think of another object in our society which is both a medical device that you don’t want and a fashion accessory which you do.

Buying them, in my experience anyway, is a fraught, somewhat exciting exercise that starts in a darkened room, where you contemplate the blurred letters and the degeneration of your visual cortex, and ends in a bright, gallery-like space where you enjoy the spry feel of acetate in your fingers, listen to what you are told, pay more than you were expecting to, and look forward to inhabiting a new, slightly sharper version of your existing self.

The $100bn (£74bn) eyewear industry is built on feelings such as this. In the trade, the choreography that takes you from the consulting room to the enticing, bare-brick display of £200 frames is known as “romancing the product”. The number of eye tests that turn into sales is the “capture rate”, which most opticians in Britain (or optometrists, as they are known in the rest of the world) set at around 60%. During the 20th century, the eyewear business worked hard to transform a physical deficiency into a statement of style. In the process, optical retailers learned the strange fact that for something that costs only a few pounds to make (even top-of-the-range frames and lenses cost, combined, no more than about £30 to produce), we are happy, happier in fact, when paying 10 or 20 times that amount. “The margins,” as one veteran of the sector told me carefully, “are outrageous.” The co-founder of Specsavers, May Perkins, is Britain’s first self-made female billionaire.

Almost everyone wears glasses at some point in their lives. In developed countries, the rule of thumb is that around 70% of adults need corrective lenses to see well. In Britain, that translates to some 35 million people. But it’s hardly a topic of national conversation. To the casual observer, the optical market also presents a busy and confusing sight. In Britain, thousands of independent opticians rub alongside a few big retail chains such as Specsavers, Vision Express and Boots. The wall displays in even a small, local optician hold several hundred frames, metal, acetate and rimless, while posters advertise a range of lenses with sciencey-sounding properties – “freeform”, “photo-fusion”, “reflex vision” – and names so bland they are hard to remember even when you are looking straight at them.

But what we see masks the underlying structure of the global eyewear business. Over the last generation, just two companies have risen above all the rest to dominate the industry. The lenses in my glasses – and yours too, most likely – are made by Essilor, a French multinational that controls almost half of the world’s prescription lens business and has acquired more than 250 other companies in the past 20 years.

There is a good chance, meanwhile, that your frames are made by Luxottica, an Italian company with an unparalleled combination of factories, designer labels and retail outlets. Luxottica pioneered the use of luxury brands in the optical business, and one of the many powerful functions of names such as Ray-Ban (which is owned by Luxottica) or Vogue (which is owned by Luxottica) or Prada (whose glasses are made by Luxottica) or Oliver Peoples (which is owned by Luxottica) or high-street outlets such as LensCrafters, the largest optical retailer in the US (which is owned by Luxottica), or John Lewis Opticians in the UK (which is run by Luxottica), or Sunglass Hut (which is owned by Luxottica) is to make the marketplace feel more varied than it actually is.

continue reading:
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ilor-luxottica

Occupation

Blue Jumper Luxottica currently has almost 9,000 stores ....................................

Luxottica currently has almost 9,000 stores and contracts with a further 100,000 opticians around the world – means it can bring products to market faster and in greater quantities than any of its rivals. It also keeps a larger proportion of its profits as a result.

I always posted that there would be some 5000 retails stores
    and just learned that there is nearly double that plus the Essilor chains they did recently purchase which make a huge number of already owned retail stores.

Occupation

Blue Jumper The transformation of glasses from a medical device to a means of self-expression....

The transformation of glasses from a medical device to a means of self-expression, like clothes or sneakers, has been a source of joy for millions of people. But it has also obscured their original purpose, and complicated efforts to distribute them as easily as, say, mosquito nets or aspirin.

........in another part of the article.

However they will work at it to achieve their goal any way possible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Old stale news. Like saying that it appears Amazon is on its way to dominance. Snooze. Wake me when something fresh happens.
    I think we areat an inflection and the dominance of essilux may begin to weaken.
    They are not immune to the double-edged sword of web price transparency, deflationary technology and access to information, all of which are margin-busters.
    Personally I have never had a year in business where my gross margins % are anywhere close to those of Essilor or Luxottica - who is the greedy player here?
    Luxottica does not have major pricing power right now and that is why they are merging, IMHO. To compensate for reduced pricing power they are cutting costs, producing cheaper and cheaper quality product - which has hit rock bottom. Essilor had a rough year in canada, which while a small market, may be a canary in a coal mine.
    Start up Alt-brands in general are affecting old economy brands (eg. dollar shave club vs gillette?) - and this is absolutely happening in our industry - which might not be so bad for independents going forward. We'll see.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper the dominance of essilux may begin to weaken .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

Old stale news. Like saying that it appears Amazon is on its way to dominance. Snooze. Wake me when something fresh happens.

I think we are at an inflection and the dominance of essilux may begin to weaken.

We'll see.

Maybe you were already snoozing when you read the full article, or you only read what was on my post.

I have followed the development for many years, and have seen the development since its humble start in North America as a distributor company, by the name of "Optique Moderne" owned by 5 optometrists in Montreal, who run out of money three or four years later. That was 35 years ago.

They will have a start with 10,000 retail stores on a worldwide basis and some 100,000 opticians and optometrist doing the B&M retail business, while you fall asleep and snooze, and not see how fast they will be growing that sector, as well as all the others.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The sky is falling!

(again. if you enjoy competing in the race to the bottom.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    That article is right about a lot of things, but wrong about a lot as well

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That was an exciting reading for me. Thank you, Chris.
    The more i learn, the more i understand how less i know.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Den, thank you for the compliment....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post

That was an exciting reading for me. Thank you, Chris.
    The more i learn, the more i understand how less i know.

Den, thank you for the compliment....................................

I have seen this coming for the last 12 years. It will be the end of the optical retail market as we have known it to be for the last few hundred years, a well to do and profitable profession.

We have always been known to be in a high precision profession run by real professionals.

These days it is the online business that provides superb service.
    I ordered a dog training item from Amazon on Thursday afternoon at 3pm for some $ 52.00 with delivery in Naples FL yesterday on Sunday. It was actually delivered yesterday at 1.00 pm by an official US post office car.

US post office employees working Sunday, delivering online purchased goods.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Den, thank you for the compliment....................................

I have seen this coming for the last 12 years. It will be the end of the optical retail market as we have known it to be for the last few hundred years, a well to do and profitable profession.

We have always been known to be in a high precision profession run by real professionals.

These days it is the online business that provides superb service.
    I ordered a dog training item from Amazon on Thursday afternoon at 3pm for some $ 52.00 with delivery in Naples FL yesterday on Sunday. It was actually delivered yesterday at 1.00 pm by an official US post office car.

US post office employees working Sunday, delivering online purchased goods.
    Chris!!!! You just contributed to the demise of yet another independent pet shop owner with your on line purchase!!!!!! If you think independent opticians are on the verge of extinction just try to find an independent pet shop anymore.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Chris!!!! You just contributed to the demise of yet another independent pet shop owner with your on line purchase!!!!!! If you think independent opticians are on the verge of extinction just try to find an independent pet shop anymore.
    Embrace it or be steamrolled. The days of worrying and waiting for it to happen are long behind us. If anyone has survived the tidal wave, the tsunami will be even harder.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    I'm not Chris, but there is a really cute dog salon next door to my shop. If it were a cat salon, I'd have to quit my job and spend my time there petting them all instead.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    “we are happy, happier in fact, when paying 10 or 20 times that amount. The margins,” as one veteran of the sector told me carefully, “are outrageous.” The co-founder of Specsavers, May Perkins, is Britain’s first self-made female billionaire.
    What is LUX's frame margins? I'd bet they are closer to 10x than mine.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper What is LUX's frame margins?......................................

Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post

What is LUX's frame margins? I'd bet they are closer to 10x than mine.

Their margin can be at any level you can dream of. As a manufacturer it is probably low, and a bit higher as a wholesaler and the highest as a retailer.

With Lux being at any level you have to make up your mind what level you are talking about.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    After seeing the devastation inflicted on the wholesale industry, I can't believe the denial from the retail.

Occupation

Blue Jumper After seeing the devastation inflicted on the wholesale industry.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

After seeing the devastation inflicted on the wholesale industry, I can't believe the denial from the retail.

.........the only devastation of the wholesale can come from not buying their products, which is all directed towards the optical retail business, which is their standard customer.

Could you please clarify what has happened, how and why.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    .........the only devastation of the wholesale can come from not buying their products, which is all directed towards the optical retail business, which is their standard customer.

Could you please clarify what has happened, how and why.

It would look like the trend is elimination of "optical retail" and towards a wholesale to customer relationship. Chris, your post in another thread in regards to "brand" being the driver of some increased prices is spot on. Luxottica, in general, is a brand driven company. I cannot say the quality in many of their lines is better than a similar frame with a wholesale price of half. That is why I say their wholesale/manuf markup is greater than many retailers' markup.

Occupation

Blue Jumper elimination of "optical retail" and towards a wholesale to customer relationship....

Quote Originally Posted by pknsbeans View Post

It would look like the trend is elimination of "optical retail" and towards a wholesale to customer relationship.

Chris, your post in another thread in regards to "brand" being the driver of some increased prices is spot on.
    Heavy advertising does cost a lot of money and effort, especially when you do it straight to the public. Any advertising cost has to be included in your selling prices and increases of the value of the products at source.

Any online seller has to figure this cost factor into their selling prices and also charge the buyer for it. That will also reduce their purchasing cost to a bare minimum.

In the old days brand name products used to be better quality and or more fashionable. These days they pay just their dues to the owner of the "brand name", whatever the quality.

Example: "RayBan" Sunglasses. The Frame was a fully gold filled, legally stamped "GF" (gold filled), and the lenses the best quality surfaced "Bausch & Lomb" sunglass lenses.

These days it is the cheapest gold colored, metal frame with some no brand tinted lenses.

However the pricing is still at an equivalent level as it was then when it was a superior quality product.

Today's optical retailers, Opticians and Optometrists will have to adapt to the new times and charge for the services they are qualified to do and provide in their own premises, item by item,...........

.............................and sell the pair of basic glasses at a similar level as the one liners do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Today's optical retailers, Opticians and Optometrists will have to adapt to the new times and charge for the services they are qualified to do and provide in their own premises, item by item,...........

.............................and sell the pair of basic glasses at a similar level as the one liners do.
    Chris, sadly this is not happening. Its groundhog day for most Opticians and Optometrists are very stubborn (and some very IQ challenged) and keep doing the same thing the same way every day until one day they realize its too late and they are forced to close their doors.

The smarter OD's have flocked to buying groups and stand proud under their umbrella to get lower costs and a group hug, however they have not lowered their selling price to the consumer to compete effectively at that level and would rather keep the savings in their own pocket.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Its groundhog day for most Opticians and Optometrists ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Chris, sadly this is not happening. Its groundhog day for most Opticians and Optometrists are very stubborn (and some very IQ challenged) and keep doing the same thing the same way every day until one day they realize its too late and they are forced to close their doors.

The smarter OD's have flocked to buying groups and stand proud under their umbrella to get lower costs and a group hug,
    however they have not lowered their selling price to the consumer to compete effectively at that level and would rather keep the savings in their own pocket.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Thank you Lab Insight for your statement, that ought to be framed and displayed in the opticians Hall of Fame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    .......and sell the pair of basic glasses at a similar level as the one liners do.
    Do all onliners sell "basic glasses" at a certain price? Should everyone sell glasses at the same lowest advertised price? I mean, is this true for all consumer goods or just glasses? Should all car dealers sell a basic car at the same, lowest-internet-priced level? Funny but I see some very successful onliners sell "basic glasses" for 10-20 X more than the price of offered by other onliners... So if the onliners don't agree on the price of "basic" glasses, how can non-onliners know what the correct price is which they must match in order to survive? I've seen non-onliners sell glasses cheaper than many onliners...so confusing. So much to learn. And this is just a discussion about "basic glasses", imagine when we start talking about advanced glasses. mama mia.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thank you Lab Insight for your statement, that ought to be framed and displayed in the opticians Hall of Fame.
    If that were to happen, they would all stare in disbelief and say it wasn't true.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper you could directly challenge the online opticals, that can not provide any ..........

Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post

Do all onliners sell "basic glasses" at a certain price? Should everyone sell glasses at the same lowest advertised price? I mean, is this true for all consumer goods or just glasses?

........................how can non-onliners know what the correct price is which they must match in order to survive?

You wont need to know all that.........................

Presently you purchase the finished glasses from your lab, or your frame wholesaler, or both, at their individual pricing. You might even do the frame and lens assembly yourself.

Then you use your own multiplier to come to your selling price.
    Your multiplier consists of warranty, service, right to exchange, free adjustments for many following years, cleaning and many more items.

So you are actually charging your customers for some services that can become active at some later date.

In order to directly compete with the online competition you would sell at a close to similar pricing as they do.

All of this would be without any services rendered as they do. You are now in direct competition with the on- liners.

You have built a customer following over the years by giving them a good and reliable service.

So, as of the new online opticals without the service you are now offering full service, or part service or whatever extras you want to offer, at a price that sounds fair to you and your experience in the field.

I strongly believe that by switching to a cost plus experience service system for your revenue, you could directly challenge the online opticals, that can not provide any personal and professional service as of this date.

This however can change within the next few months, when all Luxottica and Essilor retail stores and chains, many thousands of them, will be consolidated under one roof. They could be ahead in the way of new ideas.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They and technology will simply redefine what acceptable is, and nothing more.

Connect, be skilled and stop trying to control.

B

Occupation

Redhot Jumper ........................all that because they did not know

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

If that were to happen, they would all stare in disbelief and say it wasn't true.

........................all that because they did not know you had a captains license.

Thread Information