Has advertising quality, ethics and truthfulness got up and left in Canada?

Not too many years ago, I used to look forward to receiving the numerous industry publications (in paper form) each month by mail chalk full of interesting articles, opinions, insights and serendipity. It was always a good read over a java and a great way to relax and stay informed.

I have to admit how disappointed I am now a days with the content and how these publications will accept all advertising from any company without fact checking or background searches. Yes I know that these publications rely fully on advertising and donation revenue to stay afloat but man it seems that integrity has flown out the window.

I received the latest edition a few days ago of a well known publication. The latest copy contains an ad from a lens company claiming to be 100% independent with no retail affiliation whatsoever and only service independent ECP's. Yet they process huge volume in lenses for one of the largest retail grocery chains in Canada and sell glasses online under trademark and multiple alias online platforms.

Shouldn't the editors be held accountable for accuracy of content or has it become the wild west where we are all just spoon fed the jargon???