Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blutech reveals itself for what it is

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blutech reveals itself for what it is

I believe: 1. Blue light from computer screens does interrupt melatonin levels for some patients. 2. I haven't seen a study from anyone selling blue light protective products that measures the amount and intensity of blue light coming out of a computer. 3. Blue light from the sun is bad.

Two Sundays ago I sat in a 1 1/2 hour lecture at the Opticians Association of Massachusestts CE meeting with the CEO of Blutech, Greg Naes. One of the lectures was called "The Science of Blue Light"-one of the handouts said there was Transmittance data" to show that Blutech "is the best product on the market" due to the fact that only their product blocks 450 nm. I have asked Blutech for a week to share that data and guess what? "That data is sensitive" I was told by an optician at Blutech today, so me and my Benjamin Franklin Institute Opticianry students won't have any science from Blutech to examine and Blutech reveals itself as just another dirty lens trying pass itself off as scientifically proven.

The fact that these shady companies assume that we will sell their product without evidence-based medicine is galling. Do not put up with it opticians!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    “You know, medicine is not an exact science. But we’re learning all the time. Why, just fifty years ago, we would have thought that your daughter’s illness was brought on by demonic possession or witchcraft.”

“But nowadays, we know that she is suffering from an imbalance of bodily humors, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in her stomach.”
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...-of-york/n8661

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hear, hear.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Robert! That made me laugh out loud! Yes, I believe Theodoric of York was the lead investigator for Blutech!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd reiterate that anything without a white paper is snake oil until proven otherwise, but that would be unfair to snake oil. One of you crazy lab folk have probably figured out a way to take scratches out of lenses with snake oil and a microwave by now.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually the omega-3's in real snake oil are proven remedies/treatments for a number of ailments.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...snake-oil.html

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspoweredrobot View Post
    I'd reiterate that anything without a white paper is snake oil until proven otherwise, but that would be unfair to snake oil. One of you crazy lab folk have probably figured out a way to take scratches out of lenses with snake oil and a microwave by now.
    I see a lot of marketing in some of these white papers. Interpret with caution. Look for high quality references.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Actually the omega-3's in real snake oil are proven remedies/treatments for a number of ailments.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...snake-oil.html
    It's still snake oil.

The results of individual studies were inconsistent; some indicated that the supplements were protective, but others did not.
    There are several reasons why supplements that contain EPA and DHA may not help to prevent heart disease even though a diet rich in seafood may. Eating seafood a few times a week might provide enough of these omega-3s to protect the heart; more may not be better. Some of the benefits of seafood may result from people eating it in place of less healthful foods. There is also evidence that people who eat seafood have generally healthier lifestyles, and these other lifestyle characteristics may be responsible for the lower incidence of cardiovascular disease.
    https://nccih.nih.gov/health/omega3/introduction.htm

It's easy to be fooled by the facts.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science gets deep. I love to get lost in its trenches while watching the marketing/socialoutrage/narcissistic bombers fly over head.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Oh crap. More fake news. This OD is an ***.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/...-eye-problems/

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – You wouldn’t stare at the sun for hours on end, but you’re already doing something very similar and it’s likely having a huge impact on your eyes.

Your cellphone, tablet and even your TV use blue light. While some is necessary for good health, the kind coming from your devices will likely cause a lot of problems down the road when it comes to your eyesight.
    Depending on how long you look at the light could lead to a condition that causes blindness.
    Dr. Michael Cross owns OneVision Health and Wellness in McMurray.
    He says clinical research pointing to smartphone and tablets causing damage to the eyes should make you think twice about how long you and your kids stare at technology’s greatest gifts.
    “We’re raising this generation of kids, of young adults and even older adults who are spending hours and hours and hours of time staring at these devices,” Dr. Cross said.
    (Photo Credit: KDKA)

The problem it the blue light emitted from the screen. It’s in the exact range where it does the most harm.
    “Phones, tablets are a big source of that wavelength – 430-440 nanonmeters, that is very damaging to the eyes,” he said. “Shorter wavelength, but higher in energy. It penetrates through the lens, the cornea to get to the back of the eye, to the retina.”
    It could lead to macular degeneration, which is a serious condition that can cause blindness.
    Because of the excess exposure to blue light from things like our smartphones and tablets, the expectation is that more people will get macular degeneration and it’ll likely happen at an earlier age. But, there are things that you can do to minimize your risk.
    “There are certain apps you can put on android devices, Apple devices most of them free of charge that they will actually filter out that blue light,” Dr. Cross said.
    An even better option are special blue light blocking lenses.
    “My son for instance, he doesn’t have a prescription, he doesn’t need glasses, but he wears glasses that filter out the blue light and they’re kind of unique that they filter out the bad blue light, but let the good blue light in,” Dr. Cross said.
    It’s a precaution that Dr. Cross feels his son will thank him for one day.
    “What we’re gonna see are these kids in their teens now, 20s now, we’re not gonna see those effects for 40, 50 years,” Dr. Cross said.
    Protecting his sight from the ever-growing high-tech world, where we are the guinea pigs.
    “That’s gonna be the long term test is what happens to the people who are growing up in this digital age when they’re 70, 80 years old?” Dr. Cross said.

This is linked on the huge Drudge Report.
    Last edited by drk; 05-03-2018 at 07:44 AM.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I suggest an excellent site where you can see the emission spectrum of various devices, allows you to vary the light source and insert the simulation of various filters.
    Pay attention to the scale of the graphs, change and therefore you have to pay attention to the comparison.
    https://fluxometer.com/rainbow/#!id=...00K-iPad%20Pro

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry but I can't trust an OD who has a Wellness Center attached to his or her office.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro.Airoldi View Post
    I suggest an excellent site where you can see the emission spectrum of various devices, allows you to vary the light source and insert the simulation of various filters.
    Pay attention to the scale of the graphs, change and therefore you have to pay attention to the comparison.
    https://fluxometer.com/rainbow/#!id=...00K-iPad%20Pro

The example filters are quite misleading. Some how generic Oakley is just as protective as a Maui. Not sure why everything has to be so branded in the first place. Maybe just give a breakdown of different levels of sunglass filters- tint, variable polar, polar would be more accurate.

An interesting resource nonetheless.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    I have asked Blutech for a week to share that data and guess what? "That data is sensitive" I was told by an optician at Blutech today, so me and my Benjamin Franklin Institute Opticianry students won't have any science from Blutech to examine and Blutech reveals itself as just another dirty lens trying pass itself off as scientifically proven.

I've gotten similar responses from most companies. Shamir now has Blue Zero, which with the pen-light test is somehow more effective than BluTech's classic filter. They can't / won't explain how because 99% of the company doesn't know. This is the route many companies are heading for to have the 'best' option. Who can give the most protection/ comfort with it being the least noticeable. No one will share how because it is their 'advantage.' Can't be sharing company secrets or they won't be secrets anymore.

Occupation
    Fads..... remember Anti-Fatigue lens?
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I must be the fad queen, because all I wear are power-boost lenses with Blutech classic! That, Drivewear, and double gradient mirrors.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I must be the fad queen, because all I wear are power-boost lenses with Blutech classic! That, Drivewear, and double gradient mirrors.
    And plano amethyst Freshlooks behind all that to boot.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Zero doubt Bluetech lenses are soothing and help with people who get headaches a lot from staring at screens. That is what they do, the rest is modern day blood letting.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I KNOW!

I'm wearing a pair and I'm still tired all the time!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And plano amethyst Freshlooks behind all that to boot.
    Hahahaha! Bazinga!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Zero doubt Bluetech lenses are soothing and help with people who get headaches a lot from staring at screens. That is what they do, the rest is modern day blood letting.
    And that is how I sell them, the few that I do. People usually don't want their lenses looking like mine!

I offer most options available but am sure to explain which are for comfort vs cosmetic vs health.

The fact that I like all my lenses dark and will switch between three different pairs on my commute home if the sun is setting doesn't make it any sort of norm. But hey, when you are in the industry, you get spoiled with options.

Loving that I have my Younger Infinite Grey planos to sample already. Once I feel them out more, I'm sure they will play a big role this summer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Loving that I have my Younger Infinite Grey planos to sample already. Once I feel them out more, I'm sure they will play a big role this summer
    They have a fantastic polarization in them don't they? Super sharp for as light as it is. I'm waiting for a pair of 8 base lenses to come in for my first pair I'm fitting. The patient was super psyched when he saw the demo. I think they will sell really well to the right people (kinda like bluetech) I have a feeling cyclists will love the infinite gray lenses.

Occupation
    I can't wait to take them into the woods. I'm thinking they will be perfect for hiking but I did put them in a wood frame so that they can also be my lake pair. No more sinking sunglasses if I feel like jumping off the dock!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I understand it, the mating of polycarbonate lenses and the latest wide color gamut RGB LEDs is deadly to acuity and comfort.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    As I understand it, the mating of polycarbonate lenses and the latest wide color gamut RGB LEDs is deadly to acuity and comfort.

B
    I would love some more info on this

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Huh. I guess that I should be dyin' reading this post in my 1.67's then?

Thread Information