Thread: Brick and Mortar stores

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Confused Brick and Mortar stores

Hi all, I am new and I hope I am posting in the right thread. I am looking for a list of optical brick and mortar stores and their potential decision makers. I am looking to sell optical frames to them on a wholesale level. Anyone know where to find such a list or any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks in advance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoptic View Post
    Hi all, I am new and I hope I am posting in the right thread. I am looking for a list of optical brick and mortar stores and their potential decision makers. I am looking to sell optical frames to them on a wholesale level. Anyone know where to find such a list or any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks in advance.
    Check in the phone book or online and phone them.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In The Death of o Salesman Arthur Miller wrote:

"You don’t understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there’s no rock bottom to the life. He don’t put a bolt to a nut, he don’t tell you the law or give you medicine. He’s a man way out there in the blue riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. And then you get yourself a couple spots on your hat and your finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream boy, it comes with the territory."

So, I guess that you gotta put a shine on your shoes and smile on your face and hit the bricks.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    In The Death of o Salesman Arthur Miller wrote:

"You don’t understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there’s no rock bottom to the life. He don’t put a bolt to a nut, he don’t tell you the law or give you medicine. He’s a man way out there in the blue riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. And then you get yourself a couple spots on your hat and your finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream boy, it comes with the territory."

So, I guess that you gotta put a shine on your shoes and smile on your face and hit the bricks.
    Did Miller really say "your finished" ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Check in the phone book or online and phone them.
    Thanks for the tip but any suggestion on what to search for online? When I do search all I find are online stores...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would want a face to face with a new frame line, unless they are VERY well established, and even then I don't like to buy frames without seeing the construction first. Unless they are El-Cheapo budget frames or something very specialized like Wiley - X.

As a business owner who buys frames - if you aren't willing to come and show me your product, I have enough people coming to show me product that I don't know why I would take a chance on something else I haven't seen.

I'm only a state away, you should book the holiday inn and hit up 5-10 stores a day for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoptic View Post
    Thanks for the tip but any suggestion on what to search for online? When I do search all I find are online stores...
    Search like you are a customer or potential patient. Go to google and type(quotes included): "optical" + "optician" + "optometrist" + "city of your choice"

That is your google lesson for the day ;)

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I would want a face to face with a new frame line, unless they are VERY well established, and even then I don't like to buy frames without seeing the construction first. Unless they are El-Cheapo budget frames or something very specialized like Wiley - X.

As a business owner who buys frames - if you aren't willing to come and show me your product, I have enough people coming to show me product that I don't know why I would take a chance on something else I haven't seen.

I'm only a state away, you should book the holiday inn and hit up 5-10 stores a day for a week.

Search like you are a customer or potential patient. Go to google and type(quotes included): "optical" + "optician" + "optometrist" + "city of your choice"

+1

Most independents are touchy-feely buyers. Everyone else just gets boxes sent to them with prechosen options from corporate.

Even with my current lines- if you stop bringing in bags and expect me to make my choices from an iPad, best bet I will be ordering less.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    +1

Most independents are touchy-feely buyers.
    Agreed.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    +1

Most independents are touchy-feely buyers. Everyone else just gets boxes sent to them with prechosen options from corporate.

Even with my current lines- if you stop bringing in bags and expect me to make my choices from an iPad, best bet I will be ordering less.
    Years ago we were in a tourist area and frequently had new salesmen stop by for an initial visit stating that they would be in the area every six weeks or so. We would note that their car parked out front had out-of-state plates and the car was inhabited by a woman and three children. There was usually a surf board or rubber raft on top of the car.

That's why we never bought until the third visit.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the advise. This is very helpful. I will be happy to stop by with samples, if you are serious let me know and I will make the trip in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

Thread Information