Thread: Zeiss Choice.....and a really weird pair of lenses being presented

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss Choice.....and a really weird pair of lenses being presented

So this is kind of a fun one. And being that I have little experience with Zeiss lenses, I figured I'd float it here and get some other opinions.

I had a patient present with a Zeiss Choice with a 19mm corridor, but his seg was only 15mm. So naturally, his add was bumped up previously to accommodate for the reading area being cut off. My interpretation of this is that his previous office has essentially turned his PAL into a pseudo-blended bifocal. Rx is pretty basic, he's a +0.25 with about -1.00 of cyl in each eye. Presented with a +2.00 add, but he tested today with a +1.50 add.

My knee jerk reaction is to put him in Autograph III with a short corridor and give him what he actually needs as an add, but I wanted to seek some opinions on the Zeiss Choice first because I have no clue about this design. So really I have 5 main questions I'd like answered:

1. Is Zeiss Choice a hard or soft blended design?
    2. Is it a compensated lens design?
    3. What is the corridor drop?
    4. Does the power build quickly or slowly within the channel?
    5. Any other unique fitting characteristics about the lens I should be aware of?

I'd also be interested to see what you all would think about doing with this situation if presented to you as well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    So this is kind of a fun one. And being that I have little experience with Zeiss lenses, I figured I'd float it here and get some other opinions.

I had a patient present with a Zeiss Choice with a 19mm corridor, but his seg was only 15mm. So naturally, his add was bumped up previously to accommodate for the reading area being cut off.
    Although the near zone has been edged away, the add power will still be realized, albeit in a very small vertical and horizontal field that changes with the slightest head movement. What a stupid thing to do unless the wearer is myopic, somewhat equal distance Rx/add power, always removes for near work, and this is all explained in detail at the time of order. Not to mention, who in their right mind would allow their client to select a frame that forces a very short 15mm pupil height?

If the above is not true, than it's even stupider because the Choice comes in 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 19mm corridor lengths.

My interpretation of this is that his previous office has essentially turned his PAL into a pseudo-blended bifocal. Rx is pretty basic, he's a +0.25 with about -1.00 of cyl in each eye. Presented with a +2.00 add, but he tested today with a +1.50 add.
    I would call them crap eyeglasses.

My knee jerk reaction is to put him in Autograph III with a short corridor and give him what he actually needs as an add, but I wanted to seek some opinions on the Zeiss Choice first because I have no clue about this design.
    There aren't any good choices at 15 high. But if you can't change the frame, the optics will have to be compromised and become non-optimal.

So really I have 5 main questions I'd like answered:

1. Is Zeiss Choice a hard or soft blended design?
    I haven't seen the contour plots. I've trialed the 17mm and the 19mm. It feels softer, but with good distance vision.

2. Is it a compensated lens design?
    The distance and near powers will be equal to the prescription.

3. What is the corridor drop?
    6mm, but that's only important if there's a power disparity at 90.

4. Does the power build quickly or slowly within the channel?
    The 19mm corridor power rate of change feels slow and is as smooth as a baby's butt. The Pure and 2N are faster.

5. Any other unique fitting characteristics about the lens I should be aware of?
    Good distance vision, I use primarily as a budget lens for hyperopes with the 19mm corridor, and sometimes for computer eyeglasses.

I'd also be interested to see what you all would think about doing with this situation if presented to you as well.
    There's insufficient data to make a recommendation. Lose the narrow frame if possible.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What Robert said.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks a ton for the input, Robert. That sheds a lot of light on this whole debacle.

We're going to finalize all of the decisions this week when he comes back. I guess I'll just have to throw a dart and see where it lands. I'm pretty much just going to treat this as a new PAL wearer because his old pair is just too jacked up to even be worth considering a PAL.

Sadly, he doesn't want to change frames. But it's not exactly a small frame, and at least I get to do the measurements and start from scratch with it. So that's good. With some minor adjustment I could get his seg to a reasonable 18mm. So at least I have something to work with.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This is the primary reason that we use variable corridors for all of our IOT and Zeiss designs. Takes the idiocracy away from the optician.

If this came through at my lab, it would have instantly been put on our call stack.

Robert says it best. Crap.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bretk0923 View Post
    Thanks a ton for the input, Robert. That sheds a lot of light on this whole debacle.
    Your welcome.

We're going to finalize all of the decisions this week when he comes back. I guess I'll just have to throw a dart and see where it lands. I'm pretty much just going to treat this as a new PAL wearer because his old pair is just too jacked up to even be worth considering a PAL.

Sadly, he doesn't want to change frames. But it's not exactly a small frame, and at least I get to do the measurements and start from scratch with it. So that's good. With some minor adjustment I could get his seg to a reasonable 18mm. So at least I have something to work with.
    15mm to 18mm is more than a minor adjustment, and probably reduced the vertex distance as well. Make sure you show your client how the bottommost eyewire is out of the way when they look down to read or negotiate steps, emphasizing one of the differences between being fit by an apprentice optician and an artisan/ophthalmic optician.

Anyways, that's why we preadjust the frame before determining the lens position; frames off the rack usually fit so poor that a huge compromise must take place just to get the vision barely useable, but not optimal, and certainly not comfortable.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information