Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Where has Zeiss gone ?

  1. #1
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rossford, Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,563

    Where has Zeiss gone ?

    Called the regional rep because our local rep left. No response. What gives?

  2. #2
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    31
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.
    Wow great service.

  4. #4
    Ghost in the OptiMachine OptiBoard Silver Supporter Quince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sebago ME
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.
    You must have the most patient patient ever.

    I would have cancelled and reordered that job elsewhere a month ago.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    You must have the most patient patient ever.

    I would have cancelled and reordered that job elsewhere a month ago.
    Time for a new supplier. And it was only a SV job??? Speechless. Although up here in Canada, I hear they are having major issues. Could be a global problem?

  6. #6
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    31
    Yep, single vision with a gradient mirror. Got it back after one month with the mirror upside down and diagonal and had to send it back to redo. Last time I ever use them for mirrors.

  7. #7
    Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At a position without dimension...
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4,199
    I think a lot of Zeiss is being done by a lab in Mexico these days. At least that's what I was told about a delayed job I sent to VSP Columbus for a Gradal I couldn't switch a patient from.

  8. #8
    Forever Liz's Dad Steve Machol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Back in AZ
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    9,386
    FWIW Zeiss used to be one of the sponsors of OptiBoard but this year they decided that continuing to support this community was not worth it.


    OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

  9. #9
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,324

    Blue Jumper Zeiss is worldwide ..........................

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

    I think a lot of Zeiss is being done by a lab in Mexico these days. At least that's what I was told about a delayed job I sent to VSP Columbus for a Gradal I couldn't switch a patient from.
    ZEISS Sites Across the Globe

    The ZEISS Group operates more than 30 manufacturing sites, over 50 sales and service locations and about 25 research and development centers.



    Zeiss production sites:

    Europe







    Australasia/Asia









    Americas




    Africa



    see:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...locations.html



    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.
    In about a month we will have SV mirror polar grey in three mirror colors in stock and if you have our FastGrind system you could make a pair in 15 minutes and most likely for 1/2 the cost.

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rossford, Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    FWIW Zeiss used to be one of the sponsors of OptiBoard but this year they decided that continuing to support this community was not worth it.
    Steve, did they communicate anything to you about not being a sponsor or just not renew?

  12. #12
    Master Jedi King of the Lab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    283
    My Zeiss lab has been fantastic, everything is coming out of Montclair, CA. for me.

    My rep is good, ex-essilor employee.

    Maybe a regional problem? idk
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Time for a new supplier. And it was only a SV job??? Speechless. Although up here in Canada, I hear they are having major issues. Could be a global problem?
    What kinds of major issues are they having in Canada? I was considering using them as a supplier but I'd love to find out some details first.

  14. #14
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,760
    I hope the 1.74 Individual PAL I ordered for someone shows up ok. Maybe they will be too busy propping up Zeissman cutouts at Walmart and figuring out Humphrey visual field software. I haven't been dissapointed yet, with the product after I finished it myself. On a whim (because of federally funded managed vision) I'm letting them finish it this time. We will see.

  15. #15
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,675
    Tried using their Portland lab some years ago. Work was OK, very slow though (2-3 weeks average turn times), silly expensive, and their super duper high end AR scratched when given nothing more than a sideways glance. Needless to say the 'relationship' didn't last long.

    I do miss Daryl loads though...
    Last edited by Uilleann; 04-19-2018 at 08:43 AM.

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    What kinds of major issues are they having in Canada? I was considering using them as a supplier but I'd love to find out some details first.
    Growth too fast followed by operational issues that can't keep up. We dealt with them years ago and had so many coating crazing issues we left.

  17. #17
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,324

    Blue Jumper ZEISS is divided up into the four segments..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    Growth too fast followed by operational issues that can't keep up. We dealt with them years ago and had so many coating crazing issues we left.

    Lets not forget that Zeiss is busy in multiple sectors of the industrial markets, and the optical is split into many different optical applications and the ophthalmic side is only part of the whole program.

    here is a description from their website:

    ZEISS is an internationally leading technology enterprise operating in the optics and optoelectronics industries. The ZEISS Group develops, produces and distributes measuring technology, microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass lenses, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and semiconductor manufacturing equipment. With its solutions, the company constantly advances the world of optics and helps shape technological progress.

    ZEISS is divided up into the four segments Research & Quality Technology, Medical Technology, Vision Care/Consumer Products and Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology. The ZEISS Group is represented in over 40 countries and has more than 50 sales and service locations, upwards of 30 manufacturing sites and about 25 research and development facilities around the globe.

    In fiscal year 2016/17, the company generated revenue approximating 5.3 billion euros with around 27,000 employees. Founded in 1846 in Jena, the company is headquartered in Oberkochen, Germany. Carl Zeiss AG is the strategic management holding company that manages the ZEISS Group. The company is wholly owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).

    see more details at:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...portfolio.html

    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Lets not forget that Zeiss is busy in multiple sectors of the industrial markets, and the optical is split into many different optical applications and the ophthalmic side is only part of the whole program.

    here is a description from their website:

    ZEISS is an internationally leading technology enterprise operating in the optics and optoelectronics industries. The ZEISS Group develops, produces and distributes measuring technology, microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass lenses, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and semiconductor manufacturing equipment. With its solutions, the company constantly advances the world of optics and helps shape technological progress.

    ZEISS is divided up into the four segments Research & Quality Technology, Medical Technology, Vision Care/Consumer Products and Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology. The ZEISS Group is represented in over 40 countries and has more than 50 sales and service locations, upwards of 30 manufacturing sites and about 25 research and development facilities around the globe.

    In fiscal year 2016/17, the company generated revenue approximating 5.3 billion euros with around 27,000 employees. Founded in 1846 in Jena, the company is headquartered in Oberkochen, Germany. Carl Zeiss AG is the strategic management holding company that manages the ZEISS Group. The company is wholly owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).

    see more details at:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...portfolio.html

    All the giants are very diverse these days. The ophthalmic market globally is only so big. Companies like Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses.

  19. #19
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,324

    Redhot Jumper Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses....................

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

    All the giants are very diverse these days. The ophthalmic market globally is only so big. Companies like Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses.








    .........yes, but even Endoscopes contain a load of lenses.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  20. #20
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,675
    Medical scopes, and planetarium projectors, and DSLR lens bodies are quite a different beast from their ophthalmic division of course. And we all know it. Sadly, their ophthalmic side of things has always seemed to be a step or two off...

  21. #21
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,760
    I got those 1.74 Individuals in and they are beautiful, granted its a round frame with only 1mm decentration, but at -11.00 with about a diopter of cyl they are very very thin. Actually got them in record time, so I'm happy.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    All the giants are very diverse these days. The ophthalmic market globally is only so big. Companies like Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses.
    Hoya produces excellent polarizers and ND filters for lenses at about half the cost of Schneider’s B+W filters. Hoya filters are my go-to for screw on filters. Lee Foundation for 4x6 and 4x4 filters.

    Also, Tokina lenses are owned and produced by Hoya as well. I definitely can’t afford the Zeiss Otus, but the Tokina is a great alternative. Quality straight out of the box beats Sigma. My experience with Sigma is that it takes 2-3 returns to acquire a quality lens. One day, I might splurge for a Zeiss lens for my photographic endeavors. Until then, Canon L and Tokina.

  23. #23
    Master Jedi King of the Lab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA.
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I got those 1.74 Individuals in and they are beautiful, granted its a round frame with only 1mm decentration, but at -11.00 with about a diopter of cyl they are very very thin. Actually got them in record time, so I'm happy.
    I got my diabetic girlfriend some too, round frame -5.00 and cyl OU.

    Beautiful lens, imported straight from Germany.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

  24. #24
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    22,324

    Redhot Jumper

    Of whatever you say.....................................

    Zeiss is still the only one left, is still alive, that applied AR coatings on optical lenses in the 1930s.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  25. #25
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Elmer J Fudd's yacht
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Hoya produces excellent polarizers and ND filters for lenses at about half the cost of Schneider’s B+W filters. Hoya filters are my go-to for screw on filters. Lee Foundation for 4x6 and 4x4 filters.

    Also, Tokina lenses are owned and produced by Hoya as well. I definitely can’t afford the Zeiss Otus, but the Tokina is a great alternative. Quality straight out of the box beats Sigma. My experience with Sigma is that it takes 2-3 returns to acquire a quality lens. One day, I might splurge for a Zeiss lens for my photographic endeavors. Until then, Canon L and Tokina.
    My point exactly.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Needed: Zeiss Humphrey 750 I or Zeiss 745 I Visual Field
    By OphthalmicEquip in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 07:42 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics, Vision Equipment and Optitech USA