Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where has Zeiss gone ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where has Zeiss gone ?

Called the regional rep because our local rep left. No response. What gives?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Camblor View Post
    im Still waiting on a single vision job with mirror that I submitted in the first week of February.
    Wow great service.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You must have the most patient patient ever.

I would have cancelled and reordered that job elsewhere a month ago.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    You must have the most patient patient ever.

I would have cancelled and reordered that job elsewhere a month ago.
    Time for a new supplier. And it was only a SV job??? Speechless. Although up here in Canada, I hear they are having major issues. Could be a global problem?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep, single vision with a gradient mirror. Got it back after one month with the mirror upside down and diagonal and had to send it back to redo. Last time I ever use them for mirrors.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think a lot of Zeiss is being done by a lab in Mexico these days. At least that's what I was told about a delayed job I sent to VSP Columbus for a Gradal I couldn't switch a patient from.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    FWIW Zeiss used to be one of the sponsors of OptiBoard but this year they decided that continuing to support this community was not worth it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Zeiss is worldwide ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

I think a lot of Zeiss is being done by a lab in Mexico these days. At least that's what I was told about a delayed job I sent to VSP Columbus for a Gradal I couldn't switch a patient from.
    ZEISS Sites Across the Globe

The ZEISS Group operates more than 30 manufacturing sites, over 50 sales and service locations and about 25 research and development centers.

Zeiss production sites:

Europe

Australasia/Asia

Americas

Africa

see:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...locations.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    In about a month we will have SV mirror polar grey in three mirror colors in stock and if you have our FastGrind system you could make a pair in 15 minutes and most likely for 1/2 the cost.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    FWIW Zeiss used to be one of the sponsors of OptiBoard but this year they decided that continuing to support this community was not worth it.
    Steve, did they communicate anything to you about not being a sponsor or just not renew?

Occupation
    My Zeiss lab has been fantastic, everything is coming out of Montclair, CA. for me.

My rep is good, ex-essilor employee.

Maybe a regional problem? idk
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Time for a new supplier. And it was only a SV job??? Speechless. Although up here in Canada, I hear they are having major issues. Could be a global problem?
    What kinds of major issues are they having in Canada? I was considering using them as a supplier but I'd love to find out some details first.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope the 1.74 Individual PAL I ordered for someone shows up ok. Maybe they will be too busy propping up Zeissman cutouts at Walmart and figuring out Humphrey visual field software. I haven't been dissapointed yet, with the product after I finished it myself. On a whim (because of federally funded managed vision) I'm letting them finish it this time. We will see.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tried using their Portland lab some years ago. Work was OK, very slow though (2-3 weeks average turn times), silly expensive, and their super duper high end AR scratched when given nothing more than a sideways glance. Needless to say the 'relationship' didn't last long.

I do miss Daryl loads though...
    Last edited by Uilleann; 04-19-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    What kinds of major issues are they having in Canada? I was considering using them as a supplier but I'd love to find out some details first.
    Growth too fast followed by operational issues that can't keep up. We dealt with them years ago and had so many coating crazing issues we left.

Occupation

Blue Jumper ZEISS is divided up into the four segments..................................

Growth too fast followed by operational issues that can't keep up. We dealt with them years ago and had so many coating crazing issues we left.

Lets not forget that Zeiss is busy in multiple sectors of the industrial markets, and the optical is split into many different optical applications and the ophthalmic side is only part of the whole program.

here is a description from their website:

ZEISS is an internationally leading technology enterprise operating in the optics and optoelectronics industries. The ZEISS Group develops, produces and distributes measuring technology, microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass lenses, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and semiconductor manufacturing equipment. With its solutions, the company constantly advances the world of optics and helps shape technological progress.

ZEISS is divided up into the four segments Research & Quality Technology, Medical Technology, Vision Care/Consumer Products and Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology. The ZEISS Group is represented in over 40 countries and has more than 50 sales and service locations, upwards of 30 manufacturing sites and about 25 research and development facilities around the globe.

In fiscal year 2016/17, the company generated revenue approximating 5.3 billion euros with around 27,000 employees. Founded in 1846 in Jena, the company is headquartered in Oberkochen, Germany. Carl Zeiss AG is the strategic management holding company that manages the ZEISS Group. The company is wholly owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).

see more details at:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...portfolio.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Lets not forget that Zeiss is busy in multiple sectors of the industrial markets, and the optical is split into many different optical applications and the ophthalmic side is only part of the whole program.

here is a description from their website:

ZEISS is an internationally leading technology enterprise operating in the optics and optoelectronics industries. The ZEISS Group develops, produces and distributes measuring technology, microscopes, medical technology, eyeglass lenses, camera and cine lenses, binoculars and semiconductor manufacturing equipment. With its solutions, the company constantly advances the world of optics and helps shape technological progress.

ZEISS is divided up into the four segments Research & Quality Technology, Medical Technology, Vision Care/Consumer Products and Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology. The ZEISS Group is represented in over 40 countries and has more than 50 sales and service locations, upwards of 30 manufacturing sites and about 25 research and development facilities around the globe.

In fiscal year 2016/17, the company generated revenue approximating 5.3 billion euros with around 27,000 employees. Founded in 1846 in Jena, the company is headquartered in Oberkochen, Germany. Carl Zeiss AG is the strategic management holding company that manages the ZEISS Group. The company is wholly owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung (Carl Zeiss Foundation).

see more details at:
    https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/...portfolio.html

All the giants are very diverse these days. The ophthalmic market globally is only so big. Companies like Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses....................

All the giants are very diverse these days. The ophthalmic market globally is only so big. Companies like Zeiss and Hoya probably sell more endoscopes than lenses.

.........yes, but even Endoscopes contain a load of lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Medical scopes, and planetarium projectors, and DSLR lens bodies are quite a different beast from their ophthalmic division of course. And we all know it. Sadly, their ophthalmic side of things has always seemed to be a step or two off...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got those 1.74 Individuals in and they are beautiful, granted its a round frame with only 1mm decentration, but at -11.00 with about a diopter of cyl they are very very thin. Actually got them in record time, so I'm happy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hoya produces excellent polarizers and ND filters for lenses at about half the cost of Schneider’s B+W filters. Hoya filters are my go-to for screw on filters. Lee Foundation for 4x6 and 4x4 filters.

Also, Tokina lenses are owned and produced by Hoya as well. I definitely can’t afford the Zeiss Otus, but the Tokina is a great alternative. Quality straight out of the box beats Sigma. My experience with Sigma is that it takes 2-3 returns to acquire a quality lens. One day, I might splurge for a Zeiss lens for my photographic endeavors. Until then, Canon L and Tokina.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I got those 1.74 Individuals in and they are beautiful, granted its a round frame with only 1mm decentration, but at -11.00 with about a diopter of cyl they are very very thin. Actually got them in record time, so I'm happy.
    I got my diabetic girlfriend some too, round frame -5.00 and cyl OU.

Beautiful lens, imported straight from Germany.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Of whatever you say.....................................

Zeiss is still the only one left, is still alive, that applied AR coatings on optical lenses in the 1930s.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Hoya produces excellent polarizers and ND filters for lenses at about half the cost of Schneider’s B+W filters. Hoya filters are my go-to for screw on filters. Lee Foundation for 4x6 and 4x4 filters.

Also, Tokina lenses are owned and produced by Hoya as well. I definitely can’t afford the Zeiss Otus, but the Tokina is a great alternative. Quality straight out of the box beats Sigma. My experience with Sigma is that it takes 2-3 returns to acquire a quality lens. One day, I might splurge for a Zeiss lens for my photographic endeavors. Until then, Canon L and Tokina.
    My point exactly.

Thread Information