Thread: 8 or 9-base possible with OD +2 and OS Plano?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

8 or 9-base possible with OD +2 and OS Plano?

Person wanting Oakley (Flak 2.0 Xl specifically) to wear for baseball. OD +2 sph and OS Plano. Product came back direct from Oakley and too much distortion. Can this be corrected with better beveling? Would having both lenses equidistant and protrude in front solve issue even with a 8 or 9-base? Flaks are 8.75-base. Or better to go down to a 6-base and not deal with it?

Had same issue with a OD +4 sph, -2.25 cyl and a OS +2.5 sph and -1 cyl with the Oakley regular Flaks. Minor distortion but ok to deal with.

What do you think is best in either situation? I have a lot of athletes asking for these wrap frames and seem to be running into the distortion issue a lot.
    Last edited by dloessberg; 04-06-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Can this be corrected with better beveling? .................................

Quote Originally Posted by dloessberg View Post

Person wanting Oakley (Flak 2.0 Xl specifically) to wear for baseball. OD +2 sph and OS Plano. Product came back direct from Oakley and too much distortion. Can this be corrected with better beveling? Would having both lenses equidistant and protrude in front solve issue even with a 8 or 9-base? Flaks are 8.75-base. Or better to go down to a 6-base and not deal with it?

Had same issue with a OD +4 sph, -2.25 cyl and a OS +2.5 sph and -1 cyl with the Oakley regular Flaks. Minor distortion but ok to deal with.

What do you think is best in either situation? I have a lot of athletes asking for these wrap frames and seem to be running into the distortion issue a lot.

Your base curve is way too high and does create distortion, and you can not correct that with a bevel.

Keep base curves within established rules and if it will not fit the wrap around frame, sell them something that will.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Frreform, curve corrected compensation specifically for hi wrap, is the only answer. WileyX has a great solution for this with their wrap program and frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, an 8 base front is within Tschernings Ellipes for a best form lens with a +2.00 Rx. Some of the issues the patient is having could be Aniseikonia (with an image size difference of around 4% between a Plano and +2.00). Could also be off axis viewing as is common in baseball when batting. If the patient is viewing 10mm off OC they are looking through 2 D prism imbalance.

Best solution would be CL's. Otherwise, use an aspheric design, high abbe material (trivex for safety), and instruct the patient they will need to turn their head more toward the pitcher to eliminate/reduce diplopia induced from head tilt/angle.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I almost never have problems with wraps as long as they are well fit and measured for POW, I use mostly IOT and Wiley-X though. With the Wiley Xs I usually don't even take measurements if they are the ones cutting it.

I agree with Optical 24/7 on the +2.00/Plano pair.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The answer is: a better lab. Oakley will deny anything that doesn't look cool, not what they actually can and can't do or even what people will see relatively well out of. Sadly Maui is quite similar with very low tolerance in Rx range. Wiley is better, but if your patient is set on the sporty Flak style I would send the frame to my outside lab to make as a complete job.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Frreform, curve corrected compensation specifically for hi wrap, is the only answer. WileyX has a great solution for this with their wrap program and frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    The answer is: a better lab. Oakley will deny anything that doesn't look cool, not what they actually can and can't do or even what people will see relatively well out of. Sadly Maui is quite similar with very low tolerance in Rx range. Wiley is better, but if your patient is set on the sporty Flak style I would send the frame to my outside lab to make as a complete job.
    Which will have zero affect on diplopic off axis viewing with the above Rx....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would be so expensive. You would need a lab that can do stepped-notches (like pech optical) as well as mirrors. Not to mention having less options for polarization (I think oakley has all kinds of special colors).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Chris, an 8 base front is within Tschernings Ellipes for a best form lens with a +2.00 Rx. Some of the issues the patient is having could be Aniseikonia (with an image size difference of around 4% between a Plano and +2.00). Could also be off axis viewing as is common in baseball when batting. If the patient is viewing 10mm off OC they are looking through 2 D prism imbalance.

Best solution would be CL's. Otherwise, use an aspheric design, high abbe material (trivex for safety), and instruct the patient they will need to turn their head more toward the pitcher to eliminate/reduce diplopia induced from head tilt/angle.
    Would the "easier" road just to drop to a 6-base curve? Any of the above issues you see with going this route?

Or would suggesting Wiley X be the better way to go? The CHVAL07 seems comparable aesthetic wise, does anyone have a suggestion on Wiley frames specifically for baseball?
    Last edited by dloessberg; 04-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaketull View Post
    That would be so expensive. You would need a lab that can do stepped-notches (like pech optical) as well as mirrors. Not to mention having less options for polarization (I think oakley has all kinds of special colors).
    Oakley is actually really good about letting you know what combo their lens is. For example- they don't offer their Deep Sea Prizm lens Rx... why? I don't know. But their book will tell you it is an 'Eggplant' base color (so polar purple) and a light blue mirror (we get ours through Opticote and so does our outside lab.) If you need a recommendation for a lab that will do this without costing an arm and a leg: you should give Cherry optical a call.

Oakley doesn't have exclusive rights to specialty colors. They all come from KBCo, so any lab that has access to their lenses can replicate any Oakley combo.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oakley is actually really good about letting you know what combo their lens is. For example- they don't offer their Deep Sea Prizm lens Rx... why? I don't know. But their book will tell you it is an 'Eggplant' base color (so polar purple) and a light blue mirror (we get ours through Opticote and so does our outside lab.) If you need a recommendation for a lab that will do this without costing an arm and a leg: you should give Cherry optical a call.

Oakley doesn't have exclusive rights to specialty colors. They all come from KBCo, so any lab that has access to their lenses can replicate any Oakley combo.
    Thank you, patient is requesting clear lens however.

Occupation
    Which will have zero affect on diplopic off axis viewing with the above Rx....

I agree contacts would give better vision but we do wraps all day, both in house and with outside labs, with very little problems. Very dependent on the patient's adaptability so we always make sure to ask the right questions to get a comfortable fit.

These Rx examples are not unusual for us to work with.

Occupation
    Even easier!

I was just responding to the question of whether an outside lab could replicate Oakley's color options.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would the "easier" road just to drop to a 6-base curve? Any of the above issues you see with going this route?

Or would suggesting Wiley X be the better way to go? The CHVAL07 seems comparable aesthetic wise, does anyone have a suggestion on Wiley frames specifically for baseball?

Changing base curves, labs, colors of lenses or the moon's orientation to Earth will change the issues I mentioned in my 1st post above....

Occupation
    Whoops! I actually read the OP wrong! I though Oakley was saying they wouldn't make it because of distortion.

I stand corrected. A different lab will not help in this situation. This sounds like a non-adapt to the frame style / wrap.

Occupation

This has me wondering- we add a small amount of base IN prism when making wraps in house, with this kind of indifference, is there a correction that can be made using ground in prism to alleviate this issue?

I understand that contacts would be the easier way to get better vision, but this sounds like a feasible option for those who don't/ can't wear them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has me wondering- we add a small amount of base IN prism when making wraps in house, with this kind of indifference, is there a correction that can be made using ground in prism to alleviate this issue?

I understand that contacts would be the easier way to get better vision, but this sounds like a feasible option for those who don't/ can't wear them.
    Adding 1/4 to 1/2 D prism In is a common practice on wrap eye wear to compensate for lens tilt, but you still have Prentice Rule to deal with on off axis viewing. On Rx’s with similar powers OU, the wearer experiences yoked prism when viewing away from the OC’s, so no prismatic induced diplopia.

But with dis-similar Rx’s there will be opposing Prismatic effects eye to eye. With the above Rx, the +2.00 eye will experience 1 D of prism for every 5 mm’s viewed away from it’s OC. The Plano eye will experience none. There is no ground in prism that can counter the affect of dis-similar prismatic effects when viewing off OC’s for these unfortunate patients. These patients have to nose point more and keep their viewing close to the OC’s to reduce/eliminate prism induced diplopia.

Disclaimer: Before it’s mentioned, Bi-centric grinding (slab off) can be done on even SV’s to displace a lens’ prismatic effect in a given area, I don’t think it practical or useful in a distance pair of baseball glasses ( the line would be vertical for in/out prism). Now if we were talking about a pool player who needed a slab off on the top part of their glasses, that’s another story and thread.
    Last edited by optical24/7; 04-08-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added slab off info

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Person wanting Oakley (Flak 2.0 Xl specifically) to wear for baseball. OD +2 sph and OS Plano. Product came back direct from Oakley and too much distortion.
    Has your client worn Rx eyeglasses heretofore?

As George noted, there will probably be image size disparity that may cause distorted spatial perception. The brain can adapt, but adaptation varies between individuals. Solutions vary depending on the answer to the above question and other factors, i.e., what is your client's goal- safety, comfort, visual performance, etc.

More...

http://www.opticaldiagnostics.com/info/aniseikonia.html

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    There is no ground in prism that can counter the affect of dis-similar prismatic effects when viewing off OC’s for these unfortunate patients. These patients have to nose point more and keep their viewing close to the OC’s to reduce/eliminate prism induced diplopia.
    Thank you for clarifying this

Occupation
    Optometrist

This is my vote ^^.

I would tell the anisohyperopic kid to not wear sport specs at all. He doesn't need it.

If he's old enough and cares enough, a unilateral CL.

Those sports goggles are funky enough. Popping in a giant plus lens on one side is silly.

If he must, must, must wear sports specs, you need to look up one that has a flat front and isn't a 60 eyesize.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ..................here is the perfect answer

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

If he must, must, must wear sports specs, you need to look up one that has a flat front and isn't a 60 eye size.

..................here is the perfect answer

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The color is one thing. The ability to edge those stepped notches is another.

Thread Information