Thread: Hand Edger Inquiry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hand Edger Inquiry

Hey everyone,
    We just got a new remote tracer in our office here to connect with the lab. We are thinking of also getting a hand edger(with a bevel section on the wheel) so that if any lenses come in slightly too big i can grind them down a bit. Any suggestions on good companies to look into that may have these?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    jc17777:

I find that Inland Diamond, link:

https://inlanddiamond.com/optical/fi...-hand-edger-2/

has several types of nice hand edgers. This one has a large 6" wheel and is easy to use for a novice, or a pro. The water feed can be supplemented by a overhead tank, too.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    https://www.amconlabs.com/product/18...dger-by-Amcon/

Which lab are you doing remote edging with?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    We just got a new remote tracer in our office here to connect with the lab. We are thinking of also getting a hand edger(with a bevel section on the wheel) so that if any lenses come in slightly too big i can grind them down a bit. Any suggestions on good companies to look into that may have these?
    We have them with a bonded wheel ( last a lot longer and can be re dressed) www.superoptical.com Mention OptiBoard and get a 20% discount.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into these. We are doing a trial for the remote edging with Nikon but even if we don't stick with the remote edging it would still be nice to have a hand edger in the office

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    We have them with a bonded wheel ( last a lot longer and can be re dressed) www.superoptical.com Mention OptiBoard and get a 20% discount.
    Hey Don, just to confirm that pricing is in US dollars? also is there a shipping fee to Canada?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just ordered this at expo. Pretty simple set up, but I don't need much since our lenses don't come in large often.

https://www.hilcovision.com/f/hand-edger

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    I just ordered this at expo. Pretty simple set up, but I don't need much since our lenses don't come in large often.

https://www.hilcovision.com/f/hand-edger
    Thanks for the info, We deal with Hilco so this is one of the ones ive been looking into

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's on back order so I won't get it for a couple weeks to give any reviews, but we got it for less since we are a platinum account and expo special...plus free shipping. We saw the same model from another company (DAC? I can't recall) It was less but no free shipping. It ended up being the same price, so we just got it from Hilco since we had other stuff to order at the same time. Just easier. A bonus with this hand edger is that you don't need a water line. Just basically a bucket of water on the top. AND... It's small! maybe a foot wide? Perfect for us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into these. We are doing a trial for the remote edging with Nikon but even if we don't stick with the remote edging it would still be nice to have a hand edger in the office
    Hope it goes well. You will get great thicknesses with remote tracing. However, I've heard some horror stories about sizing being off. It's usually only an issue for metal frames to get the barrels to close and touch perfectly.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Hope it goes well. You will get great thicknesses with remote tracing. However, I've heard some horror stories about sizing being off. It's usually only an issue for metal frames to get the barrels to close and touch perfectly.
    Thats exactly what im worried about. If i get the hand edger than I can always edge them down if they are too big at least

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Always get a c-size. Also good idea to ask your lab to send you a few lenses with their c-sizes on them to make sure your c-sizer is calibrated to theirs. We just have a little strap c-sizer, but we know how ours is compared to the lab. It's very rare for us to have a lens off, but it's always a good idea to have the hand edger just in case.

Thread Information