Thread: Is an ophthalmic technician a scarce job?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Is an ophthalmic technician a scarce job?

I've been offered an ophthalmic technician job while I have no experience with a good practice in New York. I'm rather surprised to have advanced to this stage, which makes me question why they seem so desperate to fill this position. They are offering 16/hr so 30-33k and they will train me for 6 weeks and after 6 months of OTJ training, I can take the exam to get certified hopefully. I'm not sure if this job is worth my time and efforts right now at the starting salary and if I'll be able to make much money in the future as an ophthalmic technician down south.... I will be living down south within the next two years probably. Is it a job that is hard to find/get down south? Is it a scarce job in general?

Aside from moving with a year or two, I plan to start trying for kids sometime next year. If I have a baby, I will want a part time job, is it even harder to find ophthalmic technician Part Time jobs?

I know it's a job that doesn't really allow room for growth aside from raises nor does it have promotions, so I assume that down south people who get certified and get this position, probably stay in the position at a doctor's office until they retire....so I'm thinking finding this job position would be tough and it's not a broad field. The other type of job I'm looking into is medical billing which seems more in demand as far as job listings go and seems like a broader field.

I've read online that after many years at the same doctors office, you will probably cap off at making 40k as an ophthalmic tech down south and the salary of 40k might even still be a high goal to achieve for down there.... if you can get really super lucky you can get to 45k. I'm not sure if this is correct information and came to this forum for help in making my decision on this job offer.

Basically, I have a dilemma right now trying to decide on a few things:
    1. Which job is better- ophthalmic technician or a medical biller?
    2. If a job I've been offered as an ophthalmic technician is worth my time and efforts or if it will end up being a waste because I won't be able to find work in this position so easily down south in a location where I want to live and if I will even make much money in this position eventually or if I'll cap off at 40k .....
    3. If, considering my personal life goals, this job is even a good fit for me- having a baby next year, looking for part time work as a tech...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Schools turn out a lot of people with medical billing degrees. Every medical practice needs billers where as only eye doctors need ophthalmic techs. I often see resumes where a graduate with a billing degree does not work in the field for several years so my assessment is the supply is greater than the demand.

There are far fewer ophthalmic technicians out there than medical billers. My assumption is that a certified technician should be able to find a job in any city provided they have a can do attitude. For example if an excellent technician with the right attitude and a good reference showed up in our city, I would likely hire them anticipating a future need even if I didn't have an immediate need.

I doubt you will command NY salaries down South, but the good news is you won't have to pay NY rent.

Thread Information