Thread: Lab Certifications

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Lab Certifications

Opticians have a few different certifications they can obtain (ABO, NCLE, etc), along with varying degrees of each. Are there equivalents or similar certifications for optical lab staff? Are there classes/workshops specifically tailored to lab techs or manufacturers, even if they don't come with a title?

If not, can anyone tell me how useful an ABO certification would be for lab techs/staff?

Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am an adjunct professor for the Vision Care Technology Program at the Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute (SIPI) which is a community college for Native Americans. The VCT program offers a Certificate and Associates Degree with emphasis on ABO prep. This one of just a few institutions which offer hands on training in a lab setting to include surfacing, edging, assembly, and verification utilizing ANSI standards. Dispensing, fitting of eyewear and contacts, refraction and pre testing are all part of the curriculum. I believe other Optician schools focus on the later.

Most Lab Techs without formal education usually receive on the job training and might be limited to just one task in the lab such as blocking, generating, fine/polish, etc. The more tasking positions such as layout and final inspection are usually held by ABO certified positions.

Benefits of ABO for a lab tech are a complete understanding of eyewear fabrication, lens theory , optical formulas and their applications. In addition, ABO certified personnel with an average higher salary.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    I started out as an optician and now manage a small surfacing lab. As of now I work both sides- I buy frames, make sales, troubleshoot and dispense, as well as surfacing lenses and doing research on what new products we want to try.

I think the ABO can be even more statement making for a lab technician than optician because it shows that you want to understand how the multiple side of the industry work together as well as prove your ambition. A lab background does help on the floor (and vice versa) and will also give you a technical advantage in obtaining your certification.

I'm very proud of my ABO title and would love to have some sort of distinguished lab letters to place after my name as well.

And as mentioned above, the increase in pay is usually standard. Not only that but a lot more doors will open for you if you decide to ever switch companies or relocate.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Sounds like we need to find some combination of letters that sounds official and charge everyone lots of money to get them!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    LAB (Like A Boss)
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    We require all of our lab techs to obtain and maintain their ABO certs. What I find is that it’s much easier to bring new products on board. The staff are energized to learn processes and products, which in turn, helps me to train them. They have a higher understanding of why we do what we do and why we process what we process.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Well, well, well.................................

Well, well, well.................................

your are on the way to invent the doctorate of optical laboratory business. (knowing more or better has never hurt anybody)

.....while Essilor is training 3,000 unemployed young people to refract and test the eyesight in outlying areas of India.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Well, well, well.................................

your are on the way to invent the doctorate of optical laboratory business. (knowing more or better has never hurt anybody)

.....while Essilor is training 3,000 unemployed young people to refract and test the eyesight in outlying areas of India.
    How about "Optical Laboratory Bachelor of Science....OLBS.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    BLSHT-------Bachelors of Laboratory Sciences of Honorable Technicians?

Thread Information