Thread: Rx Sunglasses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Rx Sunglasses

Can anyone tell me why prescription sunglasses are generally less dark than plano sunglasses of the same type and model? In general a sunglass bought off the shelf would be more darker than the same sunglass made into Rx; why is it so?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Sunglass demo lenses could be made from anything and from anywhere. They could be tinted or polarized and with or without backside reflective coating or mirror. We have had issues in the past with offering polarized gradients because 90% of the time they won't match any demo. I always show an example of the lenses that will be used when adding the Rx so the patient knows exactly what their lenses will look like. If the demos come with a special coating, as stated above, I will be sure to offer them separately whereas they won't automatically be added on.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'm having problems too with customer expectations. They have a choice to buy plano polarized sunglasses or to get the same sunglasses as Rx. The problem arises when the Rx are not as dark as the plano ones. The lab is also not giving me the option to get them darker.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Two words: flash mirror coating.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Coppertone and Xperio lenses are the two darkest I've seen, flash mirror coatings are great. And I agree with Quince - HAVE SAMPLES they can see through before they decide, no surprises, no returns. Forget showing them on a website or app what it will "look like" nothing is as foolproof or effective as demos of the exact lenses you will be selling them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    And a good part of the time, I agree: the polar lenses don't look dark, in a mirror.

Ergo, flash! You can't see your eyes = "they're dark!"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Most of the planos on the market are vacuum coated tints, which explains two things. One, they can be applied on all materials, and two, they are uniformly consistent and dark. Ophthalmic lenses are limited by the tintability of the material and/or the hard coat. Having samples on hand to show your patients what your labs (outside or inside) can provide is key.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Most of the planos on the market are vacuum coated tints, which explains two things. One, they can be applied on all materials, and two, they are uniformly consistent and dark.

That is super helpful to know! Now I have an actual explanation to back why it can be so hard to match demos for certain frames.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper tell me why prescription sunglasses are generally less dark .....................

Quote Originally Posted by onthegrind View Post

Can anyone tell me why prescription sunglasses are generally less dark than plano sunglasses of the same type and model? In general a sunglass bought off the shelf would be more darker than the same sunglass made into Rx; why is it so?

Very simple, there are millions of pre-finished sunglasses sold every year of the shelf to the public for protection against bright light and UV protection and fashion and comfort.

The darker type lenses are the most sold ones, of the shelf.

If you get Rx lenses you have all the possibilities from light to dark coatings as you want and so forth and you pay the price for whatever you select and get.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks for that explanation Lensmanmd. That's the most informed answer I got so far. It explains alot.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by onthegrind View Post
    Probably because most consumers think darker is better, that white fabric tinted blue makes it look whiter, music limited dynamically to sound louder is better, that heavier cars can turn and stop faster than lighter vehicles, etc.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information