Thread: Amazon looks to buy Toys R Us..........Essilor has LensCrafters to service online...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Amazon looks to buy Toys R Us..........Essilor has LensCrafters to service online...

Amazon looks to buy Toys R Us..........Essilor has LensCrafters to service online purchases, after the merger.

What do you think ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Amazon looks to buy Toys R Us..........Essilor has LensCrafters to service online purchases, after the merger.

What do you think ?
    Must be a cold day in Canada

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

What do you think ?
    I don't think so...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/20/news...-us/index.html

Occupation

Blue Jumper the moment of it becoming a fact in the optical, will get closer by the hour.........

It was ll over the Newspaper this morning, saying that Amazon will need local outlets for their food delivery ordered online. So they will need local service.

Thinking onto the optical with the Essilux dominating the online opticals on a worldwide basis they will also be looking for a eyeglass service, for their online orders that come directly out of a lab somewhere, and are shipped to the end user who has had no proper adjustment.

They will have the use of the some 5,000 LensCrafter stores, which most probably will be their basic service stop to take over the adjustment and service part, most probably for a fee determined by the owners of the chain.

Start thinking about this, as the moment of it becoming a fact in the optical, will get closer by the hour.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So you're saying we need to get in on that gravy train?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Toys r Us is an interesting case because it demonstrates the need to remain connected to your consumer. I'm an older Millennial, and grew up-- like many others of my generation-- feeling as though I had a personal relationship with the brand. It meant something to me, engaged me, and that engagement translated into sales (via my parents, of course). I was a "Toys r Us Kid." Even as I got older and had disposable income of my own, a job, and a diminished interest in Toys, it was still a destination for video games and accessories-- I can recall going there to purchase electronics in my teens.

I've got two adolescent nieces, and my wife is a school teacher, and the interesting thing we've discovered in the wake of TRU closing is that no one we know in their target demographic had any meaningful connection to the brand. They are not "Toys r Us Kids." To them it's just another store with no appreciable meaningfulness. For a retailer that almost literally defined a generation, it's amazing they weren't able to translate that brand loyalty to another generation, or keep their customers engaged as they aged. We don't have kids, so it wasn't a regular destination for me, but I'm surprised that they were unable to keep other people of my generation coming back for their own children.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My wife and I were at a Toys R Us a few weeks ago looking for a birthday present and I was struck by how truly horrible their selection was. Almost everything in the store was tied in to someone else's brand marketing; Disney, Warner Bros, Marvel, etc. There was absolutely nothing unique or original in the entire store. I told Marlena that I didn't see how they could stay in business with that business model.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post

Must be a cold day in Canada

.....................I hear it is not to bad for March weather, however being in Naples Florida we had a hot February and a nice up and down March fo far.

Thread Information