Thread: Varilux Lens yellow

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Varilux Lens yellow

Help. I have a patient who insists that she sees a strong yellow through her new Variulx X lenses. I have already redone them once switching her from the Forte to the Sapphire in the hopes of reducing or eliminating the yellow. When I inspect them against a very daylight led I don't see any colour degradation. Is this the new smart blue filter? How can I avoid this when I remake again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Assuming it's the smart blue filter, I personally think it's unlikely since I wear the Eyezen with Xtractive and Avance and I don't notice any color difference when I put on my old glasses that are Autograph III SV with Xtractive and Avance. The only thing you could do is switch to a non-digital Varilux lens (since all of their digitals have the smart blue filter) or a non-Varilux/Essilor digital lens that does not have a blue filter added.

The only other thing that I can think of to rule out is to make sure the lens is not cut too big (how that would make a difference I don't know, but I feel we're already beyond the realm of reasonable explanations)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post
    Help. I have a patient who insists that she sees a strong yellow through her new Variulx X lenses. I have already redone them once switching her from the Forte to the Sapphire in the hopes of reducing or eliminating the yellow. When I inspect them against a very daylight led I don't see any colour degradation. Is this the new smart blue filter? How can I avoid this when I remake again.

Possible added causes:
    add change
    prism thinning introduction, if new presbyope, or brand shift
    above with change of index of refraction choice.

Just my opinion!
    Eyes wide open

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I would think Sapphire would be worse since it is a bluer AR. I think we determined that Forte is equal to Avance, correct? Just making sure I am picturing residual color accurately.

The Smart Blue filter shouldn't interfere, but material could be a factor. Maybe switch to Trivex or CR39 if in poly or Hi Index.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post
    Yellowing of the optical media of the eye due to cataracts would cause a strong yellow tinge to objects, especially whites. If it's a slight yellow color around black text then consider chromatic aberration.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She just recently had cataract surgery. It's not that. Thanks for all your responses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What material is the lens? That stupid smart blue filter looks much more yellow in some materials than others. Ive had a few patients complain but most don't.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.67 tends to have some color with any blue-filtering material. It's why we described our TheraBlue product as "nearly clear" when it was introduced several years ago. TheraBlue is not a coating.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    The only thing you could do is switch to a non-digital Varilux lens (since all of their digitals have the smart blue filter) or a non-Varilux/Essilor digital lens that does not have a blue filter added.
    It is the Smart Blue Filter, jpways is right about the only way to get around it. You can see the yellowing of the filter, just lay any Varilux lens on white paper and it's noticeably colored. Very mild, I've only had 2 customers ever notice it. One just commented but doesn't mind, the other I had to remake into non-digital Varilux.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always mention the color during the sale. I promote it as a benefit, by having the patient look at a blue-ish flourescent light with and without a lens with the Smart Blue filter. I then comment how it "softens" the light and is a very comfortable lens to wear. I also show it against my eye, so they can see it doesn't really look yellow against the skin. Most patients are fine with the slight discoloration against white paper, and once I let them know this "benefit" is free, they are usually quite happy with it.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    It is the Smart Blue Filter, jpways is right about the only way to get around it. You can see the yellowing of the filter, just lay any Varilux lens on white paper and it's noticeably colored. Very mild, I've only had 2 customers ever notice it. One just commented but doesn't mind, the other I had to remake into non-digital Varilux.
    Same, my graphic designer patients all wanted their lens re-made into something else.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ajonesgirl View Post
    I always mention the color during the sale. I promote it as a benefit, by having the patient look at a blue-ish flourescent light with and without a lens with the Smart Blue filter. I then comment how it "softens" the light and is a very comfortable lens to wear. I also show it against my eye, so they can see it doesn't really look yellow against the skin. Most patients are fine with the slight discoloration against white paper, and once I let them know this "benefit" is free, they are usually quite happy with it.
    In the event that you are fitting and dispensing these lenses, I think you are doing the only thing we can do. At least then they can't be "surprised" by the end product.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    (Disclaimer- Essilor employee)

As usual, the forum here has provided good advice. The only thing I would add is you can stay with a digital Varilux product that doesn't have Smart Blue Filter (Varilux Physio Enhanced does not have SBF). Since you mentioned the patient has recently had cataract surgery, I'm guessing the material isn't high index (since the MD usually reduces distance correction during the procedure). I would note that Trivex is the most noticeably yellow material (whether or not it has Smart Blue Filter), so if a patient is commenting on color shift, that is one material to avoid. As you can imagine, Essilor did quite a bit of consumer testing to ensure the average patient would perceive SBF lenses to have the same clarity as regular clear lenses, but there are always going to be "outlier patients."

Beginning in May, you'll have a choice on whether you want to include the Smart Blue Filter Feature in the Varilux lenses you dispense. There will be both regular clear and blue filtering material options.

Best regards,
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm glad that we will have the choice soon. I ended up fitting the patient in another Varilux product without the blue filter. I just hope it's a comparable design to her older Zeiss lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    (Disclaimer- Essilor employee)

As usual, the forum here has provided good advice. The only thing I would add is you can stay with a digital Varilux product that doesn't have Smart Blue Filter (Varilux Physio Enhanced does not have SBF). Since you mentioned the patient has recently had cataract surgery, I'm guessing the material isn't high index (since the MD usually reduces distance correction during the procedure). I would note that Trivex is the most noticeably yellow material (whether or not it has Smart Blue Filter), so if a patient is commenting on color shift, that is one material to avoid. As you can imagine, Essilor did quite a bit of consumer testing to ensure the average patient would perceive SBF lenses to have the same clarity as regular clear lenses, but there are always going to be "outlier patients."

Beginning in May, you'll have a choice on whether you want to include the Smart Blue Filter Feature in the Varilux lenses you dispense. There will be both regular clear and blue filtering material options.

Best regards,
    Pete

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper ..............yellow is the only color that neutralizes blue

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

What material is the lens? That stupid smart blue filter looks much more yellow in some materials than others. Ive had a few patients complain but most don't.

..............yellow is the only color that neutralizes blue

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she just had a cataract surgery, maybe it's her new eye lens. Did you check that? Maybe she has a special lens, that interferes with the blue filter of her glasses.

Thread Information