Thread: Theraspecs = FL-41?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Theraspecs = FL-41?

Patient is interested in Theraspecs for migraines. From what I could find, their site states that these glasses will only helps depending on what causes the migraine- specifically harsh light.

There are two different options- indoor and outdoor. The indoor is a light rose color and the outdoor is a dark brown. The site lists the outdoor only as being polarized.

My confusion is this: There is a correlation with FL-41, which is a tint. BPI shows it as being a brown. If the brown lens is polarized, I wouldn't expect it to also have an extra tint applied. Maybe a brown 1 polar tinted with the FL-41? From the color shown from BPI, I do not think the FL-41 could be for the light rose indoor set. Anyone know if there a specific tint that would best fit to replicate the indoor filter?

Sorry if this inquiry is too jumbled- not sure how to better explain how the information is bouncing around in my head!

https://www.theraspecs.com/

https://www.theraspecs.com/fl-41-glasses/

http://www.colorlenses.com/

Thanks to anyone with any insight on either/or products!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just reading their FAQs I notice 2 possible differences between their lenses and any other FL-41
    1. Their outdoor lens is polarized (though I see no reason that you couldn't get a Polarized Brown 1 blank and if you know the proper tint procedure end up with FL-41)
    2. They promise an exact FL-41 tint. This one I have trouble believing, I seriously doubt that the tint the you buy in a bottle would create that different of a graph from a spectrometer then anything they can do. I'd want to know if they stick every lens in a spectrometer and reject anything that doesn't meet their exact graph requirements.

They also have fitovers https://www.theraspecs.com/cart.php?...0-12f0421cd231 (this is both the indoor and outdoor tints, they can be bought individually) with a 60 day money back guarantee. Depending on the cost of prescription lenses I would suggest to the patient that they trial one of the fitovers before having the lenses made. Their FAQs say some patients see immediate results, but as a migraine suffering optician I'm not going to be rushing out to buy these because I think the indoor tint of Transitions XTRActive is already pushing my tolerance for tint darkness indoors and I could not see wearing these full time indoors. As an outdoor product it's such a specific tint that, depending on the cost, I'm not sure there's any benefit over other commercially available products.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fl-41 is definitely a rose color when it is a lighter tint, fwiw.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This tint will never die it seems! LOL

If the patient is stuck in a constant time loop in the late 1980's...perhaps the tint will help. Granting, of course, that they're working on old CRT screens with terrible refresh rates, and visible flicker. In addition to the old greenish fluorescent tubes common in office work spaces and schools back then. Those are the scenarios and conditions under which the tint was actually developed.

Lighting and computer screen technology has progressed far ahead today from where we once were waaaaay back in the 80's. Shouldn't your migraine treatment move forward as well?

Occupation
    Awesome thank you guys for the clarification! This info will help me better explain options to the optician and the patient.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Though I agree with Uillean on not over selling the therapeutic values of FL-41, I do fill RXs for it and it is a very expensive BPI tint. It is an extremely comfortable tint and one I have had many migraine sufferers say is wonderful to wear when they are having a migraine or about to get one. Thats purely anecdotal, but a light tinted FL-41 blank relaxes my eyes quite a bit if I hold one up in front of my eyes. Still though, it is EXPENSIVE.

Occupation
    Just don't tell people that it is a cure.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Though I agree with Uillean on not over selling the therapeutic values of FL-41, I do fill RXs for it and it is a very expensive BPI tint. It is an extremely comfortable tint and one I have had many migraine sufferers say is wonderful to wear when they are having a migraine or about to get one. Thats purely anecdotal, but a light tinted FL-41 blank relaxes my eyes quite a bit if I hold one up in front of my eyes. Still though, it is EXPENSIVE.
    Heard. I think it is comparable in price to the Monochrome Red 600 I just tinted five plano sets with for the color deficient. The price was why I did so many at once and I am trying to save the remaining mixture for future use. I don't like waste...

I wear BLuTech- like all the time. I get that a lot of people think it's ugly, but I love the way my eyes feel. That being said, I don't push it. 98% of the time, I don't even mention it as an option unless someone has asked questions to steer me in that direction. So I certainly won't be encouraging the FL-41, but now that I have a general understanding, can confirm I can make it for them. Thanks for fleshing out your personal experience with it!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Just don't tell people that it is a cure.
    Buzzkill...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Buzzkill...
    I'm sorry lol, I couldn't help myself.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Thread Information