Thread: Big E Buying Control Of Retail Dispensaries, Is this true or just rumors?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Big E Buying Control Of Retail Dispensaries, Is this true or just rumors?

I have heard from multiple professional offices that they have been offered or excepted 10s of thousands dollars to get control of the lab orders for a certain amount of years. One former customer of ours suddenly stopped send almost all orders, then gradually decreased to no work at all. Whit them going full into the retail, I can see where they'd want to lock in as many customers as possible. Can anyone answer questions about this?
    Is this true?
    If so, How much do they pay? For how long is my obligation? Does the dollar amount increase as the time goes on? Does big E usually, eventually get complete control of the business? Just for starters.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes its been happening for a long while it seems in the DC metro area, I'm not sure of the specifics.

Also Big E is in tight with My Eye Dr who basically does exactly what you said as far as taking over control. I actually love them because they are killing my competition for me.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Yes its been happening for a long while it seems in the DC metro area, I'm not sure of the specifics.

Also Big E is in tight with My Eye Dr who basically does exactly what you said as far as taking over control. I actually love them because they are killing my competition for me.
    If I had to guess, I say the next major big E acquisition would be the MyEyeDoctor chain.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I've heard you can get a free edger for a contract to use their lab(s) for uncuts. and the beat goes on.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    I've heard you can get a free edger for a contract to use their lab(s) for uncuts. and the beat goes on.
    If you have a decent practice, you should not settle for just an edger. From some of the rumors I've heard.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper If you have a decent practice, you should not settle for just an edger...............

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

If you have a decent practice, you should not settle for just an edger. From some of the rumors I've heard.

You do not get a free edger, at any time.......................................................

You sign a paper that you owe them whatever it is, for the edger. If you run out of customers and money they can take your office over for the amount you owe.

That is an old trick in the optical and was used by Imperial Optical in Canada for many years.You want to be independent do not take any so called free offers from a supplier without a lawyers opinion.

Thread Information