Thread: Near Variable Focus (Workspace) adaptation issues

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Near Variable Focus (Workspace) adaptation issues

Hi, everyone! I'm a dispensing optician in Michigan, and I've only been at this position for a year and 5 months. The Dr I work for keeps prescribing the Shamir Workspace lens to people who have very little distance prescription, which has resulted in adaptation issues with a lot of our patients, resulting in refunds and lost revenue. I've spoken to this Dr about it before, but the Dr always seems to forget, or not believe me, or something. So the Dr tells the patients all about this great lens (which the Dr and every PAL-user in the office wears), and they get hyped up about it, and when I tell them it might not be the best lens for them, they steamroll me and insist on having it, despite my warnings. So they pay hundreds for glasses that they can't use, and get angry with me when the glasses "don't work", and it's a mess and it makes us all look bad. What should I do?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wait a sec..... your doc is prescribing a lens design that only offers 10 feet of clarity to your patients with true PAL needs? Of course they don't like it cuz they're getting too much plus power when trying to drive or watch tv, etc. Not only are you losing money on remakes and lost clientele base but also on second pair sales.

Very bizarre

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me clarify: the Dr prescribes it as an office lens, as opposed to a primary pair.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Document it...every time. You need evidence, and the financial cost is what they usually react to, as proof that it's not YOU.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm a fan of the Computer/Workspace design and its great that your OD is too! But not every client needs range of 10 feet, in fact the primary need in our day n age is computer monitor usage (5 ft range.) So you can still say "the Workspace is a great lens but if you don't need to see beyond your monitor then the Computer option will be much more beneficial,' etc. Your fellow staff members like the Workspace cause they're prolly walking around the office doing more than just stationed at a monitor.

The beauty of this lens (for some) is that a dip of the chin is all thats needed to allow them to see "down the hall or across the room."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You definitely need to reinforce that the workspace lens is a SECOND pair only, one that they can leave at work. If the patient "balks" at this and only wants the one pair of computer, tell them you'll just clarify with the doc and then walk in the back for sip of your soda. ; ) Personally, I tried all the Zeiss office lenses; room, desk and book. I was not a fan of them at all. I am loathe to admit it, but I absolutely love the Essilor computer lens. That little bit of distance at the very top comes in handy sometimes. My OD will not write for them, though. He puts patients in a PAL for both everyday and computer glasses. In the meantime, here I sit dispensing, with my ten pairs of glasses with the Essilor computer. smh

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I certainly have been documenting it - it has happened 4 times now, each time resulting in a refund! It's very frustrating!

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Does each patient not like the Workspace for the same reasons? All different? If they are understanding it is not a primary pair and meant for a desk environment, I would want to know the reason for the non-adapts. It sounds like other patients are using it successfully.

Also- why refund? That is your opportunity to prove you know what you are doing and restyle them into an appropriate lens. If you give a refund, you are accepting that you cannot satisfy your patients needs. I get that that is probably not up to you, but I'm sure the practice manager wouldn't frown on offering to fix the problem and keep the patient.

Another plus of the Computer, over Workspace, is that the wider field is prime for dual monitors.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information